Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#54121 - 07/27/03 03:51 PM Re: The Conquest of the New World by Spain and some history
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

ok mr.joe
hehe

la leyenda negra the black legend are the LIES written by british politicals and passed down generations about spain and spanih history.

I would say there also anti-spanish at that time.
it was done in intention to represent "contraversiol" things the spanish have done in their history in negetive light if possible.

it was all done out of envy of the strong spanish empire and united and prosperous catholic monarchs.
spain was the united states of that age.so envy was quite possible.

the u.s also copied the brits in this.they were pissed by the spanish -american war and at mexico and were also anti-catholic at the time.so they used this method to avenge spain.
the brits were also anti catholic back then rolleyes

hope i did not bore you but thats what the black legend is.

#54122 - 07/27/03 10:10 PM Re: The Conquest of the New World by Spain and some history
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Folks, there is a wonderful article that appeared in the Cornell Review several months ago dealing with this same topic. specifically with all the misinformation about the Spanish Inquisition. It is worth a close look.
Quote:
examination of the Spanish Inquisition reveals it to be none of the things it is alleged to be, but to be in fact the most just tribunal of its time.

The very word &#8220;Inquisition&#8221; (which actually comes from the verb "to inquire') conjures up morbid notions of torture, lynch mobs, and oppressive totalitarian men in brown robes carrying out sadistic punishments for no proven cause. This is the image taught and depicted as an apodictic truth by mainstream society. Modern scholars, and a recent BBC expose, have found the truth to be quite to the contrary.

One must first realize why the Spanish Inquisition was founded. At the time (late 15th century), Spain was under attack by, believe it or not, Turkish Muslims set on their own jihad &#8211; as it turns out the Iberian Peninsula was also infringing on Muslim Holy Ground. False conversions to Christianity to avoid suspicion were common &#8211; producing converts who would later clandestinely aid their invading cohorts. The uprooting of these bogus conversions in an attempt to halt the invading Turks was the initial aim of the Spanish Inquisition.
. In contrast, as the BBC points out: in the 350 years of the Spanish Inquisition, only between 3,000 and 5,000 people were killed, while at the same time the rest of Europe burnt 150,000 women for witchcraft alone.

Some of the information used by the BBC came from the annals of the Catholic Church, which kept in-depth internal records of each case. Since these were internal, and hence secret (until recently), their veracity is held in high regard, as forgery would gain nothing.

Joe, the Wikipedia web site has this to say about the "Black Legend" or Leyenda Negra.
Quote:
Historians who support the Black Legend interpretation claim that the Black Legend was a consequence of propaganda campaigns.

Some of the most damning support for the legend comes directly from Spaniards:

In 1552, the Dominican friar Bartolome de las Casas published "Short Account of the Destruction of the West Indies" (Brevísima relación de la destrucción de las Indias), an exaggerated account of the excesses happening during colonization of Hispaniola, in which he argued against the enslaving of American Indians, proposing that African Negroes be carried instead. The book was extensively used by the Dutch during their independence war from Spain. In this way, some Dutch and English Protestants would have directed their hatred of Catholicism specifically at the Spanish, because Spain was the most important Catholic country of the period and waged wars against them (Spanish Armada, Dutch Independence War).

Antonio Pérez was a minister to the King of Spain. After falling in disgrace, he fleed to Europe where he published libels against the Spanish Monarchy.

The imprisonment and subsequent death of Don Carlos by his parent Philip II of Spain added to the legend. This event inspired an opera.

Also, the pope Alexander VI has become almost a mythical character, and countless legends and traditions are attached to his name.

In addition, the other European colonial powers, rivals of Spain, envied the Spanish Empire, the first in the history to include territories in all the inhabited continents, and the most powerful throughout the 16th and the 17th century.

This legend stemmed from a variety of sources, and by the early 18th century most of Europe had applied this stereotype to the Spaniards.

I agree that the root of the Leyend lies at the feet of the Reformation. Until very recently, not only were the Spaniards and their Latino decendents included in this bit of ignorance, but the Irish as well, the "Black Irish, Catholics, to be specific.

#54123 - 07/27/03 11:00 PM Re: The Conquest of the New World by Spain and some history
Joe Offline

Loc: Bridgeville, Pennsylvania
Thank you, Brooklady and Mike, for filling me in.

I have read what I can find on these subjects, but I am by no means an expert.

¡Que tengan una buen semana, todos!

#54124 - 07/29/03 01:09 AM Re: The Conquest of the New World by Spain and some history
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
That is most definetly true could not agree with you more fmiketheman.

#54125 - 07/29/03 11:39 AM Re: The Conquest of the New World by Spain and some history
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

quintos

of course

#54126 - 08/15/03 02:35 AM Re: The Conquest of the New World by Spain and some history
Quintos233 Offline

I just want to make one thing clear here what im trying to get across to people. Is that all the act of the conquest of the Aztecs is Spain was and is war,conquest,and death and it is also much more. It is up to you how you percieve on the greatest clashes of man kind the conquistadores and and what came of em continure to exist to this day dont be ignorant. I also want to state that I dont consider my self an expert just some one that notices excesive emphasize on the negative aspects of the Spanish Empire.

#54127 - 08/16/03 03:05 AM Re: The Conquest of the New World by Spain and some history
Quintos233 Offline

Any how I think we have squezed about as much we could out of this topic. wink

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1598 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments