Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#54045 - 06/26/03 09:15 PM Spain labors to bring home baby - and the bacon
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Here's a fascinating article in the The Christian Science Monitor about a serious problem that Spain like Germany and Italy are facing: falling birth rates. eek eek

Quote:
In the tiny southwestern town of Calzadilla, new mothers receive more than just a little bundle of joy.

The mayor awards a live Iberian pig - more valuable than a year's supply of diapers in this ham-producing region - to every couple with a newborn. It's his way of encouraging more births in a nation with one of the world's lowest fertility rates.

But many here say these efforts fail to understand the reasons behind reluctant motherhood. Some of the factors are economic. Others stem from a newfound independence among Spanish women who watched their own mothers wilt under familial burdens.
In 1976, a year after Gen. Franco's death, Spain was third in Europe in numbers of births, behind Ireland and Portugal.

With the advent of democracy in 1978, the suppression of women's rights gave way to a society that valued "freedom" above all else, especially sexual freedom.

The Pill can be bought without a prescription. Prostitution and abortion are legal, gay and straight couples have equal rights and, in Andalusia, taxpayers subsidize sex-change operations.

Rejection of motherhood, in this context, fits into a pattern of rebellion against the old, machista order says women's rights advocate Carmen Pujol of the Association of Women Jurists. "Women don't want to live the life their mothers did, so they go the other way."

Now, almost half (46.7 percent) of the adult female population is childless, according to the National Institute of Statistics. The European Union average is 39.5 percent. Spanish statistics on college graduates are even more dramatic: only 1 in 3 knows the joy of 2 a.m. feedings.

#54046 - 06/26/03 10:07 PM Re: Spain labors to bring home baby - and the bacon
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
My family was just discussing this phenom last week! Thanks for sharing the article!

#54047 - 06/26/03 11:37 PM Re: Spain labors to bring home baby - and the bacon
Espe3 Offline

jejej- which is also one of the reasons they've recently changed the Codigo Civil- to bring back some of the Spanish kids born to Spaniards outside of Spain, trying to get them to go back- more youth, and hopefully setteling and having kids there!

#54048 - 06/27/03 02:30 AM Re: Spain labors to bring home baby - and the bacon
Miguelito Offline

Well, personally I think there are other things also important right now: the price of the houses and the bad quality of jobs (low salaries, long journeys and the unemployment menace) make the couples to leave parent's home very old, and with the high mortage people have babies much more later and they don't have time to take care of children....I don't know if this is the same in other European countries.
Of course there's also a lot of people that doesn't want to have children.

#54049 - 06/27/03 08:58 AM Re: Spain labors to bring home baby - and the bacon
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I agree with Miguelito. Yes, there has been a lot of sexual freedom expressed over the years in Spain, but I would be hesitant to identify it as the only reason for a low birthrate.

As Miguelito has stated, the prices of houses has skyrocketed over the past 5 years. I am astounded to see that a 20 square meter flat in a not-so-nice section of Madrid gets listed for 100,000 €. For the average American, perhaps that is not so bad for living in a Capital city, but remember the average salary here is also about half of what it is in the States.

Young couples struggle to buy a house here, saving for years and then only able to afford something modest and small. I am befuddled as to how they can do it. How can they afford the house, the car, the daily living expenses...and then a kid to boot?!

Unless the goverment does something radical and soon to change the direction of the construction and housing industry, it can continue to count on a low birth rate for years to come.

Another thought has also come to mind...while the birthrate is low, I wonder if any consideration is given to the number of Spanish couples that adopt children. I am not familiar with the statistics, so I rely on my not so scientific approach of what appears to be... I see more cross cultural adoptive families here (African, Asian, South American, Indian, etc) than I ever recall seeing on an average day in the States...at least in Philadelphia. Just my humble observation.

#54050 - 06/27/03 07:52 PM Re: Spain labors to bring home baby - and the bacon
Jonsoniana Offline

I agree with what have been said in the previous as regards the reasons for the low birth rate in Spain. I think it has much more to do with economic issues than with a defiance to the old patriarchal system.
I am a 28-year-old woman, with a steady relationship and I am more than willing to get married and have babies, just as my partner is. The problem is that we do not have steady jobs and in our current situation, it would not be responsible to have a child. It is not that we aspire to be millonaires, we just want a nice house, money to pay the bills and live without problems, just as our parents have done. It turns out it is much more difficult now due to the job situation...Mine/ours is not an isolated case, most of the people I know is, unfortunately, on the same boat.
Seeing so many people in the same case, makes me think that it is not that my generation is rebelling against the old established order or the traditional role of woman as mother and wife, we do not have babies because we do not have the means to bring them up. I guess there may be some feminists who in an attempt to revindicate the rights of their mothers or grandmothers decide to go for a radical change in lifestyle...but I bet they are a minority and I am stil to meet one.
I have worked hard for my career for the last 10 years, I have enjoyed my freedom in a way women of my age 20 years ago could not do and I have had more opportunities than most people have, so I consider than being a woman has not hindered me in any way (it may be as some crazy feminist told me some time ago that I have patriarchy so internalized that I do not realize it, WHATEVER!)Now, as a woman, I want to be a wife and a mother because I happen to have found the perfect person to share my life with...too bad the economic situation of this country and the working conditions for people in the late 20s truly sucks. They always look for the strangest reasons to justify this sad phenomenon...too bad these very true reasons go against the interest of those leading the economy...

#54051 - 06/27/03 08:53 PM Re: Spain labors to bring home baby - and the bacon
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Jonsoniana,
The article underscores exactly what you have shared with us in your thread:
Quote:
Employment discrimination against Spanish women is still prevalent, as are salary gaps between the sexes.

Twice as many women as men are jobless in Spain, and 40 percent of women lucky enough to find a job have temporary positions. While it's illegal to fire a woman for getting pregnant, employers often look for excuses not to renew her yearly contract, says Susan Brunel of Spain's Labor Commission. Many women put off having kids until they have more reliable employment. The situation is so dire that, this spring, Spain's conservative administration announced a plan that would, in effect, pay businesses not to fire pregnant women.
The circumstances you described are also prevalent in other industrialized nations as well. Here in the U.S. the same thing has happened. When I was a young woman in my 20's it was nearly impossible for a young couple to make it on just one salary, this was in the early 1980's. Women's salaries lagged dearly behind that of men back then, and to some extent this still exists today in certain regions of the country and in certain industries. Likewise women in child bearing years are still being discriminated for promotions compared to men. The Family Medical Leave Act has tried to adddress this by allowing both the husband and wife to stay home with a newborn. Generally it's the wife that stays home because her salary is smaller.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1623 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments