Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#54303 - 09/08/03 03:52 PM Re: marshmallows and peanut butter
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
There was this one random cafe in Salamanca -- well maybe not cafe, more like a diner -- that had pancakes. We went there one late night and got pancakes with different fruit flavored syrup kind of like IHOP. It was on a side street off Gran Vía, across from Submarino I think. Don't know if it's still there -- but the pancakes were pretty much like the ones here.

#54304 - 09/08/03 04:56 PM Re: marshmallows and peanut butter
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Fun thread! Id never thought about marshmallows, i brough chocolate chips and peanutbutter last semester when i went. The chocolate chip cookies were a big hit with my friends, most had never made the homemade version before. As for the peanut butter, most were pretty disgusted to find out that many american children eat this on bread for lunch practically daily rolleyes .
One of my friends from Spain, came to visit me this summer in the usa, and we went to IHOP night, because I love pancakes! He had never had them before, and loved tasting all the different kinds of syrup they had smile
Kelly

#54305 - 09/08/03 07:46 PM Re: marshmallows and peanut butter
Floroz Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hey, thanks to everyone for all of the great ideas. I have marshmallows, hershey besos, & beef jerky all packed, I'm dealing with 20 Spaniards, so the peanut butter is out of the question, but the Reeses cups is a good idea. Now I have choices for my next trip to Spain!
I leave tomorrow morning! Keep the good ideas coming.

#54306 - 09/09/03 03:28 AM Re: marshmallows and peanut butter
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
How about pancakes?
Yes, there are pancakes here. They are called "tortitas" and are often eaten as a merienda or dessert with whipped cream and chocolate/strawberry syrup. I have yet to see any pancake mix here.

On my ever-ready wish list for my steady stream of visitors is peanut butter (yes you can get it here, but nothing beats Jif), pancake mix and syrup, sugar free jello/pudding mix, chocolate chips (especially Ghiardelli double chocolate), apple butter (and other home made goodies from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania), patis (fish sauce used in Asian cooking), mom´s home made chocolate chip cookies and brownies, craisins (dried cranberries), tahini (to make hummus) and Hershey´s pure cocoa powder.

I used to love Reese´s peanutbutter cups. My sister-in-law recently sent some over and I was surprised at how "sweet" they were to my taste.

#54307 - 09/09/03 07:07 PM Re: marshmallows and peanut butter
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
It might be fun to introduce Spanish friends to Rice Krispie treats (bars made with marshmallows, butter, and rice krispies), too. Here's the recipe:

Kellogg's® Rice Krispies Treats® Original

3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups KELLOGG'S® RICE KRISPIES® cereal

1. Melt margarine in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.

2. Add KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.

3. Using buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture evenly into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cut into 2-inch squares when cool. Best if served the same day.

Our Spanish exchange student, back in 1990, put peanut butter on EVERYTHING and went home with the largest jars she could find (and she had gained a bit of weight, as you might expect). I remember her trying it on a tuna sandwich.

Really.

#54308 - 09/09/03 08:07 PM Re: marshmallows and peanut butter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
It tastes like liquid Germolene
LOL @ Jo...

#54309 - 10/04/03 09:50 AM Re: marshmallows and peanut butter
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
For my banderillo friend I always bring back a dozen plastic jars of Orange flavored Gatorade. He makes it to drink when he does his thing, and, I expect, gives some to his torerro friends, too.

Now I have some new goodies to throw in the suitcase! Thanks. I have been able to find Peanut Butter here, but it can be difficult. The best brand is Deaf Smith County Natural Peanut Butter, that and the p-butter the government gives out free in the food program, maybe because it is just ground peanuts, nothing else?

#54310 - 10/07/03 08:58 AM Re: marshmallows and peanut butter
Miguelito Offline

You won't find me tasting peanuts butter !!
Chica, you can find tahini very easily now in Madrid, I bought it in one shop in Lavapies but I'm sure it's easy to find in arab shops.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1896 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments