MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#53633 - 01/16/03 06:38 PM Re: Restaurant service in Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
MM, if I have to wait 15 minutes for the bill I would stand up and go to the registering machine and ask for it, first politely, then rudely smile

Always keep in mind that in Spain you leave tip according on how satisfied you are with the service. I have sometimes left nothing, and other times left 10% or more (keep in mind that usually 10% is excessive in Spain).

Waiters usually have quite a good wages, the tip is something directly related to the clients satisfaction. An average tip (it means you are satisfied with the service) would be 5%.

Fernando

#53634 - 01/21/03 01:37 PM Re: Restaurant service in Spain
Tex-Mex Offline

Loc: USA
Well, after listening to all these comments and experiences while dining in Spain, I guess my conclusion is that Spain is a bit diferent from restaurant service here in the US. I personally do enjoy to be left alone, but I expect the waiter to check every now and then back to the table. He does not even have to say a word, just take a glance at my table and see if I need anything by looking at my facial expression.
This of course does not change my perception of Spain as a whole in any way, shape or form. Spain is and will continue to be one of my favorite destinations.

#53635 - 01/24/03 07:00 PM Re: Restaurant service in Spain
wilnogirl Offline

As a Canadian innkeeper and restauranteur, I definitely noticed a difference in the service in Spain (and also in other European countries). The overly familiar and annoyingly frequent interactions with North American waitstaff is not part of a meal in a Spanish restaurant and personally I love it. When I have dinner in a restaurant (or serve dinner in our own inn) I want unobtrusive interaction and I do not mind if someone has to ask for something...rather than being pestered every two seconds.....actually if you want to see waiters with panache, visit France where some of them have a most delightfully theatrical way of serving tables and are also most efficient.....eating out in Spain was a highlight of our trip...(we now serve tapas in our own bar)

#53636 - 01/29/03 12:01 PM Re: Restaurant service in Spain
lamar Offline

Loc: hillside, il usa
Hi all,
I want to clarify to everyone that bad service is bad service in Spain, the US and the rest of the world. (I wrote a similar post on rudeness in another thread.)
Generally, restaurant service in Spain is professional, courteous, unobtrusive and definitely less effusive than in the USA. However, under NO circumstances should they ever be rude or ignore a customer. A native Spaniard would NOT put up with that sort of treatment, I can assure you smile of that!! So please, don't think that bad service is typical service to a Spaniard because it just is not true!!
Also, please NEVER scream across a restaurant to get the waiter's attention, you will definitely be looked at with disdain and stick out like a sore thumb. Save the shouting for bars, mesones, etc.
so tex-mex, if you felt that your service wasn't up to par, than you were probably right. No excuses needed for poor service.

#53637 - 01/29/03 04:30 PM Re: Restaurant service in Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I think part of the problem is that we Americans have forgotten (or never learned) the subtle body language that used to be commonplace in restaurants even here in the US. When you wanted your check, you caught the waitperson's eye, perhaps waved a finger unobtrusively...and the check appeared without delay. If you needed a drink refill, you again caught the server's eye, gestured to your glass, and a drink was delivered!

Many waitstaff here in the US have also forgotten (or never learned) how to check in with the people at their tables WITHOUT speaking ("how's everything? "need anything else?" "everything okay here?"). When I learned to wait tables (over 15 years ago), we were taught to observe...not to ask. If the glass was getting empty, we filled it...without saying anything. If a plate needed clearing, we managed to do it without interrupting conversations.

Regardless, as has been pointed out above, poor service is poor service in any language/place. Good service in Spain may simply be less obvious to Americans who have become accustomed to chatty waitstaff. Many American servers seem to have the attitude that they will get better tips if they stick to the Bart Simpson plan..."HEY!!! Look at me!!! I'm DOING STUFF!!!" Invisible service, while it's lovely for people who want to have a nice conversation over dinner, may not get noticed and tipped!

#53638 - 02/01/03 09:58 AM Re: Restaurant service in Spain
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
Lamar is right on target.

Unless you are brain-dead, you know when the wait-person, no matter where you are in the world, is providing service to you.....or not.

Let's face it, some people are better at their job than others. I have had good restaurant service and bad in Spain. Just like in the U.S., and France, and Italy. Probably the best I have ever experienced...a generaliztion, of course, was in Rio de Janeiro. And if you want the wait-persons attention there, you just go..."pssst psst". A great system!

Happy tapas!

Lee

#53639 - 02/03/03 04:07 PM Re: Restaurant service in Spain
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
And to get "la cuenta," my husband just makes a little scribbling motion on his hand while it's raised high enough for the waiter to see. We'll have none of that shouting for the waiter!!

It seems to be true, however, that at a bar where tapas are being served, it is often necessary to be obtrusive, aggressive, whatever it takes to be acknowledged. Then, over the din, you must make yourself heard or attempt to point at what you want!!--CC

#53640 - 02/03/03 07:58 PM Re: Restaurant service in Spain
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Carole, you are right about the ambiance being the key to how to contact the wait staff. At a Bar or Taverna being informal is the norm, it is part of the fun. It is almost a ritual and expected, particularly after midnight, when every table is filled and the noise level is high. You have little choice but to raise your voice and ask for a cañita y bocadillo! :p

In regards to restaurants, I must have been super lucky because I encountered just the opposite of what Tex-Mex and others encountered. Maybe it was the restaurants I went, or, the time of year I visited, in December.

In one restaurant in Madrid called, Tres Encinas, near the Puerta del Sol, my son and I each had a person waiting on us, in addition to the persons that were actually bringing us our food, a total of four persons for just two people! My goodness! laugh The dinner was the best I have yet to have. All delicious seafood and expensive. But they all made our visit so enjoyable. I gave them a generous tip, even though one of the waiters said that it was included! I explained that this was a special dinner with my son, and it meant a great deal to us to be treated to nicely and generously, while we were dressed so informally for a night in Madrid. everyone around us were dressed in furs, tuxedos, etc. Yes, that kind of place! cool

The same treatment was repeated in Segovia, we had a similar encounter at Candidos. A very nice gentleman served us and was very attentive throughout, without being obsequious.

All in all a wonderful restaurant experience for me! smile

#53641 - 02/18/03 12:09 PM Re: Restaurant service in Spain
plumepoppy Offline

Loc: canada
This thread has been fascinating to read. I lived in Montréal for over 20 years before leaving Québec, and was used to being left alone in a restaurant to enjoy my meal with friends and family. After I moved, I found it very hard to get used to restaurants where staff came to interrupt to inquire on the quality of the meal. I also found it very irritating to have staff remove my plate seconds after I had finished a course. I felt it meant I was being asked to 'move on'. So, as you can see, one person's idea of 'politeness' can be quite different to someone else. But hey, vive la différence! Plume

#53642 - 05/09/03 01:09 PM Re: Restaurant service in Spain
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Waitstaff? Wait-person? Server? Whatever happened to plain old Waiter or Waitress?! Im a metro bus driver, and I don't mind being called a bus driver, Im not a vehicle engineer!!! Political correctness has struck again! AAAGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1734 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments