MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#55106 - 09/28/04 02:24 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Quote:
Given the depth and radicality of your national/racial positions I wouldn't ever have guessed.
I don't have a "radical" position im not a racist how ever I want to see a good future for the culture and country of Spain and rap,hip hop,Mc Donalds, Mickey mouse and millions of immagrants doesn't cut it.

I mabey American for every sense of the word now... It doesnt mean I want see a Europe as a clone of the US with no culture and no identity.
Also I refuse to be stamped with racist nazi label I am completely seperate of that movement and do not agree with their what is TRULLY radical views mine appear at least to me to be common sense.

Quote:
To come back on topic: I don't think LaSueca will get this kind of attention but for scarce ocasions, but if she really dislikes it, it's not a bad idea to dye. Although she can do it in Spain, after seeing the behaviour, either at home or at a hairdresser.
What a trully insignificant problem this trully is. Their are blondes in Spain but they are definetly lower in numbers then dark hair most Spanish people are dark haired. If she is so worried about standing out then why does she just dye her hair a darker color if she thinks that will help her match the population of Spain.

#55107 - 09/28/04 05:50 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
I really don't think she'll have a problem, and I wouldn't dye my hair!

Now...Quintos...you must enjoy the taste of your foot because you've gone and done it again! Im not going to comment on the racist issue, but I am going to comment on your flippant,thoughtless remark that the US has no culture or identity. First...how can you say you're American in every sense? If the US has no culture or identity then you can't be Americanized because you don't acknowledge or embrace it!

Here's a small sample of people and things American that are part of our culture...

Music:

Blues, Jazz, Gospel, Country, Bluegrass, Folk, R&B, Rock (in all its forms),Tejano, Cajun/Zydeco, Swing.

Composers:

Aaron Copeland, Cole Porter, Leonard Bernstein, George Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Scott Joplin, Stephen Sondheim, Richard Rodgers, John Philip Sousa.

Musicians & Singers:

Van Clyburn, John Williams, Wynton Marsalis, Jessye Norman, Leontyne Price, Samuel Ramey, Shirille Millnes, Robert Merrill, Beverly Sills, Marily Horn.

Artists:

Andrew Wyeth, Andy Warhol, Norman Rockwell, Georgia O'Keeffe, Luis Jimenez, Grandma Moses.

Authors:

Herman Melville, O'Henry, Mark Twain, Washington Irving, Edgar Allan Poe, John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemmingway, Emily Dickenson, Maya Angelou.

These are just a few Americans that have contributed to our culture and identity of who we are as a nation.

It's true what you said, hair color seems so insignificant...as well as how white one is!

#55108 - 09/28/04 09:34 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Oso, did you forget an important cultural category

Librarians
Archibald McLeish, Booklady! laugh laugh

#55109 - 09/28/04 10:10 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quintos233 writes:
Quote:
... I have lived in Spain for 6 years and have visited since every 3-2 years...
So now you're 18-years of age, right? I don't think it really counts that you spent 6-years of your childhood in Spain (i.e., probably living in an American enclave, isolated from the indigenous population except for the servants your parents employed, and protected by your parents). That ain't the same as living in Spain!. rolleyes
BTW
I lived in a piso at C./Ramon de la Cruz, 75, in Madrid's Barrio de Salamanca.

OsoMajor writes:
Quote:
Music: Blues, Jazz, Gospel, Country, Bluegrass, Folk, R&B, Rock (in all its forms),Tejano, Cajun/Zydeco, Swing.
Some of those have roots other than in the U.S: Bluegrass (Scotland & Ireland); Tejano (Mexico); and Cajun combines some of the Bluegrass with the Rhythms of the Caribe. There's nothing quite like hearing a Cajun 'fiddler' (a la Doug Kershaw) playing a Cajun two-step (fa di do).
Quote:
Musicians & Singers: Van Clyburn, John Williams, Wynton Marsalis, Jessye Norman, Leontyne Price, Samuel Ramey, Shirille Millnes, Robert Merrill, Beverly Sills, Marily Horn.
I can't understand why you didn't include Wynton Marsalis' brother Bradford, or their father / mentor in N'Orleans.

#55110 - 09/28/04 11:07 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
mecky Offline

Loc: US
This sure looks like a BLOND Joke to me! wink

#55111 - 09/28/04 02:09 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

To Booklady: Oh my...how could I forget our beloved librarian. I couldn't imagine what this message board would be without you Dona Libros! laugh ...but!!!! you were born in Cuba...ohhh so sorry you no qualify! wink

To Eddie: I couldn't think of Brandon's name at the time. Music isn't pinned down to one single location or area. It evolves and though certain types of music have roots in some countries the resulting form is clearly distinctive and original. A perfect example of that is Latin music. It has roots in the indeginous cultures of America, African slave rhythms and the music and instruments brought from Spain and other European nations. They all combined to produce one of the greatest music forms of the world. smile

To keep on topic...Charo is blond!!! laugh laugh laugh I know...I know...I luuuuuuuv Charo!!! Cuchi...Cuchi!!!

#55112 - 09/28/04 06:11 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Quintos233 Offline

Quote:
So now you're 18-years of age, right? I don't think it really counts that you spent 6-years of your childhood in Spain (i.e., probably living in an American enclave, isolated from the indigenous population except for the servants your parents employed, and protected by your parents). That ain't the same as living in Spain!.
BTW
I lived in a piso at C./Ramon de la Cruz, 75, in Madrid's Barrio de Salamanca.
I hear yea Eddie but I did not live in an American enclave I lived in Madrid I wen't to school with all the Spanish children we lived in a piso my dad is American my mom is Spanish. Half my family lives in Spain and they are Spanish I interacted with Spanish people all the time I went to the bars and every thing I was not "protected" from the indigenous population hell I basically was the indigenous population other then the fact that my dad was white American. Why would I be so strongly supportive of Spain if I was born in a American enclave. Mabey if I was born too British parents and born in Gibraltar your reply would make alot more sense infor your self better next time and Eddie I don't want to slag you just to make things clear.

Quote:
Now...Quintos...you must enjoy the taste of your foot because you've gone and done it again! Im not going to comment on the racist issue, but I am going to comment on your flippant,thoughtless remark that the US has no culture or identity. First...how can you say you're American in every sense? If the US has no culture or identity then you can't be Americanized because you don't acknowledge or embrace it!
America does have a culture and identity but what it means to be American does not equal what it means to be Spanish. I didn't mean to downplay Americas cultural achievements in the past. Al though I did. I can see the cultural foundations of AmericaI can see it every where (Disney Land Rap Hip Hop Coca Cola Mickey Mouse McDonalds Pizza Hut etc etc all these things are all over the world.) I like America and its culture and life style to a certain extent and it doesn't bother me at ALL when presented in the US but it is pretty much every where.

#55113 - 09/28/04 08:32 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Emilio J Offline

Loc: Valencia
Quote:
Many many Spanish people have blonde hair but most Spaniards from my experience are born with blonde hair that naturaly darkens through puberty.
Yes, I my childhood's blonde hair got dark brown by the years, and I notice that in many children. My father was a child with almost white hair, and in his adult years his hair was deep black. What could be the reason of that?

Quote:
You can usually tell by their eye-color. If you see blue or green-eyed blondes in Spain, it is unlikely that they are Spanish.
mmmm.. not so true. There aren't many, but there are, spanish blue eyed blondes. Blonde hair is not common, but blue eyes are. As there aren't many, but there are, black spaniards with parents of african origin, that were born in Spain and I consider them spaniards, as I guess you do too. And, today, there are being born many new spaniards from chinese, polish, arab, african, american indian parents. Maybe there don't fit YOUR idea of a spaniard, but they are, no matter if blonde, black or whatever.

"Hablando con propiedad", there is a trace of nordic blood in many "old" spaniards, that shows specially during the early childhood.

#55114 - 09/28/04 09:37 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Quintos233 Offline

Quote:
And, today, there are being born many new spaniards from chinese, polish, arab, african, american indian parents. Maybe there don't fit YOUR idea of a spaniard, but they are, no matter if blonde, black or whatever.
I disagree with you I believe 0% immagration and deportation of current immagrants is the key to keeping Europe running. I understand that the US is melting pot but until I see the European people vote for immagration and approve of it I will not agree with it.

#55115 - 09/29/04 01:43 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Quintos quote:

"I can see the cultural foundations of AmericaI can see it every where (Disney Land Rap Hip Hop Coca Cola Mickey Mouse McDonalds Pizza Hut etc etc all these things are all over the world.) I like America and its culture and life style to a certain extent and it doesn't bother me at ALL when presented in the US but it is pretty much every where."

If American influence is everywhere it's because there is an appeal for it. If the country didn't want American influence or business it wouldn't welcome it into their land.

[(Disney Land Rap Hip Hop Coca Cola Mickey Mouse McDonalds Pizza Hut etc etc all these things are all over the world.)] Except for Rap and Hip Hop these other things you list is not culture or cultural! They are businesses. They have become icons of American industry. I guess I could say that I like Spanish culture like Chupa Chups, VIPS, El Corte Ingles, gypsies and castanets!

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments