Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#55343 - 12/15/04 09:24 AM Re: Racism in Madrid?
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
It sounds like it would surprise some on this thread to know that KFC and Burger King were in Spain when I first went there thirty years ago. Making them some of the first American grease pits in the country. Obviously Coca Cola and Pepsi were the first, but not known as fast food. Both of those grease pits had been in Madrid for several years when I got there in 1971.

An interesting tid bit of information about the Golden Aches. The CEO after only being in the seat for a few months had to take retirement, reason being CARDIAC PROBLEMS. The man is only in his early fifties.

#55344 - 12/16/04 02:14 AM Re: Racism in Madrid?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I still can't get over there being a Kentucky Fried Chicken in Madrid! laugh

#55345 - 12/16/04 05:40 AM Re: Racism in Madrid?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Let's try to stay On-Topic, please. Thanks!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#55346 - 12/16/04 01:40 PM Re: Racism in Madrid?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Quote:
We've been a pretty homogeneous country for the last five centuries. Some people go around saying how peaceful and tolerant Spain was when jews and moors coexisted in the XIVth century. Whatever; that was till they got expelled.
I was waiting for something like this to get brought up. Those who say that Spain was peaceful and tolerant are only partially correct. Withe the advent of the Moorish invasion of 711, Spain's history would be forever altered. The concept of "Us vs. Them" was ushered in when the Almoravids crossed the Mediterranean.

While true that in some isolated communities in Spain coexistence was peaceful, all too often it was the exception not the rule. Oddly enough, it was the Muslim Moors who were historically more tolerant. Ah, how times have changed.

Even Spain's national hero, Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, has his historic cheating of Raquel and Vidas [Jewish money lenders] immortalized in the Poema de mio Cid.

In 1391, Castilla and Aragon saw coordinated attacks against Jewish populations from community to community. Some cities were spared this bloodshed, but by the expulsion in 1492, whether groups coexisted or not, Jews were forced to convert or leave.

Why the history lesson? While not excusing the behavior, it is clear that xenophobia has deep roots in what we today call Spain. It goes underground for a while, but when the time is right [1391, 1492, 1937, etc.], it rears its ugly head. What is amazing to me is that this very sentiment has led to Spain being such an incredibly rich treasure trove of intermingling cultures.

Wars and strife have been Spain's lot since the Celtiberians...the fact that it is so strategic has led to its being taken and retaken on many occasions, each culture leaving a bit, and the next dominant culture many times assimilating the best of the last. [This constant groundswell of conflict makes it even more amazing to me that really the only major cultural "borrow" that the Basques have made is Christianity.]

The recent iflux of African immigrants is just the latest chapter in the novel that could very well be titled "Iberia: We've Been Expecting You; Take a Number, Have a Seat."

And Joselito: What do you have against those writing from Southern California???? Are you an anti-Californite? If you've got something against Californication, just say so... wink

#55347 - 12/22/04 12:21 PM Re: Racism in Madrid?
jose madrid Offline

Loc: madrid
panthercw, there are several clubs- bars in Madrid where you will find a lot of african- americans and feel most welcome. I had five friends over from Sydney last month- two singaporean, one african american, one white australian and one filipino, and we didn't get as much a second glance at the bars we went to. Examples of african american hangouts- are: soul kitchen, rastatoo, la comedia in calle principe, kingston in calle barquillo...The old I agree that people staring is mostly out of curiosity, as rude as it may seem.However if I were you I'd keep trying- not all bouncers will be such *******s.

#55348 - 01/02/05 06:41 PM Re: Racism in Madrid?
VannieNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
now i'm a bit worried after reading this post, will i have problems. i'ma black chick,lol.

#55349 - 01/02/05 09:53 PM Re: Racism in Madrid?
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
Hey Vannie,
One of my best buds is black and he didn't experience any "racial" problems. He actually met one of his girlfriends in Madrid.

#55350 - 01/02/05 11:42 PM Re: Racism in Madrid?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
laugh Californication?
Is this a new word, Calibasco? Or, is it a Cali- word?

I could not find it in my Websters Third Inrternational Unabridged! wink
Carmen

#55351 - 01/03/05 03:19 AM Re: Racism in Madrid?
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Ay Doña Libros, you are funny! I hope you were kidding about looking up the word in the dictionary. Try the record shop!

#55352 - 01/03/05 10:46 AM Re: Racism in Madrid?
VannieNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
JOe,
thanks, good to know laugh

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments