Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5312 - 02/28/03 10:11 AM what streets in madrid are good/bad
alrightalex Offline

im looking for cheap lodgings, one or two stars, since all the youth hostels are out of the city. are there areas to avoid...known for being shady. i have so many addresses for hostales that are around 20euros.....but i dont know if those areas are safe. are there any streets that have lots of hostales that you can recomemend.....or any to avoid?
thanks

#5313 - 02/28/03 11:18 AM Re: what streets in madrid are good/bad
nevado Offline

There is a youth hostel in the city:

C/ Santa Cruz de Marcenado, 28
Tel.: 91 547 45 32
Fax: 91 548 11 96
28015 Madrid
Situado en el casco urbano de Madrid
(en el barrio de Argüelles)

http://www.comadrid.es/juventud/albergues_refugios/alber_principal.htm

#5314 - 02/28/03 03:53 PM Re: what streets in madrid are good/bad
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Maybe you could post the names of some of the places you're thinking about? That might help...

#5315 - 02/28/03 09:08 PM Re: what streets in madrid are good/bad
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Good suggestion by liz49. Please post the names of those places/streets you're considering and we'll do our best to help.

Huertas neighborhood is generally a pretty good/cool area. It's my favorite area for hostels (called "hotales" in Spain/Spanish).

There's a youth-hostel (called "albergue juvenil" in Spain/Spanish) in the Casa de Campo (park) but I understand THIS one is in a shady area - and I don't mean "shade" as "under the trees" either. wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5316 - 03/06/03 06:04 AM Re: what streets in madrid are good/bad
JamesC Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi there
In Madrid I would avoid the area of Malasana and Calle Fuencarral near Gran Via.
I was attacked there even though I know the city very well and I don't walk around like a stranger there.
As Madridman said, Huertas, Santa Ana is great.
Hope that helps you and I don't mean to put you off the city at all, you will love it.
have and nice time
JamesC

#5317 - 03/06/03 09:18 PM Re: what streets in madrid are good/bad
el viajero Offline

I'd be wary of wandering around the Lavapiés neighborhood if I were you. Also look out for pickpockets along Gran Vía and the surrounding streets late at night.

Like JamesC, I was mugged in Malasaña. On the other hand, I've often walked through Malasaña and the neighboring parts of Chueca without trouble. I think the difference the day I was robbed is that I looked like a target: I'd been up for 36 hours (just off the plane from the States), I had taken a wrong turn down a tiny blind alley, and looked lost. Normally, I walk purposefully and have no trouble.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments