Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#54955 - 08/15/04 12:39 PM The Spanish are Racists
Anonymous
Unregistered

In response to ESpañol20 90% of crime is caused by non spanish immigrants, hmmmmm
The problem with the racist PURITAN Spanish is that they dont like to mix with people other than other spaniards......
The Racist francista government wont give working papers to non Eu Citizens which mostly affects Latin americans, they have no right to Paro or other benefits.....
There is a problem here in Madrid with the attitude of Madrileños in relation with anyything thats different and has a non spanish way of thinking or behaving at times living here is like living in a dictator regime,
WAKE UP ESPAÑA AND WELCOME TO THE YEAR 2004

#54956 - 08/15/04 12:52 PM Re: The Spanish are Racists
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
First: Your topic was moved here to the "About Spain" forum because it refers to the people of Spain or about the country of Spain.

Second: To make a generalization that "The Spanish are Racists" is EXTREMELY harsh and unfair. That's like saying "The French are snobs" or "Americans are ethnocentric, uneducated war-mongers" and does not describe the norms of a people.

Your statement is UNfair and is, in itself, a kind of RACIST statement, generalizing and stigmatizing an entire people (even though "Spanish" is not a race) for the acts of a few.

DEFINITIONS:

racism
rac·ism
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

stigmatize
stig·ma·tize
1. To characterize or brand as disgraceful or ignominious.
2. To mark with stigmata or a stigma.
3. To cause stigmata to appear on.

mad Sincerely, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#54957 - 08/15/04 01:11 PM Re: The Spanish are Racists
Anonymous
Unregistered

in response to your reply madridman when you live here you can pass judgement firstly....o.k
and why you compared my observation with the stereotypes of other nations, I don´t know.....
my statement is based on truth in response to a racist statement presented by a spaniard thet 90% of crime in españa is commited by people of non spanish ethnicity....
So madridman when you live here call yourself madridman....
and then you can truly comment on issues which affect us madrileños.
secondly re-evaluate what it is you are judging before you make judgement.
Thanks and now hard feelings´....
oh and god bless Amerika

#54958 - 08/15/04 03:21 PM Re: The Spanish are Racists
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quote:
secondly re-evaluate what it is you are judging before you make judgement.
Couldn't agree with you more. Words to live by, I'd say. smile I think I hear the UK calling you back home - if they'll have you. rolleyes

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#54959 - 08/15/04 03:58 PM Re: The Spanish are Racists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now way man iam here to stay regardless of the criticism I love Madrid........i´ve got my Visa.iam an EU citizen no problems there...... my worst criticism´s are kept for those of english speaking countries...wouldn´t want to live there even if you told me it was god´s country.......
have a nice life.........keep learning spanish.............MadRid Man?.........and when you have citizenship to live here and now about daily life here, tell me a thing or two about Madrid.
thankyou and god bless your country

#54960 - 08/15/04 04:17 PM Re: The Spanish are Racists
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Hey Tony, I don't know how long you've been living in Madrid but MM has been to and visited most of Spain many times. He has many friends there and has gotten to know the Spanish people intimately. Have you bothered to read his journals regarding his trips there? I don't need to defend him as he can do this himself, but your comments regarding him having to live there before passing judgement or making comments on the attitude of Madrilenos is a bit laughable considering his knowlege of the city.

Regarding racist attitudes of Spaniards, well one racist comment by someone in a city doesn't make a whole group of people racist. Even if Spaniards have pride in themselves so do many other people. Im sure there are racists in Spain...as well as in France, Germany, USA, Japan. etc. Can you honestly say that Brits are humble, down to earth people? Talk about racists! Im sure the Irish, French, Italians and Spaniards have a few choice words to say about that.

Im half Spanish and have family members from Spain and I have never heard one racist comment from them. Yes, Spain has a problem with Morrocans and Latin Americans and other groups but so do many other countries such as the US. When people get frustrated with the situation it's easy to blame the foreigner for the troubles they see. It's part of human nature to be wary of others who are different than ourselves, unfortunately.

You don't mention how long you've lived in Madrid. Are you familiar with the rest of Spain?
MadridMan is...he knows Spain. Take time to familiarize yourself with his website. Then maybe your opinion might change.

#54961 - 08/15/04 04:24 PM Re: The Spanish are Racists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like I said and like I frimly beleive you can only talk about a place and pass judgement about life somewere when you have LIVED THERE, it doesn´t matter how many times you visit somewere as a visitor, it´s impossible to get a full picture of the daily difficulties and frustrations.

#54962 - 08/15/04 04:26 PM Re: The Spanish are Racists
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
So because you "live" in Madrid you know Spain? I see....where else in Spain have you lived? You say that you must live somewhere to talk about it and pass judgement...there's some truth to that, well I suppose there are many tour guides, diplomats, merchants, etc. that don't know the places they visit.

To say that SPANIARDS are racists is wrong because you have not lived all over Spain, only Madrid, so your opinions should be limited to your experiences in Madrid.

#54963 - 08/15/04 04:38 PM Re: The Spanish are Racists
Anonymous
Unregistered

please before any more stupid remarks read the racist statement by epañol20 regarding crime and immigration here..
and decide who to direct the criticism at..
gracias a todos y muy buenas noches.

#54964 - 08/15/04 04:40 PM Re: The Spanish are Racists
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
TonyBalogne, how can you criticize MadridMan's Spanish, when you yourself are still learning the language? See post from last september below.
" tony lionni
Member # 3904

posted 09-15-2003 12:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hola Todos
Iam from Manchester England and thinking of doing a "David Beckham" and coming to Madrid in March 2004. "Yo hablas un bien nivel de Espanol"
I was wondering what difficulties English people have found in finding work, Could anybody point me in the right direction, I have worked in call centres here in England, I have studied Fashion at University, Iam a known D.j here in Manchester.
and have also dj'd recently at a good club in Valencia called "Latex community" Any help would be appreciated.
Ciao Tony Lionni

[ 09-15-2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 25 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003 | IP: Logged "
So before you criticize people as you seem to love to do, why not check yourself? You just sound silly. wink

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments