Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54909 - 07/04/04 07:38 PM Drinking water - Spain and Portugal
Kathleen Offline

Loc: Fremont, California
Hello: Since I have never traveled in Spain or Portugal, I don't know if the faucet water is safe to drink or not. I am assuming it is in that it is in Europe, but I have been traveling in Central and South American - and you definitely can't drink the water below the US southern border. Please let me know, also, how much drinking water usually costs. Many thanks,
kathleen

#54910 - 07/04/04 08:44 PM Re: Drinking water - Spain and Portugal
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi again, Kathleen!
I believe there's a thread on this topic here on the message board so try a SEARCH.

But in short, you'll find that water in the cities on the Iberian Peninsula is quite safe for "American" stomachs. I've never had problems. In fact, water treatment plant standards in the cities are typically higher than those in the USA. Places in the countryside, however, may be a different case although it's rather hit-and-miss. I've never had any "stomach issues" after visiting any of Spain's smallest villages but different stomachs can handle different microbes, of course.

Anyone else have feedback on this topic? Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#54911 - 07/04/04 10:01 PM Re: Drinking water - Spain and Portugal
mecky Offline

Loc: US
Just having returned from traveling in the cities and in the country I by one obttle of bottled water and then reuse it as often as I need refilling from the fountains in the village and the kitchfaucets. Never had an issue even while walking many miles.

#54912 - 07/04/04 11:32 PM Re: Drinking water - Spain and Portugal
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Drink the water...it's safe...both in the city and the country...and as the Spanairds say...el agua (española) es dulce.

During the summer in Spain it is very (and I underline very) hot...and dry. The people will tell you that you need to drink about 2 gallons a day to by hydrated. Even when you order it, they usually give you it from the sink (del grifo)...with ice.

Sheryl

#54913 - 07/05/04 01:01 AM Re: Drinking water - Spain and Portugal
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I have great memories of stopping and drinking at the many springs (always accompanied by a statue and/or plaque blessing those who passed) in the mountains of Galicia. Never had a problem.

#54914 - 07/05/04 01:01 AM Re: Drinking water - Spain and Portugal
Kathleen Offline

Loc: Fremont, California
Great! I drink a lot of water and when it's hot, I drink more. Thanks.

#54915 - 07/05/04 09:59 AM Re: Drinking water - Spain and Portugal
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I'll suggest to drink bottled water in coast villages because sink water it has usually bad taste (too many minerals).

Water is always drinkable in Spain, both in urban and country places. However, if you see the words "Agua no potable" that means water is not ready for human consume.

Fernando

#54916 - 07/05/04 10:58 AM Re: Drinking water - Spain and Portugal
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Kathleen,

Madrid's tap water is simple delicious! (as delicious as water can be). I miss it so much when I'm out of town smile

#54917 - 07/05/04 11:11 AM Re: Drinking water - Spain and Portugal
wahcow Offline

Loc: Madrid
think PIM is right, been here for two months....drinking tap water ever since and still alive with no major mishaps... smile

#54918 - 07/10/04 09:32 AM Re: Drinking water - Spain and Portugal
englishrose Offline

Loc: England
I was advised to not drink the tap water whilst in Spain!? Hmm...? Maybe it was to boost the sales of bottled water! heehee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2446 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments