Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#53975 - 05/15/03 11:57 PM Re: how to meet a good spanish man?
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

youre so right fernando

i learned guapa from a t.v. show i saw on antena3,when madridman had it on this web.the show is "el diario de patricia"
everytime a woman of all types of looks even fat was walking through towards the panel the guys yelled out "GUAPA.WOOHOO,GUUUAPAA.
thats what i thought it only meant.
i didnt expect all this.
oh well thats called culture shock.

#53976 - 05/16/03 07:40 AM Re: how to meet a good spanish man?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
There is a famous saying in spanish that says: "La intención es lo que cuenta" (it is the intention what counts). wink

When I was in the States I suffered myself various of these "culture shocks" laugh

One of them was talking about politics and religion, until a friend of my host mother told me: ."Fernando, in the States it is very rude to talk about politics or religion because it is a very sensitive matter". I didn't know where to hide myself... I had been talking for hours... and even asking people the differences between a democrat and a republican, or even asking which religion they followed as if it was a natural thing to talk about (at least in Spain it is). smile

Fernando

#53977 - 05/16/03 08:44 AM Re: how to meet a good spanish man?
gatawannabe Offline

Loc: Madrid, but from Los Angeles
fernando,
it really depends who you are talking to. Some people take offense to religion and political talk, but from what I have found, it's not a big deal. And I am American. Also by asking the difference between a Democrat and Republican is a question of trying to educate yourself. People are too sensitive these days. Amoung your peers, talking religion, politics and other "sensitive" topics should be just fine...if not, just say you are foriegn and didn't know!

#53978 - 05/16/03 08:51 AM Re: how to meet a good spanish man?
Espe3 Offline

Fernando- I know, that's why I wanted to explain to Mike that it could be taken 2 ways- good and bad- and I did say that I wasn't sure of the way he was intending it.

As for what your host mother said. Its not rude, people do discuss it here- only they do it with the understanding that its one of those topics that isn't going to go anywhere- just like anywhere else. Yes, there are more people sensitive to it, and apparently your host family were some of those people. But if you don't ask- you're never going to learn, so only natural that you're going to want to know about those things, as its also cultural and learning a language is not just about vocabulary! So don't worry! Maybe in the future though, try to approach the subject in a more gentle way and see how people respond to it with you before getting indepth about it- (at least with Americans I think it helps).

Mike-again, I wasn't sure of the way you had intended to use it- which is why I was clarifying that.

Both Fer and Mike I did apologize in advance for not being sure of Mikes intentions of using the word and if I had confused him with a different poster on another thread about the narrow hips comment- I don't know what more I can do- I thought my post was pretty clear. If we don't help eachother out with those things- Mike with guapo/a and Fernando what you were told about politics/religion nobody would learn anything, am I right? Again, its more than language, its about culture exchange- I have an advantage because neither culture is a stranger to me- which also becomes a disadvantage sometimes because I am more familiar with certain things that a non native may not be familiar with like guapo/guapa having more than one meaning and may interpret things one way when they were meant another- again its all about culture and dialog to clear up this things. No harm inteneded. At the very worst someone learns something new. No crees?

#53979 - 05/16/03 10:01 AM Re: how to meet a good spanish man?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Fernando, I think the issue about discussing politics and religion is an interesting one...I can talk about politics and religion with friends (though it's more comfortable to talk about politics with people who are similar to me, and about religion with people whose practices are different, for some reason!), but I tend to avoid doing so with my extended family (with whom I have HUGE differences on those topics!). It's just easier, I guess, to avoid conflicts or intense conversations over the family dinner table--though in all honesty, it makes our conversations somewhat artificial/shallow much of the time (how many times can you talk about the weather, what to do tomorrow, etc.)?

I think the issue is to be sensitive to your conversational partner's tone and body language--you can always tell, if you pay attention, if someone is uncomfortable with the direction of the conversation. This may be a little more challenging with a language barrier (which doesn't apply in your case, as your English is fabulous!).

Another thing is that many Americans approach these issues very carefully--for example, I might ask a semi-political question to see if someone thinks like I do (e.g., "what did you think of the big anti-war protests in Minneapolis last month?"), and then decide whether to pursue the conversation. If they respond in a way that matches my views, we can talk more freely--but if they turn out to be exactly the opposite, I will frequently drop the conversation or change the subject. It's the same with religion...many people seem to try to figure out other people's religious views without directly asking. Maybe this is a cultural thing in America, or a midwestern U.S. thing, or something like that.

I (and my close friends, and my husband, and even my daughter, who is only 6!) would happily talk for hours about the differences between our major political parties, or the intricacies of various religious practices--let's meet for a caña in Madrid someday!

#53980 - 05/16/03 10:10 AM Re: how to meet a good spanish man?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

I think (and I thought when I was there in the States) that that cultural difference was very interesting indeed. When you live somewhere for all your life you tend to think that all the world has the same ways of aproaching similar problems, though that is not correct.

It was very very interesting to saw that in the States wink

Anyway thanks for your comments (gatawannabe, Espe3 and taravb). Espe3, there is nothing tp apologize for wink

And taravb, my english is far from fabolous, but I'm making some advances in my written english with this fantastic MadridMan's Board Super English Course laugh

But keep on posting about the original topic, it is something to be proud of when american girls talk about hunting spanish men laugh

Fernando

#53981 - 05/16/03 10:18 AM Re: how to meet a good spanish man?
Shona Offline

Loc: England
Hey Fernando,

I hope you didn't just get me confused with an american girl. I am half english/half irish and very proud of it- actually only proud of the irish part. I just had to correct you if thats what you meant. I am actually from Liverpool.
Just wanted to clear that up.
Thanx for all that advice. I'll take it into account when i go there.

#53982 - 05/16/03 10:35 AM Re: how to meet a good spanish man?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
As an American girl who dated a wonderful Spanish guy, I can say that they are worth the effort (though I ultimately married a very charming and handsome Italian one!). Good luck, chicas!

#53983 - 05/16/03 10:36 AM Re: how to meet a good spanish man?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Right! Excuses Shona, sometimes I forget that there are not only americans (and spaniards) in the board (though they are the majority). smile

Best regards.

Fernando

#53984 - 05/17/03 09:43 AM Re: how to meet a good spanish man?
zorro37 Offline

Loc: England
Hi shona, Can't understand you not being proud of being English. Not proud to be a liverpudlian -yes I can understand that. Not doing too well in the league or the cup at the moment!!

Looking at all the foregoing messages it does show the wsidom of the the rule when I was in the army. No religion or politics in the barrack room. smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2721 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments