Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#54281 - 08/13/03 12:06 PM People in Madrid
Eszter Offline

Hi!
What do you think about people in Madrid?
Are they kind with tourists?Do they speak other languages (for example English..)?
I've never been there, but my dream is to go there!

#54282 - 08/13/03 06:17 PM Re: People in Madrid
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
We are very kind laugh

In Madrid you may find a good amount of people who can speak english (20-30% or more).

Fernando

#54283 - 08/13/03 09:36 PM Re: People in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Eszter:
I think MUCH has to do from where you're coming. Are you coming from Europe or North America or from Asia? Some 'Americans' tend to see Madrileños/Spaniards as somewhat UNfriendly, rude, and disinterested towards tourists. However, I suspect that Italians and Greeks find them to be fine people.

You see, at least in my opinion, "it's all relative". Seems to me there is a long thread around here about perceived rudeness by waiters and staff in restaurants and hotels.

The Spaniards I've gotten to know relatively well are warm, welcoming, & friendly people. In fact, to me, Spaniards seem more real without much of the false-politeness that many others (including me) carry around with them in order to make those around us happy.

So what's the answer to your question? I guess there isn't any real answer. It all depends on your own background, your "home environment", your perspective.

Enjoy Madrid and Spain! I know you'll love it..... MORE if you have an open mind - NOT being judgemental. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#54284 - 08/14/03 06:47 AM Re: People in Madrid
Eszter Offline

Thanks the answers!
I'm from Hungary (Central Europe).

I hope I can go to Madrid soon!
I've only seen pictures about the city, but I LOVE it! laugh

#54285 - 08/14/03 08:51 AM Re: People in Madrid
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
MadridMan,
You've outdone yourself! That was an excellent response. It is true that weather one likes/dislikes something/someone really begins with one's own perceptions/values/beliefs, etc.

To the poster, I have found the people of Madrid to be polite and kind people,in general. They go out of their way to be helpful and love to assist people with information. The only caveat is: if you are in a line to buy something, ask who is the last person and get behind them. Madrileños do not like people who cut in line! laugh laugh

#54286 - 08/14/03 08:56 AM Re: People in Madrid
Eszter Offline

Booklady, thanks, I take your advice!

#54287 - 08/14/03 12:16 PM Re: People in Madrid
mikey Offline

Loc: ny
Yeah people from Madrid are very nice. I'm American and have never experience any biased attitudes or sneering. The only thing that bugs me, but I got used to it is when people call out for you. Here's it YO, which in itself is rude but in Spain they'll make a sort of sst sst sound and snap their fingers. It will appear rude but it's really not. Also insted of no or yes sometimes they'll make a similar sound to sucking the teeth or something. Can appear to be condescending but it's really not.

Ciao

#54288 - 08/29/03 01:01 PM Re: People in Madrid
el viajero Offline

Quote:
The only thing that bugs me, but I got used to it is when people call out for you. [...]in Spain they'll make a sort of sst sst sound and snap their fingers.
Funny... during the three months I lived in Spain, the only time I heard that was when I was walking up the Calle de la Montera or Gran Via late at night. And I'm pretty sure the women in question weren't just trying to strike up a conversation. smile

#54289 - 09/16/03 09:50 PM Re: People in Madrid
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
actually it is more of a chu sound. I herad it alot when I lived in sevilla.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1598 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments