MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5510 - 03/27/03 09:31 AM Warning: Fraud and Hostelworld
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I would just like to make everybody aware of an experience I have just had with hostelworld. I booked room in Sevilla at Hotel Acor for Semana Santa a couple months ago through there site. My quoted price, ON MY RESERVATION CONFIRMATION (which I still have), is 37 euros a person for a 4 bed room. Well I received an email today informing me that there has been a slight error, and they have made a mistake (I love how they are informing me of this 2 weeks before hand when Iv had the reservation for a good month and a half), it should have been 57 euros a person for a 4 bed room. I now must decide if I am willing to pay this price, if not, they will drop my reservation. mad mad Guess I have some decision making to do. Anybody else had bad expereices with this????? frown
Kelly

#5511 - 03/27/03 06:58 PM Re: Warning: Fraud and Hostelworld
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Kelar419,
Ouch! eek eek
Have you given any thought to using the Bancotel Spanish Website for the Bancotel vouchers? Compared to the amount of money you will be paying at the Hostel you can stay at a very nice 3 or 4 star hotel for 50 euros for a double room per night. At this Hostelworld the four of you would be paying $228 ? Wow! That's very pricey for a hostal. You can buy a Bancotel coupon for $250 and stay 5 nights at a nice place.

#5512 - 03/27/03 08:32 PM Re: Warning: Fraud and Hostelworld
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Booklady has a point. Well, I'm not one to bad-mouth any kind of "system" or business as I feel the best non-publicity is not mentioning it in the first place but I'm always skeptical of these reservation websites like the one kelar419 mentions above or others. I'd MUCH rather the hostels themselves have complete control over their own prices and reservations.

I've yet to use Bancotel (English version here) but just checked San Sebastián-Donosita and, well, nothing was available for all the dates I'll be there. Too bad. Well, it's late - my fault. FYI: Each Bancotel book check/ticket equals 50€.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5513 - 03/27/03 08:49 PM Re: Warning: Fraud and Hostelworld
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

And don't forget MadridMan, you can use your Bancotel vouchers in the beautiful Paradors. Bancotel does not advertise it in their website, but if you call them they can tell you all about it!

#5514 - 03/27/03 09:06 PM Re: Warning: Fraud and Hostelworld
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Booklady, ALL the paradors participate in the Bancotel program??

Unfortunately, there are no Paradors in San Sebastián-Donostia. frown

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5515 - 03/27/03 09:36 PM Re: Warning: Fraud and Hostelworld
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

MadridMan, when I spoke to them they said they did, of course they did say that the Parador at the Generalife and a few others generally were premium locales, I imagine like the Palace hotel, 3 coupons per night. But most were 2 coupons, and a few were one coupon.

Have you tried the Hotel de Londres y Inglaterra en San Sebastian? It is located alongside the Playa La Concha. it's rates seem a little steep at $120, but that is rack rate, I am sure if you tried Travelocity or another site you might get an excellent rate. This hotel was featured on p. 142 of the Conde Nast Traveler, February, 2003 issue.

#5516 - 03/28/03 01:08 AM Re: Warning: Fraud and Hostelworld
tlrtlr Offline

I used Bancotel after a recommendation from a posting on this site 2 years ago. The reservation process was easy and saved me a ton of money. We spent only 1 night at the Palace but that was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in... a down mattress... The whole 5 ticket deal complicates things, but its well worth it if you can pull it off.

#5517 - 03/28/03 06:34 AM Re: Warning: Fraud and Hostelworld
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Yeah I did think about that, but the problem is this late I really doubt I will find ANYTHING in Sevilla for semana santa. Would fight it, but I think they would just drop my reservation it a second because they have such high demand for reservations at this time. rolleyes

#5518 - 03/28/03 07:03 AM Re: Warning: Fraud and Hostelworld
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

You're probably right, kelar419. I'd pay what they want at this point. Maybe the establishment had higher Semana Santa rates which were not yet entered into the Hostelworld database. Who knows, maybe they did this with everyone. Just put it behind you and enjoy your time in Sevilla!!!

Edit: By the way, I just noticed that you noted you were booked at Hotel Acor in Sevilla... Hostelworld books HOTELS. too??? confused

Saludos, MadridMan

#5519 - 03/29/03 10:03 AM Re: Warning: Fraud and Hostelworld
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Yeah MM, I think hostelworld also books low price hotels, this hotel is actually listed as a hostel, in my guidebook, so who knows!!!
We originally booked there thinking the price was cheaper, because the room is a quad, something thats hard to find in budget hostels.

And the latest on the saga, we decided to stay for only 2 nights, save some money, THEN they emailed us back and say the price is even HIGHER for 2 nights, because the were giving us a discount for staying for 3 nights. So,l I think we will just pay up, stay for 3 nights, enjoy sevilla and NOT use hostelworld again. rolleyes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments