Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#54952 - 08/04/04 01:30 PM bank account
richie Offline

Loc: barcelona
Hi, I´m in New York but will be in Barcelona for a year. I have a ATM card (Cirrus network) that I use all over south america without any transaction fees and the exchange is the best. I have heard that in Europe, ATMs chanrge up to $10 for taking money out. I did speak to Citibank and they say that if I have an account with them I can use their ATMs anywhere in the world without any ATM fees. Does anyone know if this is true. When I was in Colombia last Citibank there told me they charge $5 for out of country citibank users.

Would it be easier to open up an acclunt in Barcelona and just wire money? Do banks in Spain charge a lot? In Colombia they charge for in bank withdrawals, atms, and because i´m from the states they would even charge me to deposit! Any help greatly appreciated - Richie

#54953 - 08/05/04 07:18 AM Re: bank account
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Many Spanish banks now accept forgien, non-resident clients and will set up an account. Two which come to mind are Banco Popular (the first to accept non-Spanards), and Caixa. I understand there are more. Just go to a bank and ask. Of course be sure to bring documentation, proof of identity (passport), any student id, maybe a letter from the institution at which you are studying in Spain. Also your US bank routing number and account number.

As far as ATM charges, yes, you can get an unpleasant suprise. Be careful when you make withdrawals, especially at open air, public ATMs (those not enclosed in their own little room). I strongly suspect I had about $5000 ripped off about three years ago, I know not how, after I used an ATM machine in Hoyo de Manzanares. Best to ask inside the bank first about charges.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

#54954 - 08/10/04 06:15 AM Re: bank account
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Setting up a bank account in Spain is not too easy for foreigners.

You must first go to the comisaria (main police station) and ask for a "carta de no residente." This is a letter from the Spanish government stating that you are not a resident. Here in Madrid, you fill out the paperwork at the station on General Pardinas and then wait 10 days to go pick up the "carta de no residente". You then take that to the bank and you can open a non-resident account.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments