Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#53323 - 10/25/02 08:08 PM Where to see real Spain
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Alot of tourist from the US,Uk etc go Barcelona or some resort town by the beach and say that have experienced Spain if you want to experience true Spain you should go to the small pueblos through out the country to see what Spain is truely about Barcelona is great for the tourist apetite for warm weather and Catalen culture but true Spain lise else were.

excuse my spelling

#53324 - 10/25/02 09:28 PM Re: Where to see real Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Good question. I think a lot of people would suggest that there is no "real Spain" in Spain, but many many different Spains within its borders.

An argument can be made for central Spain, including Madrid, which contains a "nice" conglomeration of transplants from most regions of Spain - many people flock to the cities and/or capitals. But is this "real Spain"? Is "real Spain" a conglomeration? I'd say no. I'd say that Spain is a patchwork/puzzle of beautiful, culturally-independent, and incredibly inspirational regions which could very easily stand alone as their own country - their own wonderful country.

Galicia is very different from Andalucía. Extremadura is very different from Asturias. Cataluña is very different from Castilla. And on and on. THAT'S why, I suspect - in part, they say "Spain Is Different!" Because it's not only VERY different from other countries but also because its own differences WITHIN it's borders.

Maybe some have other opinions about what "real Spain" is but this is mine. Besides, isn't it true, addressing those whom know Spain, that "real Spain" is in the heart and not necessarily a place you'd find on a map?

Real Spain, to me, is in my dreams, in my senses, in my loved ones there, in the traffic and long-lonesome highways, in the planes, mountains, and coastlines, in the tiny villages, bustling cities, and 300 year old buldings in which people still live. It's the old traditions and the close families. It's the sheep herders, castles, and the same holidays celebrated for hundreds of years. It's the old world and the new world at the same time. It's the life, the passion, and the dreams of Spaniards themselves.

Real Spain to me is anywhere IN Spain. I hope to call it home someday during my days on this earth. Or.... maybe the days afterwards where, to me, Spain is heaven.

(put a couple of beers in me and I get all Spain-sappy)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#53325 - 10/26/02 10:16 AM Re: Where to see real Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Quintos233,

To a certain extent I do agree with that comment. The Spain you experience in the pueblos is a very different one from what you experience in the cities. MM is also right on when he says that each area of Spain is so different from the rest that each city is has unique characteristics as do the pueblos.

Guess what I'm saying is that spending as much time as possible in both the cities and pueblos throughout the country is the best way to discover and love Spain.

#53326 - 10/26/02 10:45 AM Re: Where to see real Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I couldn't have explained it better MM. I agree 100%. smile

The richness of Spain is its diversity, the conglomarate of cultures, languages, way of being and behaving. Barcelona is not a touristy city, it is just a city which has things that are unique in Spain. To experience the real Spain you should do as Puna and MM have explained: travel a lot, go from small villages to big cities, from coast touristy towns to the sierras' ones. Travel north to south and west to east and watch, taste, drink and feel.

Fernando

#53327 - 10/26/02 01:38 PM Re: Where to see real Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Fernando,
Your love for country is showing! laugh

#53328 - 10/26/02 03:23 PM Re: Where to see real Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

rolleyes

#53329 - 10/26/02 04:46 PM Re: Where to see real Spain
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
I proabably souldn't have referred to pueblos as "real Spain" but more one great aspect of Spain. Which often is missed out on if people just want to take a dip in the sea.

#53330 - 10/26/02 10:20 PM Re: Where to see real Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Quintos: As a conclusion to my trips around the world (that sounds good, though I have only visited England, Ireland, Andorra, Austria and USA :p ) I can say that the best way to really really get to know a country is to have a local as a guide who is willing to show it to you.

Fernando

#53331 - 10/28/02 11:33 AM Re: Where to see real Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Fernando,
Does that mean you are opening a new business in your off-hours as a tour guide? Promise it would be a lucrative (euro producing)endeavor if you included dance lessons. wink

#53332 - 10/28/02 11:44 AM Re: Where to see real Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Hahahaha! laugh I guess I should found a tour company after that wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1491 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments