Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#54217 - 07/16/03 11:36 AM Does anyone know the reason/main idea behind the "Cabezudos"?
marisa4444 Offline

Loc: nyc
Today in Jaca, they have been celebrating El Dia del Carmen (btw: my mother and I say happpy saint´s day to Booklady! laugh ) and my sister and I went to see the Cabezudos running and hitting people throughout the Calle Mayor near the church. I was wondering if anyone knew where the tradition of the Cabezudos started, and if there was any story behind them. Today, all the little children of Jaca were runing away from the Cabezudos, especially the one who everyone called Abuela (this Cabezudo had gray hair and ran very slowly), who everyone made fun of but were surprised when she ended up being the strongest Cabezudo. When we went to Pamplona, they used sponges to hit people, but here they use sharp sticks to poke and hit people eek (I cant describe how much of a surprise that was!!)
It was really fun, and much different from aything else I had ever seen!! Who would have thought Cabezudos would be so violent?!?
*marisa*

#54218 - 07/16/03 02:11 PM Re: Does anyone know the reason/main idea behind the "Cabezudos"?
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

my golly
isnt the dia de la virgen del carmen celebrated only in maritime towns and villages?!
theyre celebrated in most of the northern spanish coastal towns(llanes,laredo,baiona,ortiguiera,castropol,etc)
anyway isnt jaca considered "los pirineos" thats like not that close to any coast?
anyways have a great time in spain(northern spain in particular)and dont reject the caminho de santiago
im green with envy wink laugh

#54219 - 07/16/03 02:37 PM Re: Does anyone know the reason/main idea behind the "Cabezudos"?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Thank you Marisa, and please thank your Mom for me. Yes today is my birthday, and I am very oooold! Soy una viejita! But very happy to celebrate another birthday! laugh

Marisa, I found this website called Comparsa de Gigantes y Cabezudos that may answer some of your questions.

Hola fmiketheman,

Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, known as Nuestra Señora del Carmen in Spanish, is the patron saint of Bolivia, the Carmelite Nuns, Chile, and yes, fishermen! It is an international Catholic Saint celebration day, called the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

If you happen to be born on July 16 (and you are a Catholic girl)you ares usually named Carmen in Her honor, or if you are named Carmen, then you Saint's day is today, either way, Carmens worldwide have a celebration today! Lots of cake and Fanta de Limón!
Carmen! smile

#54220 - 07/16/03 03:38 PM Re: Does anyone know the reason/main idea behind the "Cabezudos"?
fmiketheman Offline

hey everybody

eek .... laugh .... :p

#54221 - 07/17/03 10:07 AM Re: Does anyone know the reason/main idea behind the "Cabezudos"?
marisa4444 Offline

Loc: nyc
fmiketheman:
well...yesterday when I was watching the news, they (of course) mentioned the festivals country wide and said that yesterdays parades went on all throughout Spain (coast or not).
After I wrote about the Cabezudos, we went to the "Gran Chocolatera". There was a loooong line leading into an apartment building where some of the "elder men & women" were giving out THICK hot chocolate (only 10 times better than regular hot chocolate laugh ) and pieces of cake. At around 11:30 pm there was also some music smile
Soon it will be el Dia de Santiago!!
btw: thanx Booklady!
*marisa*

#54222 - 07/17/03 10:35 AM Re: Does anyone know the reason/main idea behind the "Cabezudos"?
fmiketheman Offline

hey everybody

...oh..ok
thanx for clearing that i guess wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2145 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments