Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54558 - 12/31/03 08:48 AM Retiring in Spain
Quevedo Offline

Loc: New York City
Does anyone have any advice or insight for retirement planning in Spain? I am currently in my mid-40s and have had an attachment to Spain for the past 28 years. It has occured to me that retirement is not all that far away and that I would like to begin thinking about spending part of my time in Spain. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with such planning and could offer an advice. I would like to buy an apartment now and eventually live 4-6 months per year in Spain (probably from Jan through July). Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! smile

#54559 - 12/31/03 09:23 AM Re: Retiring in Spain
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I'm possibly the last person to give advice on savings/pensions etc. However I would like to point out that property prices (in common with the UK) have gone up tremendously over the last 2-3 years. In fact I'm sure that a flat in Madrid now costs 2 to 3 times more than it would have done only 4 years ago.
One option is obviously to buy a resort house which can be let out in the summer months. Another option is to buy an apartment in Madrid or Barcelona which you can then let out (there's always a demand from English language teachers who would be ideal tenants - short-term but generally honest and good payers). I would guess there are books and web-sites to study on the buy-to-let situation. My only fear is that now you would be buying at the top of the price market. Any comments from others?

#54560 - 01/03/04 06:48 AM Re: Retiring in Spain
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
One of the companies that lets out properties in Northern Spain to UK tourists is called Casa Cantabricas (www.casas.co.uk). In a recent brochure they advertise a 2-bedroomed house in Asturias which is close to mtns but 35 km from the coast. Low season is £350 a week (?500 Euros), High season is £610 a week (?900 Euros). Obviously if you rented a property via this company you wouldn't get all of that. Even so it may give an idea of what you could get back in rentals if you estimate 50%. Equally I doubt you would get many rentals outside of summer on the north coast, but that may suit you if you are looking to live 6 months yourself there!

#54561 - 01/03/04 09:01 AM Re: Retiring in Spain
Quevedo Offline

Loc: New York City
Thanks Filbert. The web site you mentioned was great and gave me several things to think about. While you are right about the housing prices being very high right now, I am hopeful that there will be some downward swings in the market at some time. Since I am not looking to retire for several more years (unless I hit the lottery!!) time is on my side with this idea. You have inspired me, though to start thinking about buying a place soon and renting it out until I am ready to move in. Now I have to look into the questions of property ownership, taxes, residency, etc ... Thanks again and happy new year!

#54562 - 01/03/04 09:14 AM Re: Retiring in Spain
pippo Offline

Loc: tarraco
Hello Quevedo , I can tell you that the price of a 2 bedrooms apartament ( new) in east Madrid ( Middle clase zone) is about 250 thousand euros ( about 300 thousand dollars).

But in the other hand if you wanna rent it you can earn arround 1000 dollars month for it.

Saludos , and happy new year.

#54563 - 01/03/04 09:22 AM Re: Retiring in Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

I may be wrong, but I believe you expect too much of the rent price. i don't think it'll reach that much. I have seen prices around 700 or 800 €, and I have scarcely seen 1000, as vell as I have from time to time seen under 600 provided the owner is also wanting somebody who cares about the flat, won't be problematic, or/and agrees to keep the income away from Tax Agency knowledge.

#54564 - 01/03/04 09:28 AM Re: Retiring in Spain
pippo Offline

Ignacio :

800 Euros = 1000 Dollars right now.

And I can tell you ( cause I.m one of the few young spaniards "INDEPENDIZADOS" that renting is VERY, VERY , VERY ,HIGH IN MADRID and is difficult to see a 2 bedrooms flat for less than 600 E ( very difficult).

#54565 - 01/03/04 09:44 AM Re: Retiring in Spain
pippo Offline

I recommend you this article , writted by Jhon Carlin for The Observer.
Sorry is in spanish cause is a translation made by Diario Clarin:
http://old.clarin.com/diario/2003/09/28/i-631322.htm

#54566 - 01/04/04 02:23 PM Re: Retiring in Spain
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Quevedo, I too have similar hopes, but like Ignacio and Pippo have said, the Big cities like Madrid are expensive. Unless you are willing to look at the smaller towns around Madrid, I believe that ESPE3 did that and got a piso at a reasonable price.

I have decided against the big cities like Madrid as a homestead, because I am looking for a more bucolic setting for my retirement. I am looking at the smaller pueblos in Galicia and Asturias, Leon, Extremadura, Andalucia, etc.

Last Spring my youngest uncle, who is also interested in retiring there, went to our cousin's wedding in Aviles and he did some research, and he found that it is possible to find a small 2/1 piso for $40,000 dollars, or better yet, to build one according to your own specifications. He purchased a lot near the family farm for $10,000,near a road and with a lovely view. When he retires in two years he will go back and build his piso. But of course Aviles is not Madrid, but it is a very nice town, from what he tells me.

He was particularly impressed by the Spanish Medical system. That is a question that I would like answered are there any ways that residents from other countries can buy medical insturance in Spain? Does anyone know?

#54567 - 01/04/04 03:17 PM Re: Retiring in Spain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pippo:

I understood 1000 €, no 1000 $. Sorry. Although in my neighbourhood (Saconia) a couple who are friends of mine rented one under 600 (two rooms), not too old (10 or 20 years), convenient, ... I believe the owner thought of the care of the flat (they look like - and are- the kind of people who are responsible) , and the fact that they were solvent.

Many owners do not declare the income to Hacienda (tax agency) so those who rent the flat are sometimes in a strong position if they are really bad guys. So, in some cases I have heard of renters who don't pay and won't leave, so you have to take them to court, and it's pretty difficult to make them leave, and these situations sometimes lead to a flat that is like a battlefield when they leave, once I saw a flat where they had burnt the floor (parquet) on leaving, and scratched the paint, ...

So, a person who pays on time, whose work is secure, who won't give problems, is preferred and sometimes pays less.

Booklady:

Avilés is a small town, that is not pretty (to me). I'd prefer many other towns in Asturias (except for miners' villages like Infiesto), if you are not living in Oviedo or Gijón.

BTW, the prices he tells you about seem very low, I believe. My dad has just made a (big, but not that big) house, in Burgos, and, being the land his, he still had to pay over 115.000 €.

As for the Health system, Is he inmpressed because it's good or bad? It used to be very good, but now, it's horrible in some aspects (when you need something else than first aid or a generalist doctor).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments