Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#53001 - 09/12/02 12:18 AM Weather in Granada
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Its looking like I am hopefully going to be headed to La Universidad de Granada for next semester (Im keeping my fingers crossed wink ). Can anybody tell me what kind of weather to expect in Granada for January to around May? I know it is hot in the summer, but what about winter?

#53002 - 09/12/02 10:15 AM Re: Weather in Granada
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Congratulations!!!! Can I come?!

I was there from January thru May when I studied there myself. January can be fairly cold, although no snow normally, unless you go up to the Sierras. I think it gets down into the 40's or so, so you'll really need all kinds of clothing.

I can tell you that most of the homes (at least the ones who take in students) do NOT have central heat, so it can get very cold at night! They will have small heaters under I'd bring flannel pj's, at least 1-2 sweaters, a semi-warm jacket. If you plan on going up to the Sierra Nevada mountains, you'll need a winter coat/gloves/etc.

Once it hits May, it's very nice out, I remember for 'dia de la Cruz' which is 2 May, we even had shorts on!

If you need any more info, let me know!

-GG

#53003 - 09/12/02 01:44 PM Re: Weather in Granada
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Thanks Granada Girl! I am starting to get very excited laugh Any other advice on Granada? I spent the summer in Bilbao, but have NO idea what to expect as far as andalucia goes. I know Granada is a smaller sized town... is there still a lot to do, movies, shopping, night-life etc? If there is no metro, how do you get all over the city? Is there a bus system or something? Any advice would be GREAT smile
~Kelly

#53004 - 09/12/02 02:10 PM Re: Weather in Granada
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
You'll find plenty to do in Granada, and that's after you've "exhausted" the tourist options. Being in Illinois, you won't find anything about the Granada winter that is something you can't take. I was there in May a few years back and it was still temperate. You're near the sea, so the climate is moderated by the water. The other climatic feature I remember is that there seemed to be a constant refreshing breeze blowing in Granada.

Climb up to Suspiro del Moro and enjoy the views. And learn why it's called what it's called:

"Cry like a boy for what you couldn't hold onto like a man" -Words of loving encouragement to Boabdil, last Moorish ruler of Granada from his mother upon losing his kingdom to Fernando and Isabel "Los Reyes Católicos"

Granada is truly a gem and shouldn't be missed by the serious Spainiac.

#53005 - 09/13/02 11:05 AM Re: Weather in Granada
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Hi Kelly,

I was in Granada last week. I walked all over the place and noticed that there were several campuses spread out all over the modern (non Moorish) parts of the city. I don't think there was a metro (I can't vouch for that), but there is an extensive bus system. (Was very slow & crowded during peak, pre-lunch hours.)

I saw what appeared to be students (young people holding books) ... and I sighed ... ah to be a student again!

By the way I was told that Granada was renown for the tapeo and I found that to be true. One place called El Guejarreño was particularly good and cheap (there were several locations). Each customer gets one tapa per drink and I mean a really substantial tapa.

Also the Renfe station was very close to one of the campuses.

Good luck!

Churrito

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#53006 - 09/14/02 12:32 AM Re: Weather in Granada
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
HI Again Kelar!

Granada is a smaller city, so they don't have a metro. There is a bus system which you can take to pretty much any part of the city. It's also small enough to walk normally unless you want to go to further outskirts or don't want to tackle the walk up the Alhambra hill.

There is GREAT nightlife in Granada, particularly when the university is in!! I believe the popular area for bars has changed since I was there, but we never got tired of the bar scene as there were so many pubs, bars, bodegas, taperias that you're constantly discovering new ones! There are also movie theaters, symphony concerts in the Auditorio Manuel de Falla up on the Alhambra hill, and of course there's the Alhambra, which is free on Sundays!(Or is it Sundays after 3 it's free?...you'll have to check that.) It's so awesome to go up there with a little picnic lunch and overlook the city or see the mountains in the distance! There's also a somewhat new Federico Garcia Lorca Park kind of in between the mall and HiperCor, and of course, there's the Jardines Neptuno where you can catch flamenco shows!

I'm going to go now before Granada has to pay me for making a commercial for them, but let me know if you want to know anything else!

Have a great time!!

-GG

Do you know where you'll be studying? My bet is the facultad with all the rest of the extranjeros. That's apart from the main university, but it's right near the Alhambra, Plaza Nueva, Renfe (as Churrito pointed out), and everyday you get to pass the monument depicting Cristobal Colon with Isabel with the gorgeous mountains in the background!! (I'm getting teary-eyed thinking of it!!)

Shopping-wise, no need to fear there either. There are so many shops all over the place, especially shoe stores!! There is also a shopping mall (nothing to brag about), and of course the Hipercor!

Day/weekend trips aren't too tough from Granada either. The coast is about 1-2 hours from there, depending on which beach town you're going to, Sevila is about 2 hours away, Madrid, Ronda, and Gibraltar are all about 5 hours away. You can pretty much catch a bus or train to anywhere from there.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1943 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments