Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#55673 - 03/17/05 09:45 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
This just reminded me of a huge argument I had with all the members of my host family in Ohio...and it started playing Trivial Pursuit!

They claimed that England was a country/nation in itself, I explained that; no, England+Wales+Scotland+Northern Ireland was indeed a country/nation, the name being United Kingdom or Great Britain....it got pretty bad because they were so adamant and stated that they were sure to know better, because, after all, they shared the same language, so in the end, I had to say that I shared the same continent (with the Brits)! wink :p (Something that wasn't very clear for some schoolmates, btw, who were surprised at a Southamerican or African with fair hair and skin! eek rolleyes )

#55674 - 03/17/05 10:27 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
England is a country in itself, as is Wales, Scotland and Ireland, but they are all part of great britain/United kingdom (not really that united unfortunately.)

#55675 - 03/17/05 10:30 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
How I wish that simple statement could be understood in Spain. How much suffering will it cost to my country to get the point.

#55676 - 03/17/05 10:33 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Think of great britain/United Kingdom as a Nation/Alliance rather than a country.

#55677 - 03/18/05 08:44 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
The Spaniards are a proud, pleasantly congenial people for the most part. But I would be careful of doing or saying anything in any way touching negatively upon their pride. That way lies trouble.

#55678 - 03/18/05 08:50 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
ONLY the Spaniards???! eek rolleyes laugh cool

#55679 - 03/18/05 10:02 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
PrincesitaDeVA Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Last summer when I stayed with a spanish family, my friend and her close friends knew I was American because she had told them. I have fair skin but brown hair so her friends parents and strangers confused me for a spaniard! I consider that an honor! lol but they always called me "la americana" and when they asked where I was from, I would reply with my state, not the country.

But to go back on topic: try not to be shy! I learned the hard way that being shy is considered very rude!

#55680 - 03/18/05 10:41 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

lol @ pim, No, not just spaniards!!

#55681 - 03/19/05 03:38 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
miche_dup1 Offline

Jo, I do remember you trying to substitute Compeed for Bimbo. (and she was rolling compeed bits into balls)(on the train back to Madrid from Alcala de Henares).

Do's & Don'ts?....
Don't try and leap over the barriers in the metro, the guardia civil will chase you and cart you off. Jo-anne tried it. I saved her.

#55682 - 03/19/05 05:02 PM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
Lonoma Offline

Loc: Sevilla, Spain.
Do’s and don’ts of Spain . Read this news from Sevilla ABC paper. In Spanish. Personally I dislike the way Spanish youth spend their free time. I cannot imagine this in the States !!

http://sevilla.abc.es/sevilla/pg050319/prensa/noticias/Sevilla/Sevilla/200503/19/SEV-SEV-034.asp

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2311 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments