MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#55187 - 11/01/04 05:40 AM Spain's All Saints Day/"Dia de Todos Los Santos"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Today is Spain's "All Saints Day". It's a national holiday dedicated to remembering those who have died.

While I've never been in Spain during this day before, what I've been told by "family" and friends there and what I've seen on TVEi, it's the day when all the living remember and honor the dead. Many travel to gravesites and offer flowers, gifts, and say prayers. Some families take picnic lunches in preparation for near-day-long event of remembrance at the cemetary and also for the (oftentimes) hours-long traffic jams to/from home as everyone else is doing the same thing.

Today in Spain, All Saints Day, is a national holiday unlike in any holiday in non-Latin(o) countries like the USA. Halloween (in the USA) began as this kind of holiday but was turned into something commercial & fun and the original meaning was lost (I think).

Any feedback or insight about today's meaning and or family events coinciding with today's national holiday by Spaniards (or anyone) would be appreciated. It would allow/help others to understand the differences (or likenesses) in our cultures. Thank you.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#55188 - 11/01/04 06:57 AM Re: Spain's All Saints Day/"Dia de Todos Los Santos"
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
My family has not many members, but we have never go to the cementery in this day, because we think that any other day is a good day to visit it (in fact we rarely go to the cementery).

As far as I know, my closest friends' families neither visit cementeries. But it is true that thousands (if not millions) do.

There is an interesting tradition this day: it is typical to buy "buñuelos del santo" (or buñuelos de viento) and many other sweets.

As for halloween I think its roots come from ancient pagan celebrations of the solstice, not from all saints day smile

It is very curious to see how halloween is being imported in Spain. Ten years ago noboy celebrated it in Spain and was only seen in movies (and in the american communities in Spain). Now it is increasingly being celebrated. People even disguise for parties, and yesterday some kids in my block asked for candies smile

Fernando

#55189 - 11/01/04 07:34 AM Re: Spain's All Saints Day/"Dia de Todos Los Santos"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
It is very curious to see how halloween is being imported in Spain. Ten years ago noboy celebrated it in Spain and was only seen in movies (and in the american communities in Spain). Now it is increasingly being celebrated. People even disguise for parties, and yesterday some kids in my block asked for candies
frown

#55190 - 11/01/04 10:06 AM Re: Spain's All Saints Day/"Dia de Todos Los Santos"
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
MadridMan,
For those of us that are practicing Roman Catholics, this is a very serious day of comtemplation and veneration for our saints. Tomorrow, Nov. 2nd is the Dia de los Fieles Difuntos (The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed or All Souls Day)when we pray for our loved ones that have died.

#55191 - 11/02/04 03:07 PM Re: Spain's All Saints Day/"Dia de Todos Los Santos"
Imajica1975 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Even as a child I was always puzzled by the concept of "Halloween."

But I have never really been the "dress up" kind of person. It is usually just a matter of whether or not I get talked into it.

Seems like a pretty fun and harmless holiday though, I guess.

#55192 - 11/12/04 05:12 AM Re: Spain's All Saints Day/"Dia de Todos Los Santos"
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Being an American(With 2 young children) living in Madrid, we found a neighborhood that has a lot of Americans and Brits that do "Trick or Treating" in Humera. Even at my house in Majadahonda, I had several groups of Kids ring the doorbell and ask for candy.

#55193 - 11/13/04 09:56 AM Re: Spain's All Saints Day/"Dia de Todos Los Santos"
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Meanwhile, back in the homefront, I had a total of 5 kids come by my house for trick or treating. Seems the holiday is growing in other parts of the world but is being extinguished in many towns across the US.

#55194 - 11/13/04 12:29 PM Re: Spain's All Saints Day/"Dia de Todos Los Santos"
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I have my own theories about the trick or treating in the greater Madrid area -

The trick or treating that goes on in Humera in particular, which probably has the greatest concentration of American families with children in the Madrid area, and probably Aravaca and Pozuelo, and some of Majadahonda, happens because American families are eager to continue traditions from home. So they do so among themselves, and neighboring Spanish children who become friends with the American kids become involved as well, because it's fun. (As a parent I've been on trick-or-treat excursions in Humera, armed with maps and bunches of little costumed kids. I have to admit, it was fun!)

When we moved farther out to Villafranca del Castillo, where there are far fewer Americans, the kids who went trick-or-treating were all Spanish, and they were happy and eager to explain to me why they were doing it - they wanted candy! They had all been taught about Halloween in their English classes at the local school, and they quickly saw a golden opportunity to get candy for free. Many liked that part alone, and didn't bother with a costume. Those who did get dressed up came as ghouls and zombies - apparently their teachers didn't teach them about how it's possible to dress up as something more pleasant! The most business-minded of them posted signs in our little local shopping area warning neighbors to be prepared on October 30 with lots of candy.

As is the case when you study a foreign language in most places, you learn about customs and traditions as well. Halloween is loads of fun for kids, they learn about it in school, and so it makes sense that some kids will see this as a welcome addition to what they already do. I don't think adults are conscientiously trying to import Halloween into Spain (but then again, who knows. Some people see $$$$ in everything. I'm just not aware of any. Are they selling Halloween stuff in Spanish stores now?) I see it as a fun activity that some fun-loving young Spaniards would like to enjoy.

What's happening to Halloween in the US is a terrible shame. It's changing from something fun and harmless for children to something all grown-up and twisted. It seems that many of today's parents are much more interested in their own grown-up costume parties than in walking around their neighborhoods with their young children, enjoying the fresh autumn air, reconnecting with the neighbors they so seldom see in their busy lives, and admiring the beautiful handiwork often accomplished when carving pumpkins. They sparkle and glow so beautifully with a candle inside. Sigh. As for costumes like "pimp" and "whore" for little children - well, I won't even go there.

#55195 - 11/14/04 06:41 PM Re: Spain's All Saints Day/"Dia de Todos Los Santos"
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Halloween has indeed become very popular here in Spain. Fifteen years ago, finding a proper pumpkin was nearly an impossible task. The first one I bought was oblong and gray! It sort of looked like E.T.

Now everyone knows what you're talking about. My wife and I had a Halloween party for our daughters and even went trick-or-treating in our apartment building. I don't know who had a better time...the kids or the elderly people meting out the candy!

There are a lot of reasons for it success. Partly because of external influence, partly because of English teachers who take advantage of its appeal to teach students here. Also, it's just a fun concept for kids and that makes it easy to catch on.

There is definitely a relationship between All Saints' Day and Halloween. Although the latter's roots go back to the Celtic New Year, many of the pagan rituals merged with the Christian calendar. Halloween means "All Hallows Eve". Ironically, the English hardly celebrate it at all. It's basically an Irish tradition that became popular in the States.

As for the Spanish tradition of visiting the cemeteries, that still exists, though it is a practice that is dying out, if you'll excuse the pun. The part about the sweets is still very much alive. Buñuelos are little balls of fried dough filled with all sorts of things: cream, whipped cream, chocolate, cabello de angel (which is a kind of jelly made from pumpkin) and others. You also have the huesos del santo, which are often marzapan and sugared egg yokes bathed in white chocolate. They are very, very sweet. You should try to be here for those dates some time and try them.

#55196 - 11/14/04 07:36 PM Re: Spain's All Saints Day/"Dia de Todos Los Santos"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fortunately, I don't remember any time kids have came with the trick or whatever. It's a foreign custom we needn't here, and it's once more reated to consume of goods.

Only big guys disguise for parties, with some exceptions, although it's true taht most peple know what that´s about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments