Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#53848 - 06/10/03 07:53 PM Re: Spanish weddings
Amanda Panda Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL USA
Can someone please tell me what "smart" means when refering to style of dress? Does smart mean formal? Sincerely your confused American,
Amanda

#53849 - 06/10/03 09:06 PM Re: Spanish weddings
Espe3 Offline

smart = sharp

#53850 - 06/10/03 09:26 PM Re: Spanish weddings
Joe Offline

Loc: Bridgeville, Pennsylvania
If the ceremony is Catholic, then expect it to take at least an hour, maybe a little more. since Spain is nominally a Catholic country it will likely be a wedding Mass, and communion will be offered (this is for Catholics only!)

Appropriate dress would be semiformal. I know that in Latin America (probably the same goes for Spain) the locals can be offended if one enters a church dressed casually.

If there is anything else just ask.

#53851 - 07/16/03 11:15 PM Re: Spanish weddings
karalynn Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US...
I am going to be attending a wedding in the Galacia region on 26 Julio 2003. I know it is going to be very hot and I was told by the groom that it is "Smart Formal." I am Catholic, so I am familiar with the shawls in church, but I am still unsure how formal I need to be dressed. Also, are stockings (tights or pantyhose) a must? Thank You for any insight, my date is of NO help with the dress code. Also, in general, what is the dress code in Spain. Do people wear shorts and tanktops?

Thanks Again - Culturally Challenged, Kara confused

#53852 - 07/16/03 11:28 PM Re: Spanish weddings
Espe3 Offline

Shorts are not the norm unless you're at the beach. Tank tops are ok.

As for the wedding- in summer, at least if your somewhat tan- yes, you can skip the hose.

Ask who invited you to the wedding to give you an example of what some of the people are talking about wearing (or if you know someone else that's attending). That's usually the best way- especially since everyone's definition of Formal is different. But I can guarentee you its not Black Tie dress! So maybe that will help as a guide.

#53853 - 07/17/03 07:50 PM Re: Spanish weddings
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

its going to be hot in galicia?!
i dont think so.
youre stereotyping.
oh what the hell rolleyes
youre not the only one whos has done this rolleyes

#53854 - 07/17/03 08:24 PM Re: Spanish weddings
Espe3 Offline

Mike- sorry to burst your bubble- but in the summer (during the day), yes it does get hot- its just more tolerable in Galicia. Although I must say, that the water in Galicia if you're going swimming is FREEZING it took me 3 days just to get up to my knees! :o

At night it does get considerbly cool- keep in mind you're in the mountains- so you shouldn't dress to summery for the wedding- definately have something to cover with if its outdoors.

#53855 - 07/18/03 11:09 AM Re: Spanish weddings
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

espe3

daytime temperatures in the lower and mid 70s and seldom exceeding 77 degrees ?
you kidding me?
thats not hot thats more like pleasant with little trace of hot.
or maybe youre referring to orense?
i tell you for real that the rest of galicia is rarely hot.only orense but not always though.
why do you think the water is so cold there.
i asked my dad yesterday,i said this lady on MM'S said galicia is hot during the summer.he said shes probably referring to orense.i said oh yeah dad ill go tell her right now.

#53856 - 07/18/03 09:20 PM Re: Spanish weddings
Espe3 Offline

I went to Vigo and Bueu. It was HOT! and the water- freezing, because, well IT IS! The water (ocean not the rias- I didn't swim in the rias so I don't know) is artic cold- so once you're used to it, its fine- but I'm not, and the water is like having little needles prick at you- not bad once you get over the shock- but not something I'd recommend diving head first into!

Now on the other hand- my mom's friend who is from there, doesn't have any problem getting into the water and swimming around! I couldn't do it! :p

#53857 - 07/20/03 07:44 AM Re: Spanish weddings
marisa4444 Offline

Loc: nyc
Hi everyone...I was just in Huesca for a day trip yesterday, and in la Catedral de Huesca, there were weddings after weddings after weddings. We saw the bride & groom comming out, with all their family and friends, and MOST of the women were wearing either red, white, or black dresses. Only the older women (70/80s) were wearing skirts, but ALL the women (younger, older, wearing dresses or skirts) had some sort of shawl to cover their shoulders, and they were ALL in either black or white. Maybe this is because black and white are really popular this summer, but I found it really strange that most of you had said that white, black and especially red were not appropriate... confused

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2431 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments