Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#53175 - 10/19/02 09:35 AM Basta ya!!!
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
I just learned that a Basque based anti-terrorism organization called 'Basta ya'(Enough) along with some other smaller ones are holding a demonstration today. Basically, all Basques that are tired of being told what THEY want, or feel forced by the nationalists to ask for independence from Spain, in other words, want to be FREE, are being called to participate.

I for one, can't wait to know how many people will turn out.

#53176 - 10/19/02 10:23 AM Re: Basta ya!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This demonstration is country-wide or only in Madrid??

Website of the organization: http://www.bastaya.org/

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#53177 - 10/19/02 10:37 AM Re: Basta ya!!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
pim,
Interesting website - it appears that the organization is very well known and extremely well respected for it's approach nd handling of a tough subject. Please keep us posted on the events today.

#53178 - 10/19/02 12:38 PM Re: Basta ya!!!
Espe3 Offline

good for them! smile
At least a step ahead is a step in the right direction!

#53179 - 10/19/02 01:11 PM Re: Basta ya!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Actually it has happened in San Sebastián (Basque Country), where the basques who had to emigrate to other parts of Spain due to the intimidation ambience were called to make a public protest against the pro-independence statement of the basque president.

The lema for the riot has been: "Por la Constitución y el Estatuto. No al nacionalismo obligatorio." (For the Constitution and the Estatuto. No to the obligatory nationalism.)

Estatuto makes reference to the "Estatuto de Gernica", the established laws which guarantee the Basque Country its full autonomy and its basic laws. It has been critizised by the nationalists because, though they aproved it in 1978, it states that the Basque Country is an autonomy, and not an independent country.

The newspapers are saying that "thousands or persons went to San Sebastian". I hope lots of thousands...

Fernando

#53180 - 10/19/02 01:32 PM Re: Basta ya!!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
us too!

#53181 - 10/19/02 01:36 PM Re: Basta ya!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

smile First estimations say that the riots count 150,000 persons.

#53182 - 10/19/02 07:44 PM Re: Basta ya!!!
el viajero Offline

Quote:
First estimations say that the riots count 150,000 persons.
An impressive turnout, though I hope it was more of a demonstration (manifestación) than a riot (disturbio o levantamiento violento)! A 150,000-person riot would be terrifying.

#53183 - 10/19/02 11:47 PM Re: Basta ya!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Hahaha! You are right wink It was a demonstration and not a riot obviously. Excuse my poor english, it is not the first time I make a big mistake when choosing the correct word :p

Now the estimations says that there were over 100,000 persons, though they don't give a more concrete number.

Fernando

#53184 - 10/20/02 05:29 AM Re: Basta ya!!!
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
I still hear the 150,000 number. And yes, it was quite the contrary of a riot, people seemed actually to be in a "very good mood", and many carried huge multi-colored balloons that said ¡BASTA YA!
Some were Basques (college professors, ex-local politicians, entrepreneurs, etc....) that as Fernando said, don't live in the Basque land anymore, because as they explained; they did not think that having to share their lives with up to 4 bodyguards! 24hrs. a day (even though they became their best friends after a while!), was any way to live free.
Wolf and Cali, how I wished you had seen what all this people were saying!!!, they warned everyone that an ethnic cleansing process is underway; because for the nationalists, every Basque that isn't nationalistic is not considered a real one; and on the other hand, any other person that goes to them and declares themself to be a nationalist instantly becomes 100% Basque, it doesn't make any sense!
This proud (and brave!) BASQUES were also stating many other things; and questioning why would they have to want and demand to become an independent nation (with the French Basque provinces, and Navarra), if that has never been the case, that territory was never a nation by itself, ever! And besides thanks to their special 'estatuto' and the Spanish Constitution with which they fully agree, they are the region, in the whole of Europe enjoying the most autonomy as it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1657 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments