MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#53713 - 03/15/03 11:31 PM Re: the Basque language
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Well I'll be...if I've ever been misinterpreted to have said that Spanish should be done away with and replaced with Basque let me be the first to put that one to rest.

Fernando, if you would take a minute and think about your intentions, you'll see that they're based on an obviously different-than-yours opinion that I voiced over two years ago. You've clearly misinterpreted my leanings on ETA, the Basques and where they stand as part of the Spanish whole today. I'm sorry about that.

MadridMan has set up this board for the interchange of Spain-related information [Thanks, MM], and I for one think that personal agendas would be best-served, if folks really feel the need, via e-mail. Although I haven't necessarily adhered to this in the past, I plan to from here on out. You have my address, and I will do two things:

A) Apologize for any past personal attacks, and B) check my e-mail, not this thread, for any further comments should you care to contact me.

Now, let's get back to the info-sharing! smile

P.S. Kumbaya... rolleyes

#53714 - 03/16/03 12:48 AM Re: the Basque language
el viajero Offline

Co-official status for the regional languages would not destroy Spain's ability to function as a country.

Switzerland could serve as a role model. That country's recognition of three official languages didn't destroy its people's sense of unified "Swissness" (not to be confused with "Swiss Miss," of course). smile

#53715 - 03/16/03 08:58 AM Re: the Basque language
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
What of I have said fits on a personal agenda? Only my answer to your jokes... the rest is part of this same topic discussion Cali...

As for the swiss model el Viajero, yes! but that same model is already in appliance, and nobody in Spain question it.

Galaecian is co-official in Galaecia, basque in the Basque Country, catalonian in Catalonia, valencian in Valencia, mallorquin in Mallorca Island, aranese in Aran Valley. And spanish in all Spain as the main official language.

What I do criticise are the attemps to impose one language over another. This time regional languages over spanish. With laws that prohibit to put shop ads in spanish, when official documents are only in catalonian, where you can't send your kids to a all spanish school without being accuse of fascist (but can do it with a all basque model of education),...

Think about it. Put that you live in New York and that you are studying medicine. Now that you want to go to San Francisco to continue there your studies, and that in San Francisco you have no other chance but to learn another language to go to the university, because California's government force by law that only that language is used in the universities... is that rational?

No, it is simply a way, not to promote a language (which we all have agreed with), but to enforce people to change their habits and speak a given language. That is what is happening in Catalonia and the Basque Country.

I met a boy in secondary school. He was basque, all his family was basque, as well as his ancestors. His family had to move to Madrid because the boy wasn't able to learn basque, and had already lost two years beacuase of it.

That has no sense for me...

Fernando

#53716 - 03/16/03 11:46 AM Re: the Basque language
el viajero Offline

Hi, Fernando --

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that Spain has given the regional languages co-official status. I'm surprised (or am I?) that some people have tried to eliminate Castilian signage and documentation in the regions. Is that a widespread attitude? Does it coincide more or less with people who want independence from Spain for their regions?

#53717 - 03/16/03 02:38 PM Re: the Basque language
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
It concides with the Basque and Catalans in general now in the Basque country and some what in Catalonia Francos regime never trully died they see the new democratic goverment as Francos regime the reason why is because they want to dream about having an independent state when trully they all ready have an independent state. Its up to the Spanish goverment when to put down the hammer and remind the Basque Catalans etc. that they are still part of Spain.

#53718 - 03/16/03 06:21 PM Re: the Basque language
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Quintos,

Quote:
As if it hasnt al ready gone thanks to the Basque nationalist bastards.
Quote:
Its up to the Spanish goverment when to put down the hammer and remind the Basque Catalans etc. that they are still part of Spain.
Maybe with a little more compasion and respect things would be better in this world.

Fernando,
I agree with you, every region should have co-official languages in some degree of equality, but not have one superior to another. Due to a lack of demand they have eleminated full Spanish education from some schools. Even though there isn´t much demand for classes in Basque at the University level, the public university still offers them. All forms should be in multiple languages. Also, should they start putting the forms in english too? It seems to becoming the main language of the EU.

#53719 - 03/17/03 02:18 PM Re: the Basque language
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Quote:
Hi, Fernando --

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that Spain has given the regional languages co-official status. I'm surprised (or am I?) that some people have tried to eliminate Castilian signage and documentation in the regions. Is that a widespread attitude? Does it coincide more or less with people who want independence from Spain for their regions?
You are welcome El Viajero smile I have done a little research for you.

Artículo 3 de la Constitución española de 1978 (Art. 3 of the Spanish Constitution of 1978):

Castilian and the other spanish languages

1. Castilian is the official language of the State. Every spaniard has the obligation and the right to use it.

2. The rest of the spanish language will be also official in their own Autonomous Communities (as we call our "Federal States") in accordance to their Statutes.

3. The richness of the diverse languistic modalities of Spain is a cultural patrimony that will be object of special respect and protection.

So, as you see, our Constitution of 1978 recognizes the other spanish languages as co-official with spanish. Remember that our democratic history began in 1978 with the aprovance of that Constitution by the majority of spaniash citizens.

As for eliminate spanish from official documents it is something being done (as far as I know) only in Catalonia. For me it is a sign of intolerance and an imposition, and borders inconstitutionality as you see. This attitude coincides obviously with those parties who seek even independence from Spain, or a quasi-independence.

Roe:
Quote:
Due to a lack of demand they have eleminated full Spanish education from some schools. Even though there isn´t much demand for classes in Basque at the University level, the public university still offers them.
I think that the lack of demand (in a society which speaks, and spoke in a great majority only spanish) of the full Spanish education has something to do with the fact that those who chose that modality were pointed despreciative as "spaniards", and also with the fact that the basque government did every possible effort to eliminate that modality in favour of the other three. As I have said before, I'm for the teaching of basque, but not by imposition or coarsion.

At University level you are right that the education is almost fully in spanish.

Quote:
All forms should be in multiple languages. Also, should they start putting the forms in english too? It seems to becoming the main language of the EU.
My opinion is that forms should be in the official languages (spanish and the other co-official languages in their own regions), or at least in spanish, but never only in the co-official language. For me it has no sense to put them in english, no matter that it is the main language of the EU. Only 20% of spaniards understand english, and it obviuously is not an official in our country.

Fernando

#53720 - 03/19/03 09:43 PM Re: the Basque language
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
You've reinforced what I've noticed on my trips to Spain: That the linguistic Fascists seem to be more densely concentrated in Cataluña, not Euskadi.

This thought bears mentioning again: In my studies of Basque history, it seems that we're most content when simply allowed to let our language and culture thrive, even if it is subject to another culture, or, as it is at present, if it thrives alongside another.

My experiences in Cataluña would lead me to believe that the first sight of daylight and the Catalanes will eliminate castellano once and for all. (Of course this is just my own opinion, and only based on observation, not necessarily on facts... smile )

Co-official works for me. Now, if we could just remind most Americans that there is no official co- status granted to any language in this country. We might save a few $$$ in printing of government forms in 5000 languages on the off-chance someone from Turkmenistan needs to open a P.O. box down at the post office. rolleyes ...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments