Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#54658 - 03/24/04 05:35 PM Asturian-American forum
Cristobo Carrín Offline

Loc: Asturias
Maybe you would like to visit the Asturian-American forum, www.asturianus.org a site devoted to explore the links between Asturias and West Virginia. You will find a nice message board, full of information on Asturias, West Virginia, the "Ellis Island" migration waves and so on. The site provides also some texts of their own, lots of Asturian links and pictures from the inmigrants.
The site is run by some descendants of those brave, hardworking people.

#54659 - 03/24/04 06:39 PM Re: Asturian-American forum
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Thank you Cristobo! What an interesting site. We visited Asturias 2 summers ago (We stayed in Pechon, in Cantabria near the border with Asturias. We fell in love with Llanes and the Picos.

#54660 - 03/25/04 09:32 AM Re: Asturian-American forum
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Muchas gracias, Cristobo. I was surprised when I visited Clarksburg, W.V. 25 years ago to find that there were so many Asturians living there. Apparently many moved there to work in the coal mines. I was beffudled when I went to the grocery store and found staples like chorizos, so I asked the grocer there and he told me about the Asturians living there, this is a small world after all!

#54661 - 03/28/04 10:44 AM Re: Asturian-American forum
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Thanks, Cristobo! I was delighted to find a receta for Fabada Asturiana there. The Cocido Lebaniega is very similar. One just substitutes Garbanzos for the Faba beans.

Next time I visit West Virginia (a neighboring State) I will try to find some Morcilla Asturiana now that I know there are people from Asturias there. I'm sure they brought their recetas for making Morcillas y Chorizos and handed them down to their descendants.

#54662 - 03/28/04 11:16 AM Re: Asturian-American forum
Cristobo Carrín Offline

Loc: Asturias
Wow, I am quite surprised, especially at the post from Booklady.
I have been rambling around the Asturian-American forum for some time now, and I got the idea that Asturian inheritance had vanished in the American melting pot, so just a handful of genealogy fans had bothered to find out about it. Now you tell me that there remains still some sort of Asturian settlement in WV! That is real news!
If you are really interested on it, you can visit Tampa, Fla. I heard once that Asturian-Cuban-Americans are quite visible there (that is, Asturian inmigrants who fled Cuba when Castro conquered). I wonder if they are still able to make morcillas...

#54663 - 03/28/04 08:37 PM Re: Asturian-American forum
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Cristobo the only Asturiana born I know is my little Asturiana Mother and she can still make the best Fabada this side of Spain!

Yes, Cubans of Asturian descendents have maintained the traditions even here in the U.S.A., particularly in morcilla and chorizo making. There is a family of Cubans in the U.S. that have maintained the tradition and they sell it here in Florida, they are good, but, in my opinion it tastes a little different than the ones we buy from Asturias, but much better than the Quijote brand.

The family's name is Lugareño,their story began in Asturias, Spain where Lugareño turned their own farm fresh pigs into chorizos, they left to Cuba to Camaguey, then left to Florida in the early 60's. You can buy their chorizos, salchichon, chorizon, and morcillas, in Miami, Orlando and Tampa.

By the way, I joined the forum and it is fantanstic. I have found much information about Aviles, Ribadesella y Villaviciosa. It has certainly made my month, Cristibo, muchisimas gracias. smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments