Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#54783 - 05/19/04 09:31 AM Paying the bill
Fupanier Offline

Loc: Oregon
I stayed in a small town in the maseta at a hostal. It included a family restaurant. While my son & I ate there the owners discovered that one of their guest's was having a birthday. They brought out a large pastry for it and we all had an impromptu party. The local wine was flowing (delicious - and smooth - toooo smooth wink ) and also a red liquer (wish I knew what it was) - served in small ceramic cups. The son played his flute for entertainment and we had a late night blast - - - However, in the morning when I went to pay, the proprietor just charged me for the room - I told him that we had dinner and drinks - he asked how much. In my happy state the night before I had no idea - he asked his son who was passing - and he charged a fraction of what I thought I should be paying - when I said so - he waved me off - I felt like I was ripping them off but someone else there (with better language skills than mine) informed me that they "provided" much of the party. Of the additional stuff, it was traditional for the customer to keep track of what they spent and let them know... I did a better job after that so when I was asked what I had, I was ready. There was no "check". BUT, I found as I entered cities they were a little better at keeping track - - - Now, finally my question: Was this a regional tradition? - Would it be a dying one based on the influx of tourists - and the inevitable rip-pffs that would occur with such an honor system?

Side bar:
I loved the casual and warm interaction that I had with some rural folks and their business establishments. One restaurant had a motherly cook come back from the kitchen concerned that my son hadn't eaten enough! (One of those high volume menu del dia's that you can run across... 3 courses, including local wine or other drink, for around 6 euros) smile

Fup

#54784 - 05/19/04 10:14 AM Re: Paying the bill
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
That is quite typical in rural Spain. Spain is different! wink

I have been in villages were people invited you to their homes and gave you red wine and food for free (just for the joy of having people visit their village).

It is sometimes incredible how warm certain people can be smile

Fernando

#54785 - 05/19/04 02:29 PM Re: Paying the bill
Fupanier Offline

Loc: Oregon
I'm looking forward to being back! (A few short weeks away) smile smile smile smile smile cool

Fup

#54786 - 05/19/04 05:38 PM Re: Paying the bill
Anonymous
Unregistered

In some geographical areas (urban and rural) and in many rural areas it's pretty common the "honour system". smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments