Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54710 - 05/06/04 10:26 PM To Spaniards: How do you feel about the royal wedding? Irrelevant curiosity
Teag Offline

For years I have been interested in the social, political and spiritual/religious history of Spain, from medevial to recent history. Now for my irrelevant question - How do the Spaniards on this message board feel about the upcoming royal wedding? Between the magazines and the internet, the choice of bride and opinions of the next king seems to range from adoration to contempt. Even if his role is only ceremonial (figurehead), Juan Carlos has impacted Spain by publically supporting democracy and membership into the EU and NATO. What do Spaniards say about the impact, if any, his son will have? What, if any, influence will this new duo have on the culture? Sorry for the silly subject, yet even if royalty is only material for tabloids, the power of the media is so strong nowadays that even a seemingly irrelevant person has the potential to influence the social and cultural climate.

#54711 - 05/07/04 05:09 PM Re: To Spaniards: How do you feel about the royal wedding? Irrelevant curiosity
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
Anyone know if TVE International is going to air it live? Will every major network?

#54712 - 05/07/04 08:38 PM Re: To Spaniards: How do you feel about the royal wedding? Irrelevant curiosity
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Apparently they don't care one way or another. BUT at least they have to be happy about the FREE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION on the day of the wedding.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#54713 - 05/10/04 12:43 PM Re: To Spaniards: How do you feel about the royal wedding? Irrelevant curiosity
dbh Offline

Loc: Andorra
In my opinion Spaniards don't care about Kings, in later times we could see republican flags along the streets in recent meetings against Irak war, so Spaniards love the Royal glamour as they love ¡Hola!, ant tv shows related to the Royal familie, the wedding will be an absolute success to the media. I think today there are more "juancarlistas" than king-figure-fans, you give the reason in your message, so I think Felipe hasn't the charisma of his father, so the people are expecting. Particularly I would prefer one República

#54714 - 05/14/04 04:04 PM Re: To Spaniards: How do you feel about the royal wedding? Irrelevant curiosity
Skunk Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi all, I think that all the Royal family information related is strongly censored by the media. Now with the wedding we are suffering at least 3 or 4 hours of tv programs per day about the Royal family, I'm tired of it and I wonder how much money will cost it to all the Spanish people.
I thik all men are iqual so I'm not a fan of kings, queens, etc...

Please excuse my grammar ,-)

#54715 - 05/19/04 12:47 AM Re: To Spaniards: How do you feel about the royal wedding? Irrelevant curiosity
Spaniard Offline

Loc: Valencia
Hi Teag:

It would take a whole book to talk about the role of the monarchy in Spain, and the different feelings that the spanish people hold towards the king's figure: you know it well, 'cause you've studied it.

You asked for individual feelings, I think:

Personally, I'm happy with the performance of King Juan Carlos. I consider myself, as many spaniards (of course not all of them), more "juancarlista" than as a true royalist. I think that King Juan Carlos is a good representative for our country, and I like his political neutrality. If Felipe continues with his father's duty successfully, I'll become a "felipista".

What about the wedding? Well, by the way that media talk about it, it seems like a Hollywood stars wedding: mainly a gossip matter ("what will Letizia wear?", "Is really Queen Sofia happy with this wedding?"...you know). I am not really interested in gossip or wedding dresses. Anyway, I can't help feel curiosity and I'll watch the wedding on TV.

As a state affair, I'm interested. I wish that Felipe will be as prudent and good representative as his father, and that Letizia will be as prudent and good representative as Queen Sofia is.

Spain could easily go on as a Republic. That wouldn't make any problem. But even many spaniards maybe don't appreciate the royalist tradition, I think that a prudent and responsible King Felipe VI and a prudent and responsible Queen Letizia will mean some benefits for our country.

But, I'm telling you what I see on TV's and newspapers: a gossip matter. Only some radio programs talk about the state implications of the wedding, but my mother, for example, just want to see the wedding dress, the Letizia's haircut, and if Queen Sofia will cry a little or not... things like that. And my young brother just says: "bah! gossip, gossip, gossip...it's very boring". I think I'm in the middle.

Anyway, it will be a nice looking celebration to watch, and a 'historic' fact to remember.

#54716 - 05/19/04 10:08 AM Re: To Spaniards: How do you feel about the royal wedding? Irrelevant curiosity
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Ok my opinion:

I don't care much about the wedding. Good for our Prince and his bride, and very convenient for Spain and Madrid (a lot of publicity with little investment, one billion people will watch Madrid on their TVs).

But frankly, so much TV about the issue bores me soooo much...

I prefer monarchy over republic for practical reasons (a king is a proffesional head of state, the first ambassador; while a president of the republic has much less prestige), but won't cry if sometime in the future we change to a republican system.

Don't let be fooled: The people who watch TV, read tabloids and show that much entusiasm for the wedding would be the first ones to kick the king and establish a republic...

Fernando

#54717 - 05/19/04 01:26 PM Re: To Spaniards: How do you feel about the royal wedding? Irrelevant curiosity
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
"...so much TV about the issue bores me soooo much..."

Mmm...So now most you guys can begin to understand how many of us girls feel about so much; soccer, and half-naked chicks, for instance, on tv! laugh wink

#54718 - 05/19/04 06:40 PM Re: To Spaniards: How do you feel about the royal wedding? Irrelevant curiosity
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
laugh

#54719 - 05/20/04 04:22 AM Re: To Spaniards: How do you feel about the royal wedding? Irrelevant curiosity
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
Mmm...So now most you guys can begin to understand how many of us girls feel about so much; soccer, and half-naked chicks, for instance, on tv!
This is Forges' comic strip published in yesterday's El Pais:
[img]http://www.photoways.com/partenaires/pho...EFSVllZJzFXQlY=[/img]

Rough translation:
a) Your elbows are cracking
b) You're gonna damage your eyes
c) There are still two days left for the Wedding, Puri.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments