Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#54568 - 01/04/04 07:59 PM Re: Retiring in Spain
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Ignacio,

Well, to me Aviles would be pretty for sentimental reasons, since my abuelo was born there. The photographs that my uncle took showed a very nice town, about the size of its sister city, here, St. Augustine, Florida. Of course, this is very subjective, as you said. Yes, I am sure there are prettier cities in Asturias. My Mother was born in Ribadesella in the Atlantic Coast and that is a very pretty beach town, but I am sure the cost of housing would be more dear there.

Here are a couple of photos that I borrowed from the net about Aviles,
Here is a view that I like of Calle Ferreira leading to the Plaza .

About the costs quoted to my uncle, I believe that my uncle will have our cousins help him build his home. One is an albañil (builder) so perhaps that is where the cost may be a bit less, and his son is an architect, so that will help as well with the costs. But I think the savings will be because he is building a very small house.

Regarding the medical system, my uncle was positively impressed about the way the hospital treated my aunt,who had a heart attack while in Aviles. He said the hospital staff was very efficient and professional. Also the cost was very reasonable, he was smile impressed about that too.

#54569 - 01/04/04 09:19 PM Re: Retiring in Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, yes. Sentimental reasons are Very important. I like those photos and, if I recall well, the first one is in the street of the bars and disco-bars, that's animated at night besides of being nice by day, and that get's WILD in Carnival.

There are also other uglier remains of its industrial past, in the town. But if you feel like it, and you have lands or some kind of advantage, go ahead! smile cool laugh

#54570 - 01/05/04 09:55 AM Re: Retiring in Spain
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Ignacio, one thing I forgot to ask is what about impuestos/taxes on property in Spain. Does Hacienda tax homeowners for their property? Do you happen to know?

Gracias,
Carmen

#54571 - 01/05/04 10:14 AM Re: Retiring in Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Taxes:

On buying you pay 7% VAT tax. Including other expenses, you come to pay about 10% over the inicial property price. If you are given the property or inherit it you pay a similar amount.

You should theoretically pay a small tax on property throughout the following years, for the amount of the value of the property that's over the designated amount. When I last checked it was 25.000.000 ptas or so ( 150.000 €). However nobody does unless the property is worth much more than that, 'cause the tax agency doesn't care much (as I said the tax is small. Name: Impuesto sobre el Patrimonio).

If you are buying it with a loan, however, you get a refund of taxes depending on the money you pay yearly (with certain limits, max. depending on wether a person or two own it).

#54572 - 01/05/04 06:39 PM Re: Retiring in Spain
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
Yep things are getting more expensive in spain. The south is much cheaper. I saw a report on the BBC news where they interviewed two people from barcelona. They said that it is hard for people from barcelona to find places to live there. The report said that many northern europeans are moving to Barcelona, which is driving up prices.

#54573 - 01/09/04 01:59 PM Re: Retiring in Spain
pippo Offline

Loc: tarraco
Ignacio , people need now to rent a flat in Madrid , not only NOMINA but a lot of times BANKING GUARANTY , ( you can see in the adversiments: " Pedimos aval bancario), with this to ellements is almost impossible to be hooked by the man that want live in the flat renting it.

#54574 - 01/09/04 04:35 PM Re: Retiring in Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Banking guaranty.

First: It's asked for only if you don't have a Nómina (if you aren't in a Payroll).

Second: The guarantee does not guarantee all the possible monthly payments until you leave. Many contracts are for a year but follow on up to 5 years (by law the tenant can decide by himself if he wants to go on with a rise according to the general prices index - IPC).

Third: That guarantee is acquired by paying an amount to the bank. You ay leave and the bank would be the only responsible. That's why banks charge more for the service: their profit plus an amoun to compensate the losses for those guarantees not honoured by tenants. Precisely the tenants that need guarantees are the less solvent.

Fourth: That guarantee uses to cover some (or sometimes all) the monthly fees, but it does not use to cover damages by hooliganism of the tenants.
cool rolleyes

Fourth

#54575 - 01/10/04 07:58 PM Re: Retiring in Spain
JA Offline

Loc: usa
JUST IN CASE...

For those who have questions about retirement and Social security payments (being paid in Spain that is), go to:

{fROM A PRIVATE MSG TO ANOTHER MEMBER]

"Here is the site that has the official info. http://www.ssa.gov/ I looked at it and it seems pretty decent. The subsite that may help more is:
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?sub_category_menus=%7Eany%7E&p_cat_lvl2=%7Eany%7E&p_lva=&p_li=&required=qcat&p_page=1&p_new_search=1&_dflt_sub_c ategory=%7Eany%7E&p_cat_lvl1=24&go=Go

If you cannot get it, it is called international issues within the Social Security.gov site.

Juan.-

#54576 - 01/15/04 05:02 AM Re: Retiring in Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

About having tenants and the problems spanish owners have to take them out of their property in case that they don't pay (up to two years litiges):

Link (spanish only, Sorry!)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments