Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#54376 - 10/10/03 11:21 PM spaniard kissing a lady's hand
mariacristi Offline

Loc: melbourne
Hi, i recently met a man from madrid who's holidaying here in australia.He approached me and chatted for 'bout 3 minutes before he introduced himself and held out his hand and i took it.To my surprise,he turned and kissed it.Now,that was the first time a man had kissed my hand and i got nervous 'coz i don't know what to make out of it!Then his phone rang and as soon as he turned to answer it,I quickly jump off my seat and walk away as fast as i can.Is my reaction silly? What does it really mean when a spanish man kiss a girl's hand?

#54377 - 10/11/03 06:43 AM Re: spaniard kissing a lady's hand
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
MariaCristi writes:
Quote:
... Now,that was the first time a man had kissed my hand and i got nervous 'coz i don't know what to make out of it!... What does it really mean when a spanish man kiss a girl's hand?
Of course, it's a sign of affection but, in the society of people with whom I associate, it is considered improper for a gentleman to kiss the hand of an unmarried woman. We got married in a Church in Madrid. As we came out of the Church, a friend of mine rushed over to the Bride, dropped to one knee and kissed her hand. My bride had never had her hand kissed by a gentleman before, so she was stunned. It was a nice gesture.

So this Spaniard probably wouldn't kiss the hand of an unmarried woman in Spain. By happenstance, you reacted correctly. The guy was just turning on his 'latin charm' to have his way with you.

#54378 - 10/11/03 09:10 AM Re: spaniard kissing a lady's hand
Anonymous
Unregistered

I never see that gesture here. However, I have done it sometimes, as a joke, like pretending to be an 18th century gentleman.

I think that guy was only trying to look more classy or romatic or look like a gentleman in his approach.

Very funny your reaction, although, on second thought, i wouldn't have considered it funny if it happened to me.

Eddie: I agree on the guy's motivation, but I don't think she dd the right thing. I don't think he was going to do anything that justified running away, like raping her or something. I would have felt offended if I was him.

#54379 - 10/11/03 09:29 AM Re: spaniard kissing a lady's hand
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

ive heard that spanish guys especially the older generation sometimes tip there hats at ladies.
but i wouldnt think that goes on in the younger generation if you know what i mean. i could imagine a mild-mannered spaniard senior citizen whos always outside in the plaza doing this but not a dynamic young spaniard.

#54380 - 10/12/03 06:25 PM Re: spaniard kissing a lady's hand
mariacristi Offline

Guys, thanks for your insights. Ignacio,point taken.I actually felt guilty for days after that 'coz I didn't mean to be rude.If only I could find this man,I would apologise.

#54381 - 10/12/03 07:16 PM Re: spaniard kissing a lady's hand
Anonymous
Unregistered

:-xxxxx (not in your hand) smile

#54382 - 10/13/03 12:55 AM Re: spaniard kissing a lady's hand
mariacristi Offline

Of course not. But if you were the guy,would you forgive me?

#54383 - 10/13/03 02:41 AM Re: spaniard kissing a lady's hand
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sure, it's not so big issue. Just an explanation, some laughts on it and that's it.

#54384 - 10/22/03 09:22 PM Re: spaniard kissing a lady's hand
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
I have never had my hand seriously kissed by any Spaniard whether in Spain or elsewhere; surely this one was a coy fella trying to charm you the old-fashioned way! (A man in Madrid once did a push up before me and kissed the tops of my shoes in front of the Reina Sofia, but that's ANOTHER STORY!)

In any case it is very common for most people from Spanish-speaking countries to get on with the kiss-on-the-cheek business as soon as possible. Say I am at a party and someone introduces Manolo from Spain to me. He might give me the double kiss right away or kiss me when he leaves the party, as if we've known each other for years. Actually, gender doesn't matter. Everyone will kiss everyone. That's the way it is, lots of warmth and affection!

If you think about it kissing on the cheek or shaking hands is just another way of greeting. This fella combined the two without getting too close. Very clever flirt.

cyber besos a todos

Churro

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#54385 - 10/22/03 10:47 PM Re: spaniard kissing a lady's hand
mariacristi Offline

Churro, I agree it was a clever flirt but it backfired on him.He freaked me out instead eek I was reading your journal and really enjoying it but have to go to work soon. I'll continue when i get home. Meanwhile, I'm figuring a way to control giggling in the office everytime I think of Juan eating 3 Bollos while waiting for you to wake up!!! laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments