Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#53185 - 10/20/02 07:56 AM Re: Basta ya!!!
Roe Offline

Loc: california
I´ve started to hear the term "ethnic-cleansing" a lot when talking about the situation in the Basque Country and it is bothering me. I know Bosnians that had to leave Bosnia because of what was happening there. What is happening here is not "ethnic-cleansing" like what happened in Bosnia. If you determine someone´s ethnicity by their ideological views, it wouldn´t seem that you could call it ethnic cleansing exactly. It could be considered "ideological-cleansing" if you consider it that way.

#53186 - 10/20/02 08:45 AM Re: Basta ya!!!
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Roe,

You're absolutely right, and that's what's so absurd about it, there are no different races or ethnicities in this issue at all!, but tell that to Arzalluz and some other nationalists that do believe the contrary!
(and remember a recent thread....)

#53187 - 10/20/02 12:55 PM Re: Basta ya!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Talking about ethnic-cleansing is quite exagerated if it is not explained as Roes has. Ideological-cleansing is a more accurate term, which is almost as strong as the first.

When someone has to have bodyguards just for stating that he feels spanish and that he thinks that the Basque Country is a part of Spain, and when some parties try to take advantage of such situation to pursue their political goals we have a pseudo-democracy. Everybody has to be free (without the menacing of being killed, kidnapped,...) to have a true democracy.

Basques are exhausted. Some College professors can't go to classes or have to get out of their homes and go to a US university. The menace extends to anything ETA considers disturbing for their goals: councilmen of small villages, journalists, policemen, judges, philosophers, writters, sculptors, militars, senators, businessmen,... and their families.

What a pitty frown

Fernando

#53188 - 10/21/02 04:12 PM Re: Basta ya!!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
According to the various news sources I've looked at, it seems that Basta ya!!! was a huge success -over 100,000 turned out and the march was relatively unmarked by ETA violence. Has there been follow-up as to the 'success' of the demonstration in that it seemed to represent an overwhelming majority of people living in the Basque area.

Did I phrase that "politically correctly??????"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1787 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments