Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#53117 - 10/12/02 07:42 AM Feliz día de la Fiesta Nacional!!!
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Yep! Today, October 1th. is our very own 4th of July(US), July 14th(France), or May 5th(Mexico)....Though many, many Spaniards don't know that! eek
This date was always commemorated as both the 'Dia de la Hispanidad', and the 'Día de la Virgen del Pilar', and many people are unaware that several years back, I'm sorry I can't remember exactly when, maybe a decade ago or so, (gee, how time flies!), it was also declared our National Holiday Day, since we didn't have any!

So now, as I write, I'm watching on the TV the 'legionarios' with their famous mascot, a goat, parading in front of the royal family, the members of the government, etc.... to the sound of '"Banderita tu eres roja, banderita tu eres gualda,...."'. Can't get much more Spanish than this!.... rolleyes
The weather is beautiful today, which is great, considering how miserable it has been all week!
(Let's hope there are no terrorist acts, that endanger thousands of people enjoying today's parade, this year, as did last year mad )

As for me, both my parents come from Zaragoza, the land of 'La Virgen del Pilar', so all my life I've spend this day there enjoying the festivities, (except when I was in the States), when I was a kid my sis and I dressed up with the traditional costume of 'baturras', inherited from our grandmother and great-grandmother and attended the 'ofrenda de flores', which is like a pilgrimage through the main streets of the city, everyone dressed as baturros, carrying bouquets of flowers to the plaza at the entrance of the 'Basílica del Pilar', where once there, they took our bouquets and with those hundreds of thousands of flowers shaped the Virgin's "outfit". There's also an 'ofrenda de frutos' and many other events taking place this day (usually a 'puente'(long-weekend), BTW), but I must say that, this tradition is immensely popular in Zaragoza, and I have great memories of it smile .

#53118 - 10/12/02 08:25 AM Re: Feliz día de la Fiesta Nacional!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I have been arised by the sound of the F-18s running over my home grrrr...

We are having a great weather today, I have my window widely opened and I have 21ºC in my room.

I have seen the parade, and what has annoyed me this time is how applauded the US marines, and the soldiers of the NATO (turkish, portuguese, british, french, german and italian) were. They were not that applauded the last year.

I also like very much the uniforms of the Melilla and Ceuta Regulars, which have a morish fashion.

The Pº de la Castellana was overcrowded by my fellow madrileños smile

Fernando

#53119 - 10/12/02 10:13 AM Re: Feliz día de la Fiesta Nacional!!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Feliz día de la Fiesta Nacional!!!to all!
pim - what wonderful memories - thans for sharing!

#53120 - 10/12/02 10:22 AM Re: Feliz día de la Fiesta Nacional!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I thank you both for your "Spanish Input" on this special day for many special reasons.

My ladyfriend just called me from Madrid and I spoke to her 70+ year old aunt who celebrates her virgin's "name day" today as well. My ladyfriend is inviting over many people and they'll all celebrate the name day with her but it was my impression that they were not celebrating the national holiday. In fact, it wasn't even mentioned in the one-hour conversation. Well.... that's to be expected wink . They aren't flag-waving kind of people.

Two years ago, in 2000, I went to the Día de la Hispanidad parade down the Castellana in Madrid with our own Antonio and I really enjoyed it. I could see the King and Aznar (I think) in the far distance on their "special" viewing platform in Plaza de Colón. The night before we had our "Party With MadridMan", after which I slept a few hours at Antonio's Hostal Chelo . I enjoyed the parade myself -- it was a real experience for me and I felt fortunate to be in Antonio's company who was telling me about the goings on.

So, FELIZ DIA DE LA HISPANIDAD and FELIZ DIA DE LA VIRGEN DEL PILAR, Spain!!!! smile My thoughts, memories, and dreams are with you!!

We here in the USA celebrate "Columbus Day" on Monday, October 14th and I have that day off!! (our office is closed)

Sadly in Columbus (called "Colón" in Spanish), Ohio and not Spain, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#53121 - 10/12/02 11:37 AM Re: Feliz día de la Fiesta Nacional!!!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Fernando,

Why were you annoyed that the U.S. & NATO soldiers were applauded? Would you care to enlighten us?

Wolf

#53122 - 10/12/02 01:02 PM Re: Feliz día de la Fiesta Nacional!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Simply because the last year (the first time forgein soldiers were in the parade) they were not applauded. This time it seems the people has been aware of their presence and have welcomed it.

I guess the last year they passed unnoticed for most of the public (but not the media).

Only the most apreciated units are applauded by the public of the parade (like the Legión and the Guardia Civil).

Fernando

#53123 - 10/12/02 01:47 PM Re: Feliz día de la Fiesta Nacional!!!
Wolf Offline

Fernando,

It's nice to hear that the troops from NATO & the US Marines were applauded. It tells me the ties between our great nations has never been stronger.

I believe that Spanish troops would be applauded as well, if they marched beside our troops, in the US, on the 4th of July. Had it not been for Spain's assistance, there's a chance the US would have never become a nation.

I wish I could have been there to see the parade. I would have been very proud to see our troops marching beside those of Spain.

Wolf

#53124 - 10/12/02 08:52 PM Re: Feliz día de la Fiesta Nacional!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

It is very curious how spaniards live this national day indeed (that is: like any other day with the exception of the parade and the typical aragonese festivals in honour of their virgin's day). smile

It is interesting to see how we understand the patriotism. Most of the people enjoy it (obviously not the 7% of nationalists of the peripheral regions), but do not have any public demonstration. You won't see any single spanish flag (apart from those of the official buildings) nor it is a matter of discussion.

Anyway, thanks to Puna, Madridman and Wolf for your comments wink It has been a beautiful day. I enjoyed the parade, and watching how the units were applauded. I really like to see the US marines applauded because the traditional irrational anti-americanism is retreating in favour of a more rational friendly attitude towards them, in spite of international behaviours. wink

Fernando

#53125 - 10/13/02 10:34 AM Re: Feliz día de la Fiesta Nacional!!!
Wolf Offline

Fernando,

Nothing seems to quite pass without you throwing out a barb against the U.S. or U.S. policy. I guess we just don't live in "The World according to Fernando." wink

Wolf (The "wink" makes it a joke, right Fernando? wink wink wink wink )

#53126 - 10/13/02 11:21 AM Re: Feliz día de la Fiesta Nacional!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Ain?

When have I said I'm against US policy or US itself? Just the contrary... I'm for the 80% of what US does internationally, and I have had discussions with my friends and family about it.

What I was saying is just that there was an historical anti-americanism between the majority of the spaniards, perhaps the reason was the aislationism of Spain decades ago. I didn't identify myself with it...

Fernando, the staunchly pro-american, no matter who dislikes it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments