Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#54395 - 10/24/03 12:34 AM More to Andalucia then just Moors and the Gypsies and the flamenco
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
I was wondering if any one has any links to the Celtic and Visigothic rootes that Andalucia has. That is never pointed out. mad must be confusing for people living their having the Gypsie and Moor heritage of the region magnified but never mentioning the other heritage which is seperate then the Gypsies and Moorocans.

#54396 - 10/24/03 02:22 AM Re: More to Andalucia then just Moors and the Gypsies and the flamenco
Miguelito Offline

There were some important cultures developed in Andalusia in the prehistoric times, la cultura de los millares in Almería, 3000 BC :
http://usuarios.lycos.es/losmillares/
http://www.aldearural.com/alpujarra/historia/millares.htm

Celtics didn't arrive there I think, they were iberians and then they mixed in the celtiberian. Very important was The Tartesos Culture, known all over the Mediterranean sea by the Greeks and Phenicians. Other mediterranean cultures as Greeks, Cartagho and Phenicians had more influence in Andalusia. And overall the Romans which I think are as important even as the moors. It's easy to find things about Tartesos in any History web.
About visigotic, I don't think they left a big influence, as they were only a politic and militar ellite and the citizens were still Romans and lived with the Romans laws even in the visigotic times.

#54397 - 10/24/03 08:50 AM Re: More to Andalucia then just Moors and the Gypsies and the flamenco
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
I think most people realise there's lots to Andalucia. if you have a knowledge of history and the classics you'll have come across Hannibal and the Punic Wars, so you'll be aware of the Carthaginian and Roman past.
There are too many Roman ruins to even begin listing here.
In the link below you'll see lots of great places. If the pre-Roman peoples interest you, you should head for Jaen. Check out the route "Tras las huellas de los iberos"

http://sevilla.abc.es/galerias/especialarqueologia/index.htm

I'm off down south tomorrow and am going to see the mysterious Roman city and temples in Muñigua/Mulva and the necropolis of Carmona near Sevilla. I'll let you know what it was like.

#54398 - 10/27/03 06:48 PM Re: More to Andalucia then just Moors and the Gypsies and the flamenco
Anonymous
Unregistered

Miguelito, I think I read that more than 5 million goths invaded Spain in the decline of the Roman Empire. In a time when Spain's poulation was barely a handful of millions, it's not a despicable influence. It's true that they became the military elite and, along with the roman patricians, the nobility, but along the diverse ranks there were many of them.

However, I think their influence of any kind was lost in the southern kingdoms with the arab invasion.

EDIT: I meant " ...I think I read that more than half a million goths ...

#54399 - 10/27/03 07:22 PM Re: More to Andalucia then just Moors and the Gypsies and the flamenco
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Are there examples of visigothic architecture in Andalusia? I am curious.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1582 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments