Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#55096 - 09/27/04 06:58 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quintos233 writes:
Quote:
Most of the white people of Spain are concentrated in the North.
What authoritative source can you cite for that statement? The indigenous population of Spain is European (i.e., racially Caucasian). Spain was occupied by Arabs more than 700-years (i.e., until 1492 when the Reconquista was considered to be complete) so there was some comingling of the races; this was common among European Countries with the Celts, Huns, Visigoths and Ostragoths arriving and being absorbed in the population. It even happened before and during the Arab Occupation.

Effectively, the Arabs occupied all of Spain except for the mountains of northern Asturias (from whence the Reconquista began), parts of Galicia and the Pyrenees.

I take exception to this statement and to your earlier: "You are wrong" contestation to my post concerning blue or green-eyed blondes. Don't just say: 'you are wrong!' Quote some authority (Chapter & Verse) to support your conclusions!

#55097 - 09/27/04 08:15 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree about the harshness of the post you mention, Eddie, but must comment that the area between (more or less) León-Palencia-Burgos-Zaragoza-Barcelona and north of this was reconquered most of the times within 50 or 100 years, in some cases, like Galicia, in like 10 or 15 or less, so in this areas I believe too we have lighter skin.

And thee area between these and Madrid was no-man's -land, very slightly populated (because of this) for any of both bands until Repoblación (repopulation) took place.

However, as new lands were freed, more population had to be sent south, and we accepted and asked for colons from Europe, and you find sometimes villages and counties with northern countries' aspect. And if you go to some southern cities, you'll find a lot of darker colour people (I mean eyes and hair, besides of the obvious sun-tanning), and suddenly a blonde or very blonde blue-eyed that could have been a german or swedish tourist.

Just this week I found a girl from Seville in Prague that you couldn't tell from the swedish typical look, and a guy in the very plane who was about the same, from Murcia.

Quote:
OK, you might get a few more stares or 'piropos' from the Moroccoans and Latinamericans (that's so true!*) than a brunette, but I don't think at the end of the day that makes a significant...ANYTHING,

*Luckily, these tend to be admiring stares and respectful compliments, unlike the ones one sometimes gets from certain Spaniards
´
About the respectful morocchians and latinos, and the obscene spaniards, I'll only say one thing:

Hahahhahahahahaha. Which world you live in? Certainly not the one I know. laugh

#55098 - 09/27/04 08:40 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Aaaahh Ignacio, you make this too easy....When was the last time you got first hand experience getting a 'piropo' from a man in the street, him beeing; Spanish, Australian, Ecuadorian, Nigerian,...........you name it?
:p

#55099 - 09/27/04 09:35 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, the only way to gain experience is "suffering" a piropo, ins't it? If it was so, we could hardly speak on anything, could we? Like you can't speak about wether buying a flat is expensive if you don't buy one (but you see the prices and visit the flats) or wether laws on drinking and driving are fair (unless you have been fined) and so on.

It's not valid to hear piropos to other people?

And there IS a difference between saying something like: "Dios hizo a las mujeres guapas,pero contigo empleó más tiempo." and something like "No soy pirata ni por el oro ni por la plata, sino por el tesoro que tienes entre las patas..." I would consider the first one a "piropo", and the second one a "grosería" like the ones LaSueca dislikes so much.

By the way, are you sure you had them, anyway? :p

#55100 - 09/27/04 03:54 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Ok...La Sueca if you don't want any unwanted attention from men simply wear a pair of sweats, beenie, old tennis shoes and don't bathe for a week. I guarantee you no man will give you a second look! laugh

Seriously though you may want to think of how dark skinned people may appear in Sweden. Do the people there stare at them? Do they say anything rude or make them feel uncomfortable? Im sure you'll get unwanted comments anywhere you go simply because you're a blond woman, especially if you're attractive. However if you're blond and homely you won't have to worry about it!

My wife has a close friend that is Cuban (she is black), and she married a guy from Iceland, very white, very blond. They moved to Reykjavik. She would write my wife telling her that she was the only black person where they lived. Everyone stared at her but they weren't rude. It was more curiousity than anything. Anyway she got used to it, learned the language and is very happy there.

Go to Spain with a positive attitude, enjoy the attention while you still can get it and everything will be just fine. wink

#55101 - 09/27/04 05:14 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Quote:
What authoritative source can you cite for that statement? The indigenous population of Spain is European (i.e., racially Caucasian). Spain was occupied by Arabs more than 700-years (i.e., until 1492 when the Reconquista was considered to be complete) so there was some comingling of the races; this was common among European Countries with the Celts, Huns, Visigoths and Ostragoths arriving and being absorbed in the population. It even happened before and during the Arab Occupation.
I never said that Spaniards weren't caucasian I consider them caucasian but Northern Spain was the least occupied Moors there fore it might just be that they have the least amount of minor Arab influence whites can be found every where in Spain. But this doesn't mean that every one in Spain is pure for example in the US many whites have Indian ancestry and whites in Northern Eruope have Mongol blood but I still consider them white.

Quote:

I take exception to this statement and to your earlier: "You are wrong" contestation to my post concerning blue or green-eyed blondes. Don't just say: 'you are wrong!' Quote some authority (Chapter & Verse) to support your conclusions!
Id be surprised if you ever been Spain making a statement like that.. Actually go to Spain or return their to refresh and look at the native Spanish some are dark some are not. Im not going to search google for evidence for statement. If you want to find out how Spanish people look like then go to Spain and find out.

#55102 - 09/27/04 08:42 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quintos233 writes:
Quote:
Id be surprised if you ever been Spain making a statement like that.. Actually go to Spain or return their to refresh and look at the native Spanish some are dark some are not. ... If you want to find out how Spanish people look like then go to Spain and find out.
I lived and worked in Spain long before you were born (1960-62). I returned to Spain in '64 and for the Christmas holidays in 1965-66, then again in '68, '71 and '74.

During that latter visit we were also in Lisboa for the 'Carnation Rebellion' when Portuguese Soldiers supported Salazar's overthrow by putting Claveles in their rifle barrels. I returned to Spain about every other year in the late '70's, '80's and '90's including a visit with my son to Expo'92 in Sevilla and the '92 Barcelona Olympics when we stayed with my wife's first cousin at Avda. Pi y Maragal, 65, near Gaudi's Sagrada Familia. I visited Santiago de Compostela during Año Júbilar Xacobeo 1999 and Año Júbilar Xacobeo 2004 in June of this year.

I have been to Covadonga in Asturias and to the Monasterio de Santo Toribio in the Picos de Europa where the largest known fragment of the Cross on which Christ was Crucified, the Vera Cruz is guarded. That Vera Cruz never was allowed to fall into the hands of the Moorish Invaders.

I know what Spanish people look like from CoruNa to Malaga and from Barcelona to Huelva. Do you still believe I have never been to Spain?? I have spent more time in Spain than you have spent in High School!

#55103 - 09/27/04 10:37 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Ouch!!!!!!!! Someone got spanked! laugh

#55104 - 09/27/04 10:40 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Eddie writes,
Quote:
I lived and worked in Spain long before you were born (1960-62). I returned to Spain in '64 and for the Christmas holidays in 1965-66, then again in '68, '71 and '74.

During that latter visit we were also in Lisboa for the 'Carnation Rebellion' when Portuguese Soldiers supported Salazar's overthrow by putting Claveles in their rifle barrels. I returned to Spain about every other year in the late '70's, '80's and '90's including a visit with my son to Expo'92 in Sevilla and the '92 Barcelona Olympics when we stayed with my wife's first cousin at Avda. Pi y Maragal, 65, near Gaudi's Sagrada Familia. I visited Santiago de Compostela during Año Júbilar Xacobeo 1999 and Año Júbilar Xacobeo 2004 in June of this year.

I have been to Covadonga in Asturias and to the Monasterio de Santo Toribio in the Picos de Europa where the largest known fragment of the Cross on which Christ was Crucified, the Vera Cruz is guarded. That Vera Cruz never was allowed to fall into the hands of the Moorish Invaders.

I know what Spanish people look like from CoruNa to Malaga and from Barcelona to Huelva. Do you still believe I have never been to Spain?? I have spent more time in Spain than you have spent in High School!
Quite an impresive arsenal of visitations. I have lived in Spain for 6 years and have visited since every 3-2 years...

#55105 - 09/28/04 02:05 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I have lived in Spain for 6 years and have visited since every 3-2 years...
Only!!!

Given the depth and radicality of your national/racial positions I wouldn't ever have guessed.

To come back on topic: I don't think LaSueca will get this kind of attention but for scarce ocasions, but if she really dislikes it, it's not a bad idea to dye. Although she can do it in Spain, after seeing the behaviour, either at home or at a hairdresser.

cool

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2231 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments