Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54586 - 01/15/04 01:06 PM nude beaches?
Julie2818 Offline

Loc: Texas
I hear Spainards are very open and have a lot of nude beaches and things of that nature. Is this true?

I am traveling with my grandparents, and I was worried they might disapprove of going to the beaches and things due to the nudity. rolleyes

Is it bad? confused

#54587 - 01/15/04 02:03 PM Re: nude beaches?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Is it bad?? What a question. NO, IT'S GOOOOOOD!! :p OH SO GOOD! hehehe.. wink I'm sure Spaniards can be more clear on this point that me but I don't think Spain has many "nude beaches". In fact, I think there's a thread on this topic which you should be able to find by using the SEARCH function. I think all of these beaches are on/near Spain's southern coast(s).

I do believe all beaches in Spain, however, are "potentially topless". I've seen many a female (whether they're Spaniard, French, Swedish, or whatever) on regular beaches in Spain without their tops but never without their bottoms. Would this be offensive to the grandparents? If so, avoid ALL beaches in Spain during the hotter months.

There's probably a higher percentage of topless females on the Spanish islands, however.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#54588 - 01/15/04 02:24 PM Re: nude beaches?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
After a while you get used to it.

Sixty or seventy years....... wink

#54589 - 01/15/04 02:33 PM Re: nude beaches?
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Spain is part of Europe, and Europeans take topless bathing pretty much for granted. My beach experience has been in Barcelona -- where there were topless bathers at the main beach and a small and out-of-the-way designated nude beach -- and Grand Canary Island. On Playa Las Canteras in Grand Canary at Christmas, everyone was fully clothed, maybe because it was relatively cool. In Maspalomas in the south of the island, I ran into what must be one of the world's largest and longest nude beaches. I'll tell you, it was no fun walking past all these Northern European senior citizens (many not in good shape at all) flaunting what God gave them either strolling around or -- picture this -- playing volleyball! However, I wasn't offended. The nudists/naturists are right in that sometimes a little bit of fabric on the right body is more arousing/provocative than just letting it all hang out.

#54590 - 01/15/04 03:15 PM Re: nude beaches?
Julie2818 Offline

Loc: Texas
Thanks!!! We will be traveling in March.. so i doubt we will see any nudists... How is the weather in March??

#54591 - 01/15/04 04:49 PM Re: nude beaches?
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
Yep, this is one of my favorite topics. When I was in spain there were topless people on the beach, but the grand daddy of all topless action is Ibiza. As a matter of fact the beach was Ses salinas which is not far from Ibiza city. There the adventurer can see full frontal nudity, people smoking hash on the beach and a real party atmosphere. I have to say it was one of the most relaxing places that I have been to.

#54592 - 01/16/04 02:30 AM Re: nude beaches?
Miguelito Offline

Well, Jo's kids have swimt in december... but I think it would be strange to see a local swimming in March, the weather can be nice but the water would be too cold. In March the weather can be anything, spring is umpredictable

#54593 - 01/16/04 03:05 AM Re: nude beaches?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In Spain, all or almost all the beachs allow top-less.

Quote:
". I've seen many a female (whether they're Spaniard, French, Swedish, or whatever) on regular beaches in Spain without their tops but never without their bottoms
And top-less men also. laugh laugh laugh

And we have a lot of nudist beaches, but usually you won't stumble into any unless you try to, because they are (or were) semi-legal only. Thus, there are nudist beaches only when people claim for them, and the Town Councils usually "allow" them in the more distant, worse communicated and worse sand beaches.

There are exceptions like in Gijón (asturias), where they have one just out of the city, although with almost no sand, lots of seaweed, small, with sightseers (with a telescope), and so on.

I have been to many, because I like nudism, but generally it's that way. Another exception is "La Playa Salvaje" out of Bilbao, which is half of a huge beach in a great environment. Half is nudist and half is not, because half belongs to a Town COuncil and the other doesn't. laugh

I am not pretty sure about nudist places in the South, cause I don't go South since long time ago, but in the North there are also a good number of them ,according to my experience, at least in Cataluña, Asturias, Cantabria and the Basque Country.

#54594 - 01/16/04 06:54 AM Re: nude beaches?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hi Julie2818

Because I have only been to the South of Spain in Winter, I have mostly seen people in big jumpers and coats rolleyes

However, both times I have seen designated nudist beaches where there were some determined souls making the most of the sea and beaches.

The first is near to Almunecar EAGLE PARK and was a small exclusive place. The second was a much bigger venture (which I was priviledged to witness from the window of a local bus) VERA PLAYA which seemed to have hundreds of naked people freeezing but enjoying themselves. By the way, there's a great picture of the webmaster of that site on the front page wink

Both these places would not be the kind of place you would just 'stumble' across by mistake if you are concerned about your grandparents.

Are you sure they would mind anyway?

The beaches in the summer will no doubt have lots of topless people, but again, are you sure your relatives would mind?

Jo

#54595 - 01/16/04 10:46 AM Re: nude beaches?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Eduardo writes:
Quote:
... I'll tell you, it was no fun walking past all these Northern European senior citizens (many not in good shape at all) flaunting what God gave them either strolling around or -- picture this -- playing volleyball! ...
In March you could encounter some Northern Europeans sunning themselves in the altogether on the Costa del Sol or Costa de la Luz. My reaction when I saw one of those Geriatric ladies topless was a strong desire to go over and ask her to cover herself up. eek I did the prudent thing: nothing!

Nude beaches in mainland Spain are usually away from what I call 'family' beaches in secluded sitess. Bathing attire is optional at most of Spain's beaches. So, in the summer season you are going to see some topless bathers. I've seen more attractive young women sunning and bathing themselves at hotel rooftop swimming pools than on public beaches. cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments