MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#55367 - 12/07/04 01:16 PM Re: Drugs in clubs
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
It's sounds as though this problem started in the US and then appeared in the UK. They say that what happens in the US happens in the UK 3 to 5 years later.
It's called
Quote:
progress

#55368 - 12/07/04 03:38 PM Re: Drugs in clubs
englishrose Offline

Loc: England
Correct Filbert

#55369 - 12/07/04 07:46 PM Re: Drugs in clubs
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
its definitely a problem in the states, thats just my opinion, and it may have something to do with the fact that I live on a large university campus with some 36,000 students. it happen to my friend last year, or so we think... she had only one drink, and she (and all of us for that matter), left her drink on a window sill (really commnon thing to do at this particular bar), and danced for not more than 5 minutes. she thankfully did not end up being raped because we took her home, made sure she was ok, but it was a definte scare, and other people on my campus have not been so fortunate in the past. a week doesnt go by that their isnt some advertisement warning of such things in our campus newspaper.

that said, if you spend all your time worrying, you will be miserable, i dont know if its a problem in spain, but i say take the same precautions you would anywhere else and dont be paranoid.

kelly

#55370 - 12/07/04 09:40 PM Re: Drugs in clubs
ninas Offline

Loc: Boston,Massachusetts U.S.A
Thanks Kelly, maybe the answer is to have someone to back me up in case I need some help?
It's always a good idea to go out with friends besides I don't like to go out alone...it's kinda boring that way. wink

#55371 - 12/08/04 10:09 AM Re: Drugs in clubs
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Filbert, Us (the UK) copying the USA 3-5 years later is not progress in my book, it's a definite step backwards!

#55372 - 12/08/04 12:27 PM Re: Drugs in clubs
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
The reason I put the word "progress" in quotes was to signify that I was being ironic...
There are many good things that come from the States, however this tendency to use date-rape drugs is not one.

#55373 - 12/09/04 09:51 AM Re: Drugs in clubs
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
sorry Filbert, i missed the quotation marks!! I like your sarcasm in which case!! Or irony!!

#55374 - 12/16/04 02:05 PM Re: Drugs in clubs
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Don't know if anyone will read to the end of this string, but I did want to say that the "date"-rape drugs are believed to have been used in some of the sexual assaults against US citizens in the Madrid, Salamanca and Acala de Henares areas. I believe in only one case was there a positive forensic result, but several of the other victims delayed reporting and several of these types of drugs are undectable after 24 to 48 hours.

In talking with victims, many do not remember what happened to them, so they believe they were drugged. Most of the cases have involved women who were at bars (no direct reports of discos) and were given an open drink.

It does not seem to be a major issue in Spain, but just something to keep in mind. Again, there is safety in numbers and as the previous poster pointed out, it's better to have your friends around to get you home.

Also the biggest drug is alcohol, so enjoy, but be reasonable and responsible and have a designated driver or use a taxi.

#55375 - 01/14/05 05:16 PM Re: Drugs in clubs
ninas Offline

Loc: Boston,Massachusetts U.S.A
wink Thanks...............

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1846 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments