Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#53488 - 11/26/02 04:16 AM Re: What do you like the most about Spain?
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Quote:
As a Spaniard, I am very much interested in knowing what you like the most from Spain.
carmendeespana

The first time I was in Spain some Spanish friends and I were sitting by the beach in the north, sipping our coffee, when we found ourselves amused with the animated men arguing with each other next to us. Immediately, one in our party leaned in and told me the Spanish would even argue about when the damn bus was coming. We all laughed, sipped more of our coffee, and headed home.

I mention this anecdote because I think it speaks volumes about Spanish culture. To me, an American, my many times in Spain have made me realize how much I respect the Spanish zest for life. It can be one AM in the morning and you'll still find older couples out walking in the streets, mothers with their babies, and teens out to party. This spirit of community is intoxicating, and something I think any Spaniard should be proud of.

Recently when I was in Madrid, and expected this sense of community to be less visible, I was reminded of the Spanish culture I found while in the north. Although less visible, Madrid still provided the same richness. It reminded me, again, why I choose to vacation and visit friends in España.

#53489 - 11/27/02 12:55 AM Re: What do you like the most about Spain?
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
here are some things I love about Spain
1. the food
2. the music
3. the people
4. the terrain and texture of the land
5. the smell
6.the forests
7. the rivers
8. the mediterenean
9. the tress
10. the enviroment
11. the homes
12. buildings
13. the Spanish flag
14. the wine
15. my family
16. the boats
17. the islands
18. the cars
19. the parks
20. the TV heeheee
21. the hot girls
and the two things i dont like
1. the amount of smoking and the terriosm every thing else I love

#53490 - 11/27/02 06:24 AM Re: What do you like the most about Spain?
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
Wow!!! What can I say? Thanks to all who have answered for your responses. I am overwhelmed.

#53491 - 11/27/02 07:03 AM Re: What do you like the most about Spain?
Chrissiij Offline

Loc: London, UK
ooooo, I like this thread! There are a couple of things I like about spain. Firsly, I have to say the healthy diet. And the FOOD??? mmmm, where do I start, tortilla, patatas alioli, paella....it's all good, as far as I'm concerened, and because of all the oil used, my excema almost completely cleared up.
The second thing is the countryside. I went to El Escorial for the day, and although it was blinkin cold eek , the air was so fresh and a pleasure to breathe.mmmmmmmmm........
oh, and the language is lovely to speak too. ALthough I only speak a little, everyone was really helpful and encouraged me without making me feel silly!

#53492 - 11/27/02 06:35 PM Re: What do you like the most about Spain?
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
Well for me, coming from Scotland, the thought of waking up every day to sunshine and blue skies was a big incentive to visit Spain. Then, I picked up a phrase book and set about trying to learn the language. Every time I visit Spain I learn a little bit more about the country and its history and its people. I love the way Spanish cities are still human places, the food, the nightlife, the weather, patatas bravas, Pan BIMBO and how varied the landscape is from Galicia to Andalucia.
I suppose it's all so different from everything I've ever known but it's also accessible and if you're an adaptable type, you can fit in pretty well.

#53493 - 12/03/02 10:42 AM Re: What do you like the most about Spain?
Dahshi Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
How can anyone forget the big black bull billboards along the highways!!! Those things looked kind of trippy when I took a road trip through the country last year!

#53494 - 12/09/02 01:03 AM Re: What do you like the most about Spain?
Melinda328 Offline

Loc: Madrid
I love the people of Spain. I love my two wonderful friends in Galicia, Vero and Leo, and the way they have a moment for me when people who live 15 minutes away don't. I love the bars along the beaches of Nigran and Baiona, I love spending hours going between the cafes in Santiago. I love the way the ocean curls up to the mountains along the Galician coast and rolls back out in a stunning array of blue and green that doesn't happen on my side of the Atlantic.

I love the beauty of Barcelona and the feeling that I'm in an enchanted city as I walk through the narrow streets and come upon an antique building with a pastel roof. I can't describe the feeling of being on top of the world as I look down from Tibidabo and see a view of Catalunya that catches my breath in my throat.

I love Sevilla and treasure every memory I have of sitting in La Plaza de Espana reading Cernuda and feeding the ducks during la comida. I love walking through the callecitas and getting lost for hours and not being the slightest bit afraid.

I love Ronda and the breathtaking bridges that seem to have no end to their depth. Just sitting along a path reading or writing... feeling nothing but peace because really, what else do you need?

God... there are so many things... I miss the flamenco, I miss walking in at 8 AM and being asked if I slept well when really I was just coming in from La Feria de Abril... I miss walking down the street at 3 AM with my friends singing "Mi Musica Es Tu Voz" and having strangers on the street join in... I miss the food, the atmosphere, the feeling of family, the values families hold, the pride, the sense of community, the love of nature, the respect of the past and ones home.... I miss my wonderful friends in Sevilla, Madrid, Santiago, Vigo, Nigran, Lloret de Mar, Barcelona, Santander, San Vicente de la Barquera... I love Castillian Spanish and my ears perk up when I hear it. I love Gallego and Catalan and picking up words as I listen to it spoken on the street. I love the feeling that every day I'm learning something, be it a new language like Gallego or just a new word in Spanish.

For me Spain is an experience I can't really describe or put into coherent words. It's a series of images of beauty and culture that I've arranged in my mind. I can't choose one thing I love most. I love it all.

Oh my god I cannot wait until the 19th... I have to get back now!!!

Melinda

#53495 - 12/10/02 03:13 PM Re: What do you like the most about Spain?
Tadd45 Offline

Loc: Boston Ma. USA.
What I enjoy is laying on the beaches of the Costa Del Sol, while enjoying a nice pitcher of Sangria.. I love the nightlife that Spain Offers, and the woman are so beautiful.. My best Vacation has been to Spain, and I have been all over Europe, def plan to visit Marbella again very soon...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1945 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments