Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#53391 - 11/19/02 01:06 PM Re: SPANISH WOMEN
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
What do you exactly mean with lack of action?

#53392 - 11/19/02 01:12 PM Re: SPANISH WOMEN
Espe3 Offline

I'm with Taravb! If you're trying to meet Spanish women with the I'm going to go get 'em attuitude, Chances are that you're scaring them away because they thing you're a 'salido'. This can be appealing to some women, but for the most part, in Spain, and to most women, with any class anyway, will see it as a major turn off. And then it won't matter how funny or good looking you are, it'll get you a bit of small talk and then they'll rejoin their friends.

Also, a big way to influence how/who you meet is where you're trying to meet them. Most of my friends and family meet people through other friends, work, etc. Although yes, you can meet someone in a bar, in Spain, you go out with a group of friends and you return home that way. Its not common to meet someone and then take off with them! Its actually very strange, and rude! I remember going to a club with some friends and these 2 marines trying to pick my friend and I up when we went to get drinks. Nice looking guys- but it was pretty obvious that they were on the hunt, we chit-chatted with them a bit and took off to re-join our friends.

Another big barrier- because of past generations, and how for the most part the americans (students, young military) are so loud and boisterous are and thinking that any girl in Spain is lucky to be with an american, or that you're doing us a favor. Even if this may not be true of you and your friends, this often times is the perception. Well, Spain is NOT a 3rd world country, we DO have freedom, and don't need to marry an American just to leave our country or to have a better life. These are some of the cultural misconceptions (from both sides) you're having to deal with- fair or not!

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead... as I've been on both sides.. in America, the guys here think ooo She's Spanish, exotic, passionate etc. (BLAH!) and over there its oooo She's American, she's easy! (like on melrose!) Hello! I think NOT! As MM said, with all the guys going to find easy women- well yes, you've got those everywhere. But for some reason, there's an expectation when people travel away from home, that wherever they're going to, its easy to 'get some'. I think this comes from marketing from tourism, go on vacation, get away, meet that exotic beautiful/handsome stranger that will be everything you dreamed of. I've met french men going to spain, and expect the women will be easy and get disappointed... like the italians chasing after friends of mine when they went to Italy for vacation and spanish women were supposed to be easy... its always about that foreign appeal. But again, not reality.

Matador, like you've said, a lot of it is to do with culture. Even if you're not looking for marriage, if you want to find a cool girl to hang out with, I suggest taking your time, get to know them and the culture we come from and see where it goes. You'll catch a lot more bees with honey that way! smile

#53393 - 11/19/02 01:16 PM Re: SPANISH WOMEN
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Well, what do you think? You know what happens when it's all talk, talk, talk....
....(and watch "it" on TV and movies, see "stuff" everywhere, etc.)

Por favor Carmencita, no me tires más de la lengua wink , he, he, he! eek laugh rolleyes

#53394 - 11/19/02 01:23 PM Re: SPANISH WOMEN
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hey, your funny. laugh :p

But isn´t the name carmencita a brand for saffron? wink

#53395 - 11/19/02 02:09 PM Re: SPANISH WOMEN
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Some fantastic information in this link for the American type guy who journeys to Spain.

As my wife and I read through the statements, one thing seemed missing. Just being kind to American males I guess. In America, males are very possessive. Instead of just enjoying being with a lady, we have this thing about needing to "own her." That seems to come out in words like, "going steady," or "long engagements." I don't know if it's a fault or not. When the circumstances are right, I suppose it's okay, but it's not something we should be overly proud of. I think that's where we get the impression that Spanish women are "liberated." We fail to define the difference between the term as it's applied to Spanish women, who refuse to be pulled around on a leash, and trying to impose our will that it means "easy." A big difference.

I've believed, for most of my life, that there's no such thing as an unattractive woman. I marvel at the way they have put up with our male egos, and our inability to comprehend the simple arts of making conversation with them, and our overbearing attitudes - thinking it impresses them.

I've also learned, after 38 years of marriage, that the more I think I understand my wife, the less I truly understand, because every day the ground rules change, and I never get a copy of them so I can stay caught up. rolleyes

Keep it up ladies. There's nothing more exciting than wondering what's going to happen tomorrow. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Wolf (Who believes there's magic in a woman's smile. After all, has anyone ever seen a baby that didn't smile back?)

#53396 - 11/19/02 02:48 PM Re: SPANISH WOMEN
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
sorry pim.

#53397 - 11/19/02 02:55 PM Re: SPANISH WOMEN
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Not to change the topic rolleyes , but lets flip this around....I will be studying in Granada next semester. Any advice for an american girl on meeting a nice spanish guy? smile

#53398 - 11/19/02 02:57 PM Re: SPANISH WOMEN
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
hey how about me. I think spanish girls are extremely hot too! Thanks MM you answered my question very well. Have you ever thought of staring an advice column? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.just kidding.

#53399 - 11/19/02 03:36 PM Re: SPANISH WOMEN
Espe3 Offline

Kelar,
I you'll have it MUCH easier! But be careful, because like I said, my spanish counter parts, often thinking that because I am 'american' (I am, but only half)I was easy. So when I was younger I was really careful as it was often hard to tell if a guy was interested in me because of me, or because I was American and he thought I was easy! frown And even being well behaved, wherever I went, there were always rumors, even started by the marujas of the villages! mad
(FYI-Maruja is a term used to call gossiping housewives- its not really mean, but its no compliment either! As ususally they are the source and life of the rumor mill!)

#53400 - 11/19/02 06:34 PM Re: SPANISH WOMEN
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Im 16 yr old spaniard in America do u have to be a drunk marijuana smoking punk to get girls here because it kinda seems that way??

ps Espe im mixed American Spanish too.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2768 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments