Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#53507 - 11/25/02 07:19 PM American misconceptions and biasm on Spanish history
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
I am surprised by the misconceptions of Americans on Spanish history other then "Madrid mans history of Madrid" the most obvious example of this is Americans conception of Cortez I some times feel like standing up and correcting my History teacher becaue of his idiotic remarks. My dad has read many books about Hernando Cortez and they are purely realistic my hisory teacher said Cortez was an ignorant man and that he was stupid this is not true Cortez is probably the most intilegent warrior/general in History he defeated an entire Empire with 200 mean and it was not easy although the Americans usually say it is. It actually took Hernando about three months to defeat the Aztecs and they were once almost completely destroyed by the Aztecs. Even though they had guns it was still amazing that they defeated the Aztecs its a fact that the Spaniards would not have been able to do this without the help of there Native American allies Cortez was an Intiligent man not a mindless murderer but at the same time he was not a saint and did do alot of bad but at the same time they aren't called conquistadores for nothing. Lets face it Spain was alot less vicious towards the Native American population then the American the Spaniards did not destroy the native population they actually inter married with them un like the Americans that basically killed all the Native Americans and gave land that is basically worth less. I believe Americans emphasize Spanish mistreatment of native populations so they can cover up some of there evil deeds. If an American asked me to show the proof that the Spaniards were "nicer" on the Indian population I would tell him to go to Mexico and notice that the people down there obviously are of partial Native American ancestry Americans must stop continualy emphasasing the negativity of the Spanish empire and perhaps start talking about some of the benefits.

#53508 - 11/25/02 07:21 PM Re: American misconceptions and biasm on Spanish history
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
thanks for the advice madridman

#53509 - 11/25/02 07:32 PM Re: American misconceptions and biasm on Spanish history
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quintos233, you can edit your messages by clicking the pencil/paper icon and editing the text. There you go! smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments