Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#53158 - 10/15/02 02:12 PM 12th of Oct. National Day ?
Robb Offline

Loc: NYC
Hi eveybody,

I got picked to ask If anybody has more information on 12th of October part of it has to do with Columbus but not all of it ?! Casa Real only mentions the royal family going to an air show then a dinner with pic. The girls of Principe Felipe's website are stumped! :o
Robb cool

#53159 - 10/15/02 06:30 PM Re: 12th of Oct. National Day ?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Robb! Did you already read over the long " Feliz día de la Fiesta Nacional!!! " thread in this forum? You'll find it enlightening (if not frustrating rolleyes ), I'm sure, but if you have more specific questions, feel free to ask!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#53160 - 10/16/02 12:17 PM Re: 12th of Oct. National Day ?
Robb Offline

Hi Madridman,

Thanks sooo much for the info. I've been trying
to convince some of the Prince Felipeclub posters to come over to your site!It's great and chockfull
of information. Some of them do read and speak spanish but not all! smile smile smile smile
Robb

#53161 - 10/16/02 03:00 PM Re: 12th of Oct. National Day ?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
One more thing!....The 12th, el Día del Pilar, it's also the 'Guardia Civil''s Patron Saint day. (And my mum's, grandma's, aunts, etc.... rolleyes )

p

P.S.: on Saturday, the 'faldón' of the Virgin in Zaragoza was made up of over 12 million flowers! eek

#53162 - 10/18/02 10:31 AM Re: 12th of Oct. National Day ?
Robb Offline

Thank you Pim !
Do you know If the day was picked because King JC has a sister named Pilar ? And I'm not sure
about the goat in the parade is it someones' pet
or does it wind up as a meal ?
Robb confused

#53163 - 10/19/02 04:38 AM Re: 12th of Oct. National Day ?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Robb,

No, the name of the king's sister does not have anything to do with it! We don't have THAT KIND of king, you know? confused

The goat is the pet or mascot of a special group within the military, called the 'legionarios', sorry I'm no expert and I can't give you much info on them, I'm sure some of the guys in this board are much more knowledgeable if you want further details....

#53164 - 10/19/02 08:57 AM Re: 12th of Oct. National Day ?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I think that the day was chosen because it was the Hispanity day. In almost every lathynamerican country, and in the ex-colonies (as Equatorial Guinea) the day is celebrated as well.

As Paloma says the goat is the mascot of "La Legión" (it has been for decades) and every time the take part of a parade the goat goes with them.

Fernando

#53165 - 10/23/02 01:54 PM Re: 12th of Oct. National Day ?
Robb Offline

Thanks so much to Pim and Fernando!!!!!
I'm hoping make it to Madrid with some of the
other posters in the fall 2003. Any scrap of information is much appreciated :p smile smile
Robb

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments