Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#54883 - 08/20/04 06:20 AM Re: Ladies of Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, that's what the galicians say about their witches, "I don't believe in them, but there ARE witches". laugh

No, seriously. I know that there are some, because I have seen some lucky guys meet them in front of me and I have very unusually been "lucky" myself, but, judging by my own experience, this looks like a convent from an English or North American point of view. Much easier to break ice but much more difficult to go futher.

#54884 - 08/20/04 09:32 AM Re: Ladies of Spain
Shiquilla Offline

Loc: Madrid
Maybe, it has to do with the fact that we (Spanish women) in general go out to have fun with our friends as our first priority, rather than “fishing”.
I think it has to do a lot with us looking out for ourselves and needing a “safe” situation. Personally, I’ll be scare to leave (I'm talking at night)wherever I’m with my friends to go with somebody I just meet at a bar. I might miss a wonderful night, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.
Anyway, think that if we are “hot and sexy” as you said (by the way, thank you) wink and also were kind of…hummm how to call it, ehhh… “more ready to go” we will be too perfect, and it wouldn’t be fair for the other ladies around the world. laugh

#54885 - 08/23/04 12:58 PM Re: Ladies of Spain
Lemming Offline

Loc: Viajando (ahora caminando)
"Anyway, think that if we are “hot and sexy” as you said (by the way, thank you) wink and also were kind of…hummm how to call it, ehhh… “more ready to go” we will be too perfect, and it wouldn’t be fair for the other ladies around the world. " laugh

It's so true!

Whenever I used to visit Spain I always thought they should be made to share. Now I live here I'm not so sure laugh

#54886 - 08/23/04 02:20 PM Re: Ladies of Spain
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I'll weigh in with my 2 centavos. I found the Spanish women absolutely fantastic! I was from SoCal where (pardon me if you are a SoCal woman) it seemed to me the great majority of women were, shall I be kind and say, NOT NICE people. Not everyone, but virtually all the "beautiful people" were really horrible. When I came to Spain, 46 years old, balding, a bit on the heavy side (ok, I was 14 kg overweight, more now!), and had about given up on having a girlfriend. How many gorgeous, kind, interesting, sexy, intelligent, wonderful women did I meet every night at La Soleá? LOTS! WOW! Women asking me over to their houses, apartments, to bars for tapas. I was (am) in heaven. No girlfriends, just friends, but I met my future wife within 1 1/2 months, and it all came to a halt -- well, on my part. . . I still am knocked out by nice, beautiful women whom I have to say, "Disculpa mi, estoy casada. .." (pardon and correct my horrible Spanish please). I have no doubt that with your good taste, gentlemanly ways, nice clothes, exotic air, AND KNOWLEDGE OF SPANISH (once three women asked me if I was "casada," (married) I thought they meant "consada" (tired), so I said "¡Un poco!" rolleyes so knowing some Spanish is important), you will be up to your eyes in some of the nicest, most beautiful women you have ever dreamed of being with. Don't worry, be happy! And Just Go For It! Be a gentleman and be patient. Be prepared to end up living here.

By the way, my wife is of indigenous Ecuatorian ancestry (half Incan, quarter Spanish and quarter Italian. . . and yes, she is jealous, Latin, and gorgeous. . . and TAKEN!). laugh

I'd wish you the best of luck, but I think luck has nothing to do with it, you won't need it.

¡Viva las españolas!

#54887 - 08/23/04 03:03 PM Re: Ladies of Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Err... You are as described and gorgeous, kind, interesting, sexy, intelligent, wonderful women invite you to their apartment?

Would you be good enough as to tell us your favourite places? or could we just go together some night? Thus,if you have to reject one of those goddesses, I could substitute you. I am probably rather slimmer (not too much), younger but balder. hahaha laugh laugh laugh :p cool

It must be a gold mine or La soleá is yours or your friend's, but I am ready and eager to be proven otherwise. Just joking. I'll investigate the place anyway, it might deserve attention. wink cool

#54888 - 08/23/04 03:24 PM Re: Ladies of Spain
Martín de Madrid Offline

Lamentably, La Soleá is no more (the sign is still there, on Cava Baja), but the owner has opened a NEW club. It is described somewhere else on this board. I don't know if MM has archived the information, but I will investigate and report back. By the way the club is considered by aficionados as one of the few, if not the only (as described by a luthier when he turned me onto it) place in Madrid where you can get the old flavor of a "café cantante." No shows, aficinados, a few professionals, toreros, gypsies and locals who sing, and dance and play the toque, and palmas, cajon etc., for tips and drinks. The way it SHOULD be, in my humble opinion.

A very special, non-touristy, hanging-with-the-locals kind of place. By the way, if you do not know how to do the palmas (handclapping), you will be politely (or not so politely!) requested to abstain because it messes up the rhythm. Also loud drunks are sometimes (not often enough) shown the way out. Tips basket or hat is passed, and the purchase of drinks for the players is always appreciated, and a good way to get them into the marvelous "cante jondo puro" in the wee hours of the morning.

Some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen often grace the place (remember, I am a pinup artist!). Sometimes I think I really should write a small book on my experiences there! They have expensive drinks, good tapas, and fantastic music with people to match.

#54889 - 08/23/04 03:27 PM Re: Ladies of Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oooooooooo. What a pity! I'll search for the new place' name.

#54890 - 08/23/04 03:37 PM Re: Ladies of Spain
Martín de Madrid Offline

Here is the information on the "New" La Solea. It is called "Monteleón" and the relevant info is;

C/ Monteleón, 46,

28010 - Madrid ,

Phone: 914456487

This is north of the Puerta del Sol along Calle San Bernardo. The nearest Metro station is "San Bernardo" at Glorieta de Ruiz Jimenez. Walk East along C. Alberto Aguilera to C. Monteleon.

If you see José el Duende, tell him "Martín el pintor americano" sent you, and "¡Saludos de me parte!" You might end up sitting at his table and paying for all his drinks! That is not a bad thing, because all the fine women will stop by THIS table! The best time to go are Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. I don't think El Duende is there on other days, but check with the management. Thursdays are the best with the fewest people who are intent on their own conversations instead of flamenco, and the fewest loud drunks. The old La Soleá had two rooms upstairs and a cellar below, so the seriously addicted would go to the back room where El Duende would perform.

I have been to Casa Patas, and a few other clubs. This is nothing like them. No cover, no tourist show. Here you will be initiated into true flamenco.

Well, what nerve of me to say that! My credentials: started studying the toque at 14, studied Spanish gypsies and flamenco as an honors Anthropology student (it formed my undergraduate thesis subject), played flamenco guitar semi-professionally for over 15 years, and living here for over 4 years with many gypsy and non-gypsy professional and amateur flamencos as close friends. Not very long to study flamenco, I know, but long enough to know the good and great from the mediocre or worse.

Because I live so far out of town, I don't get over there much anymore. I would appreciate any feedback on how you liked it. Hopefully it is still good.

#54891 - 08/23/04 07:26 PM Re: Ladies of Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll try it, since I have given up hating flamenco with the years. I'll let you know. BTW, I think that, in spite of this i can handclap pretty well, but we'll see; if I see I can't follow the rythm, I'll let it go before anyone tells me.
smile cool laugh

#54892 - 08/23/04 08:15 PM Re: Ladies of Spain
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
laugh cool wink
I love this thread! Ignacio, I wish you the same luck as Martín!

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments