MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#53919 - 05/18/03 03:16 PM Re: racism in Spain
Shona Offline

Loc: England
Hi,

I just wanted to add my own thoughts to this matter. I think that it depends on where you are in Spain. I spent a year in the east of Castilla La Mancha in a small village of 2,000 people. There I lived with a cuban woman who everybody talked about behind her back and everybody made jokes about her and didn't really like her. Also they were all very racist towards morrocans. So i think that Spain is a racist country but towards certain nations due to the past and the problems that the country experiences.
But when i was in Madrid and in Valencia there was no such comments made and everybody was a lot more open-minded. Also there exist a lot of racism to other regions within Spain but this i see as normal as it exist in the UK as well and is a natural response to the situations in which the regions find themselves.
just my opinion

#53920 - 06/10/03 09:42 PM Re: racism in Spain
Joe Offline

Loc: Bridgeville, Pennsylvania
I have a cousin who lives in Madrid. He has lived in Spain since 1977 and he considers it to be home. His esposa is a madrileņa and their son and daughter have been educated in the American (?) School. They speak perfect Castillan and Pittsburghese. No easy feat!

Art told me that Spaniards really donīt like Arabs, especially Moroccans. Since I have yet to make my first trip to Spain, I only know what I have read or been told.

My esposa is Latina (caleņa, de Colombia) and again, I have read that the Spanish of Cali is very close to that of Madrid. What I donīt know is how Spaniards view Latin Americans. If anyone can shed some light on this please let me know. We are planning a trip to Spain next year, hopefully to coincide wiht a visit to Normandy when the (most likely) final ceremony commemorating the D-Day invasion will take place. A great uncle fought in that battle and managed to make it home, so I want to see that too, even though itīs a little off-topic.

#53921 - 06/14/03 11:07 PM Re: racism in Spain
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Sounds like the work of a facha to me?....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2052 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments