Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#55869 - 05/11/05 11:02 PM purse/bookbags/shoulderbags?
MadridGirl273 Offline

I had just a general question about what's most appropriate to carry with me when roaming throughout the city. Are backpacks a sure sign of tourists? Shoulderbags are target for pickpocketers? Thanks for any insight.

#55870 - 05/12/05 02:49 AM Re: purse/bookbags/shoulderbags?
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
MadridGirl, it's gonna be hard for you not to be pointed at as tourist. Any of us when we go to a foreign country do look like one. I usually use backpacks when travelling abroad, and when I am in a crowded place I'm more careful that's all.

#55871 - 05/12/05 11:02 AM Re: purse/bookbags/shoulderbags?
nevado Offline

A leather backpack or a shoulder bag (like the ones that look like pre-backpack schoolbags) might be less conspicuous than a modern backpack. But, I don't think it really matters, just be careful not to keep anything valuable inside unless it's locked.

#55872 - 05/12/05 01:37 PM Re: purse/bookbags/shoulderbags?
lindah Offline

Loc: Seattle
Definitely be careful about keeping valuable things in a backpack/shoulder bag. A friend of mine almost lost her wallet on the Metro to a pickpocket. She was keeping it in her leather backpack/purse and a pickpocket opened her bag and almost had her wallet when my friend turned around and caught her. It was pretty slick. She had a jacket over an arm to kind of cover up what her hand was doing....if my friend hadn't turned around and caught her, she would have lost her wallet for sure.

If you can find one, I don't think a nice shoulder tote would be out of place...Perhaps something that zips on top too. That way, when you're riding the Metro, it's not as susceptible to pickpockets.

In Cordoba, I used a backpack and a messenger bag depending on how many books/things I had to carry, but I would have stuck out their regardless. From what I can remember, most of the Spanish women in the dorm that I lived in used shoulder totes/duffles.

#55873 - 05/13/05 08:38 AM Re: purse/bookbags/shoulderbags?
albert Offline

Loc: madrid
I'm pretty sure neither the backpack nor the shoulder bag will be the real problem. There are a number of things you can try to do or avoiding doing, so has not to draw attention.

Don't carry any purses that do not close 100%, nor any purses that leave big gaps in the flaps, for example. Avoid purses with long shoulder straps, the closer to your body the better.

Like Linda said, Its best to use bags that have a good zipper and if possible that it has some type of carabineer to ensure it's closed.

If you only need to carry your money purse for example, place it in side your front pocket, not your back pocket.

Don't carry more money or valuables than absolutely necessary, try not to wave money around in public places and....ect ect.

You can go on and on, but this is the first thing that came to my mind. I’m positive other MM members can give you better pointers from their personal experiences.

Enjoy your stay

#55874 - 05/23/05 06:24 PM Re: purse/bookbags/shoulderbags?
MadridGirl273 Offline

Thank you for your suggestions!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2258 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments