Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#55406 - 01/14/05 05:23 PM Re: Meeting Novio's Parents
ninas Offline

Loc: Boston,Massachusetts U.S.A
I don't understand the part about the hands on the lap....so it is considered rude if I don't keep my hands on the table at all times confused

#55407 - 01/18/05 01:48 PM Re: Meeting Novio's Parents
llewilli Offline

Loc: Washington DC
Thanks for all the responses! Well instead of dinner we met at his sister's house for merienda (roscon de reyes y chocolate). It went well I think. His ENTIRE family was there, despite the fact that his nephew had an emergency appendectomy only two days prior. His sisters and brothers-in-law were so nice and talkative. They brought out a family photo album right away. His mother is 74, but looks about 60. I was taken aback at how beautiful and "in fashion" she was. His father was very sweet, but kept offering me cigarettes the whole time. Everyone was shocked that all americans don't smoke in their homes. I could understand everything, but had a little trouble with his mother and father just because they slurred their words a bit more. He was exhausted by the end of the night because he translated so much for me. The little spanish I spoke was well not impressive, but his family told me I have a good accent and to keep learning. So all in all, I think it went as well as it could have gone. Now, I'll have to remember Fernando's dinner tips b/c that is next on the agenda!

#55408 - 01/18/05 02:16 PM Re: Meeting Novio's Parents
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Good llewilli! I'm glad you enjoyed it smile That kind of social meetings are always tricky hehehe.

Booklady, I forgot that last rule wink

Ninas, it is considered rude if you don't keep your hands on the table specially while you are eating. I know it is different in the States...

Anyway, don't torture yourself with these rules. The best is to do as you see others do, and in case of trouble you may always excuse yourself explaining it is different in your country laugh

When in Rome do as romans laugh

Fernando

#55409 - 01/18/05 08:46 PM Re: Meeting Novio's Parents
ninas Offline

Loc: Boston,Massachusetts U.S.A
ooh thanks......... smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments