Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#53899 - 04/29/03 10:44 AM racism in Spain
princess Offline

Loc: usa
I just had a friend come back from Madrid and she told me something very disturbing. She said while in Madrid a couple weeks ago she was treated very rude by the people she encountered because she was black.She is a very nice person so I know she wouldnt have been mean to anyone. But can anybody tell me whats up with that? Black or white. Ive heard about the racist view some spaniards have toward African people but never took it serious. My friend told me once the people realized she was American their attitudes changed but should I be worried about being treated badly by the spanish people because Im Black? I'm not a scary person and I can take care of myself but I do want to be prepared.
Peace to all cool

#53900 - 04/29/03 11:39 AM Re: racism in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
While I'm not doubting your friend's experience, what made her think she was being treated rudely because she is black? I think there are a few threads in this forum about Americans being treated rudely by Spaniards but it may just be a perceptual thing. What's rude in the USA may not be considered rude in Spain. We here in the USA have very high requirements for the way we're serviced and this required service doesn't exist throughout the world in the same way.

Also, you may want to read the lengthy thread " Black in Spain " written by an American black woman on this message board.

Again, sorry to hear about your friend's experience in Spain. I hope it was just a misunderstanding.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#53901 - 04/29/03 11:47 AM Re: racism in Spain
Miguelito Offline

I don't think it's something normal that attitud against black people, although it's something more usual to be judged by the external appearance (clothes, piercings...). People in shops or bars could think you're 'suspicious' because of the way you dress.
There are a lot of threads about this, you can make a search.

#53902 - 04/29/03 12:25 PM Re: racism in Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
With all due respect... I've been in the States, in Ireland and in England, and I've seen how common people treat and talk about blacks, and what I've seen is that (in general... as always) spaniards are much more natural with the issue than the people of these other countries.

I would say even more: In general people will try to be even more kind with blacks because they are different and uncommon in Spain.

Of course we have also idiots and racists that will try to make a clear demonstration on how their unique neurone is able to show the detest they have for everything different from themselves...

Fernando

#53903 - 04/29/03 02:32 PM Re: racism in Spain
princess Offline

Loc: usa
Thanks! I dont know what she encountered but I hope it was isolated.

#53904 - 04/29/03 03:51 PM Re: racism in Spain
atrixo Offline

I’ve consistently heard that Spanish men are fascinated by black women but I’ve always wondered if there is any fascination between Spanish women and black American MEN. I mean if a black guy were to go out to a club, would girls be interested in dancing with him and possible taking it a step further or will they just stare at you like you’re an alien. To put it plainly without offending anyone, will a good-looking black American guy be able to meet girls to talk and dance with and ultimately hook up with? I know all the girls are beautiful but I really don’t want to have to just look and not get physically involved. I’m just wondering if anyone has any experience, maybe a friend who was a black guy or people you’ve seen at clubs…do they get any action or do people just think they’re freaks?

By the way. I really love this site. The people who post are really knowledgeable and the range of topics and excellent answers has really impacted planning my trip to Spain. Thanks everyone.

#53905 - 04/29/03 04:30 PM Re: racism in Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
To be honest atrixo, I believe a black american man would have more difficulties to get involved with a spanish woman. In a society with such a small percentage of black people they are still considered exotic people (in all the senses, that may also work to your advantage in some cases).

That doesn't mean you won't have any chance. Today I have seen in a big store a young couple (he was black, and she was white) and I have remembered this topic smile

Fernando

#53906 - 04/29/03 05:49 PM Re: racism in Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
My experience has been that "foreign=exotic", not just "black=exotic". I'm super-feo and pasty white but never had a problem meeting "las doncellas" when the mood hit me.

In many circumstances, I was the first American that people had met in person...this only added to the exotica of the situation. I tend to agree with Fernando's synopsis of the situation: Due to the relative rarity, a black man would have more difficulty forming a lasting relationship with a Spanish woman...for reasons of 'conditioning' if nothing else.

In other words, if you don't grow up in a diverse area, when diversity comes, it's not your natural draw, and therefore somewhat less comfortable to you.

#53907 - 04/30/03 05:23 PM Re: racism in Spain
SRedw Offline

As an African-american male, I have not experienced racism in Spain. Many people think that I am Cuban and therefore don't assume that I am American. I have been to Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico and Spain. Throughout all of these countries, I can't say that I have been discriminated against.

All in all, I don't go anywhere looking to be discrimnated against. I live my life to the fullest and if I feel that I am being discrimated against, I say something and keep on going.

Shawn

#53908 - 05/01/03 04:11 PM Re: racism in Spain
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
More than racism, I would say that classism is the true dividing line here in Spain.

Just being African (African-American) won´t necessarily mean that you will experience racism. However, as one Spanish friend pointed out, an African immigrant selling bootlegged CDs on a blanket in Sol is definitely treated differently than a decently dressed African making a decent living.

I am actually quite pleased to see the diversity represented on some of the newscasts here in Madrid. On Sunday mornings TeleMadrid has a multicultural newscast with 4 young journalists (25-30yrs old) each from a different country. The news is presented by them both in Spanish (with their unique accents) as well as their native language. Also on TVE1 there is quite an attractive female journalist who is of African descent (although due to her flawless accent, I would venture to guess that she is Spanish born).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2046 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments