Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#53098 - 10/02/02 02:26 PM Weather in Galicia and Cantabria on Dec/Jan?
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
I was planning a vacation to Galicia and Cantabria at the end of this year and I was wondering what the weather would be like during the end of December and beginning of January? Would that be a good or bad time to visit these 2 areas? Any and all comments are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

#53099 - 10/02/02 03:52 PM Re: Weather in Galicia and Cantabria on Dec/Jan?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Cornelio,

Travelling in December is a delight, all the lovely decorations and good cheer. I was in Galicia for Christmas last December and it was chilly, in the mid 40's, but warmer than Madrid, which was snowing when I left on the 24th, and 37ºF. Galicia is a bit drizzly, and if you go to Santiago, you will see the "llovizna" a drizzly, misty type rain, that wets your hair but does not permeate your clothes as much. It does wonders for your skin!

I was surprised with the weather, it was much milder than I had expected. I found it very comfortable, overall, and I'm from North Florida, which is somewhat like South Georgia! laugh laugh

Do bring a coat, hat and gloves. I brought an umbrella, but never used it.

Have a wonderful viaje!

#53100 - 10/02/02 05:44 PM Re: Weather in Galicia and Cantabria on Dec/Jan?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I recall someone else asked about driving conditions in the mountains in Galicia and maybe even Cantabria but don't think there were any responses so this will help. Must be a beautiful sight to see the horréos covered in snow.

I don't doubt the north/northwest of Spain is rainy/snowy during these winter months but when we were there over Easter it was just perfect! I don't think it rained once and had nearly clear skies the entire time. Everyone said it was unusual.

Good luck and have fun! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#53101 - 10/03/02 08:22 AM Re: Weather in Galicia and Cantabria on Dec/Jan?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Cantabria: Coastal Cantabria (Laredo, Santander, San Vicente de la Barquera) will be all right as long as you have a southerly wind coming down off the mountains. If the wind turns northerly, forget it! The (la Palomera) bus from Santander to Fuente Dé en los Picos de Europa terminates at Potes in the Winter.

Coastal Galicia has a mild maritime climate; but if you go inland to Lugo, it will be very cold. Expect rain and temperatures between 3 and 6 degrees (celsius - 37 to 43 farenheit) in Rias Bajas and along the coast Tuy - A'Corunha and several miles inland. There's more overnight cooling the further inland you go: Santiago's overnight temperature on a clear night will be much cooler than Vigo's. It's the coastal climate. Take a wide-brimmed 'flop' hat and a poncho. You might as well put a scallop shell on your Poncho. In that getup you'll look like a Pilgrim anyway.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2319 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments