Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#54815 - 06/15/04 04:10 AM Re: madrid in August: Too hot?
april29 Offline

Maybe they meant 204 °F !! :-) Thanks, MM. It seems everybody is so nice on your board, always ready to help others. You seem to have a good "team". Best Saludos !

#54816 - 06/15/04 05:26 AM Re: madrid in August: Too hot?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Very well-put, april29. We do have a VERY helpful and nice "team" and THEY deserve the praise. smile

Stay cool in August! cool Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#54817 - 06/15/04 07:18 AM Re: madrid in August: Too hot?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Regarding the maximum temperatures, you have to remember that these are air temperatures, in the shade, away from any source of reflected or radiant heat (stone walls, the ground etc). They are always considerably lower than the "temperatures" you'll actually experience on the street, which include the direct heat of the sun (obviously!) as well as heat radiated by heated-up stone, tarmac etc. These "real" temperatures vary a lot from place to place.

#54818 - 06/15/04 09:12 AM Re: madrid in August: Too hot?
april29 Offline

Hi and Thanks El Boqueron for the accuracy of your answer, I can imagine that but I think when we speak about an all-time maximum record temperature, we shoudn't refer to the temperature under a big, overstuffed tree in Retiro park, rigth close to the water, the feet in... well, maybe not Puerta del Sol neither, but still... they mean record, so they should speak record... Well, that's only my opinion. Anyway, the case doesn't seem as dramatic as I suspected... Hopefully... In France 15000 persons died of heat last summer, and they said what was the real temperature, in the city. I don't remember what it was, but it was spooky anyway... Sahara wasn't jealous at all on Paris... Thanks again.

#54819 - 06/16/04 03:40 AM Re: madrid in August: Too hot?
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
I disagree. We are not talking about Guinness Records here, we are talking about scientific records taken by accurate measurement devices that tell us the real and only temperature: that is 104, MM, believe it or not.
There are mathematic equations that can tell you the added effect of other meteorologic phenomenons like the wind chill or the air moisture.

Other temperatures: the temperature under the sun ,inside a car or inside the metro, don't count. The only temperature that is scientifically valid is the air temperature, and the best place to feel that real temperature is...
YES, under the shade of a tree.
Anything else is subjective, of the kind of "wow! this is the hottest place I have ever been in!"
My subjective impression is that the hottest city in the world is New York City. And the REAL temperature was in fact 106, higher than Madrid's highest EVER.
When I returned home I felt fresh and cool... and I was in Madrid, in August. It was at nice 90s.

#54820 - 06/16/04 09:11 AM Re: madrid in August: Too hot?
april29 Offline

Hi Deibid, I think I was misunderstood or I rather didn’t express my idea right. I perfectly see your point and I’m not contesting it. I’m not saying that temperature measurements should be done under "wow! this is the hottest place I have ever been in!" standards… I only meant that it would be good to know ALSO what we face really, on our daily lives, as subjective as they are, yes on the street under the sun, in cars and metro, why not? It’s just to have an idea about this TOO. 104° F is the same in NYC, Madrid, Paris or Rome under a tree in a park by the lake, but if you just cross the street, the sun will strike you "subjectively" or not much harder in Rome than in Paris. Why not knowing the “under trees” temperatures and ALSO “under sun” temperatures? Again, it’s just a question of “it would be good to know”. So my opinion is that even when we say “record”, a maximum, all-time one, we should ALSO mean real life. Especially when 15000 persons died as it happened last summer in Fr. They were in the city, not in parks where the "objective", official temperature measured was far from being considered as dangerous as it finally became in the city. And those poor people had no idea about what was happening. We all were shocked.

#54821 - 06/16/04 03:16 PM Re: madrid in August: Too hot?
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
WACHT OUT!!!!
Madrid is empty in August but for the 13 and 14 when I expect the Virgen de la Paloma to take place. Virgen de la Paloma is a fantastic street party. It is the official party of Madrid. The epicentre is in Almendro st. We are talking about thousands of people, music and drink everywhere, great atmosphere etc. If you are 18-40 and are looking for some good adventure you cannot miss La Virgen de la Paloma!!

Andres

#54822 - 06/16/04 03:57 PM Re: madrid in August: Too hot?
april29 Offline

Hi Andres and many thanks! The La Virgen de la Paloma sounds really great but I'll not be there at that time, only after ! Maybe next time. This event is always in August ? Are there some other events for Christmas? By the way, your site is very interesting and I think the price is very good. Isn't it a little short 2 and a half hours ? :-) And I think I'll love an empty Madrid, it will be all mine !!

#54823 - 06/19/04 09:26 AM Re: madrid in August: Too hot?
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
"This event is always in August ?"

Yes by the middle of August and for the last one hundred years. Nevertheless the party starts on the 5th but the big big thing takes place on 13 and 14th.

Andres

#54824 - 06/19/04 01:39 PM Re: madrid in August: Too hot?
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
How did a simple question about the weather become a hugh issue of meteorlogic relativity? Oh yeah, the question was posed to a Spaniard! laugh

After a 100F does it really matter? You guys think Madrid is hot in the summer? Try visiting Palm Springs, Phoenix or Las Vegas during August and September where the temperatures hover at 120F! eek

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments