Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#54423 - 11/15/03 08:25 AM Madrid:Full-Bus Etiquette - Not nice!
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I have developed another pet hate whilst living out here. The buses here are often packed (no doubt due to the low prices). This is ok, and I actually don't mind too much standing on my journey. The problem is when you approach your stop (which is nearly always a popular get-off point). Now on Spanish buses the custom is to move and stand close to the exit door prior to the bus stopping. Cue hordes of little old ladies, who can't grasp the fact that a popular stop is coming up and everyone near the door is getting off at the same time. Consequently they cause mayhem as they panick that they are not close enough to the door and try and push past everyone else. Civilised it ain't...

#54424 - 11/15/03 09:10 AM Re: Madrid:Full-Bus Etiquette - Not nice!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You must be in one of Spain's larger cities, filbert. Which one?

I've experienced this in both Barcelona and Madrid and.. well... it's just the way it is. As you said, once you get on the bus you slowly make your way towards (but not at) the exit door in the back. And generally speaking, others will do the same as the stops come and go and you can usually "go with the flow". I too find it stressful sometimes but it seems everyone does the same so there's no bother - just gently, slowly push past those not willing or not able to move aside.

Some of the more popular metro stations in Spain can be the same. You're standing at the door waiting to get on or off and when the door opens a hoarde of people rush out or in and sometimes you almost miss the point of entry or exit. That's city-life for ya'!

And little-old-ladies deserve respect and patience. They've earned it. And I absolutely love seeing them (and the older men) so active in Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#54425 - 11/15/03 02:30 PM Re: Madrid:Full-Bus Etiquette - Not nice!
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I'm based in Madrid,where the Metro appears to increase by 10 km every year...
Going off at a slight angle,yes it is good to see a mix of people of all ages out and about. In the UK after 7 or 8 in the evening in town and city centres you will generally only see large numbers of teenagers and young adults. The atmosphere in Spain is more genteel/civilised at night (at least in my opinion).

#54426 - 11/15/03 11:58 PM Re: Madrid:Full-Bus Etiquette - Not nice!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'll update the subject line to reflect your city of reference. smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#54427 - 11/16/03 10:46 AM Re: Madrid:Full-Bus Etiquette - Not nice!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Just wait. As Christmas/Reyes approaches all those women (and men) will be carrying bundles, bags, and packages on those same buses! eek wink

Saludos, MadridMan

#54428 - 11/16/03 03:09 PM Re: Madrid:Full-Bus Etiquette - Not nice!
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
"The wheels of the bus go 'round and 'round"...

Bus riders don't seem to be any different than the ones here in So. Cal. I have the same problem with passengers all trying to rush the front door when the rear door is available. Of course you tell them to use the back door, some listen but mostly they don't. I don't mind letting the elderly out through the front door. It is much more convenient for them rather than having to paw their way thru the crowd in the rear. I like my seniors, they're my favorite passengers...always polite, they'll greet you the majority of the times and wish you a nice day. I don't mind them at all.

As far as people loaded with bags, grocery and kids.....hoy......the kids!!! Well, let's just say the holiday season can be very hectic! smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1906 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments