Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#52860 - 08/15/02 03:43 PM Re: Asturias - Day of Americas Sept 18?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I consider Asturias to be one of the few places on earth that delivers what it advertises. The slogan they've been using for more than a decade now is "paraíso natural", and that's exactly what it is.

Asturias, to me, has everything I could want in a location: majestic mountains, beautiful beaches, hearty history (it's the oldest Christian part of Spain...), raging rivers, etc.

There's a plaque just outside of Segovia in the the little town called Zomorrostro that reads "No conozco a nadie que habiéndose acercado a este lugar, no haya sido conquistado por su sorprendiente vista". That plaque applies to the whole of Asturias, cities included.

Asturias is a don't miss destination for those who truly love natural beauty. Additionally, the asturianos are typically open, friendly, and helpful. Since tourism from outside isn't as common in Asturias as say, Andalucía, they treat you more like family and less like a commodity.

I spent five fine months there years ago and always long to go back. Some great places to include on an itinerary are: Covadonga (and the two alpine lakes Enol and Ercina), Cangas de Onís, the many "arte rupestre" caves (even though Altamira is pretty much off-limits, there are others), Gijón, Luarca, Laredo, etc.

There are seriously a thousand different places to visit. One of the most beautiful drives I've ever taken was the west-to-east drive from Lugo to Santander, following the "main" road through Asturias. Breathtaking.

JJP: I hope this suffices as an "opinion"...Give a moose a muffin...

#52861 - 08/15/02 03:51 PM Re: Asturias - Day of Americas Sept 18?
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
Next to Barcelona for me, Asturias is BEAUTIFUL. I reminded my of the Central Coast of California. We stayed in Llanes(I think that's how it's spelled). It is a beautiful city. The Asturian cuisine is mmmm...mmmmm good.The c(s)idra is great to drink and an art to watch being poured. I especially enjoyed eating the chorizo en cidra. I understand that Asturias is the one area of Spain that was never controlled by the Moors. Although I didn't go there I understand that Gijon is also beautiful. We also enjoyed a dish called Fabada. The only thing that was a little strong for me was this cheese called.....I can't remember but you'll know it when you smell it.
Is this another Spanish/American uniting? I love to hear those love stories:)

#52862 - 08/15/02 04:05 PM Re: Asturias - Day of Americas Sept 18?
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Quote:
I hope this suffices as an "opinion"...Give a moose a muffin...
CaliBasco

Yes, that post definitely sufficed ... and so quick! Thanks again.

toddy,
It's great to finally find a thread where we're not at each other's throats! Thanks for your experiences re Austurias.

And yes, “Fabada Austuriana” is simply divine ... although truly to be avoided in hot weather! The soon to be bride makes her famous fabada every year during the winter.

#52863 - 08/15/02 04:17 PM Re: Asturias - Day of Americas Sept 18?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Even though we disagree [elsewhere], we agree [here]. That's why I like this board. Thanks to all for your posts...wherever they are on the board.

#52864 - 08/15/02 05:11 PM Re: Asturias - Day of Americas Sept 18?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Toddy,
The name of the cheese is Cabrales and you can buy it via Tienda.com . It is indeed a strong cheese laugh , but if you acquire the taste, none better!

#52865 - 08/15/02 06:50 PM Re: Asturias - Day of Americas Sept 18?
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
I'm still trying to get the taste. I buy it at La Española but still like my monchego better. However, I also buy cidra, and after a "few" of those basos, EVERYTHING tastes great!

viva Asturias y los Amores!

#52866 - 08/15/02 08:36 PM Re: Asturias - Day of Americas Sept 18?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Now I'm really excited.

Since I started this thread I thought I'd update you on my itinerary:

I rearranged everything so that I could still stay 2 nights each in Santander and Leon AND make it to Oviedo for 1 day and night on September 19th. So I'll be there for the festival and get to experience more time in this part of Spain. laugh

Thanks to all for sharing a little about Asturius. It's hard to find alot of information about the area. And I've got to try the cheese (I love strong blue cheese, is it similar) confused and definately the cider!

#52867 - 08/15/02 08:51 PM Re: Asturias - Day of Americas Sept 18?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
If the local bus service in Asturius doesn't reach the village you want to go to, you can always hitch a ride on the donkeys heading in your direction. Use caution though, since most of the paths are only as wide as the biggest ass in town.

As CaliBasco can confirm, when there's a festival in one of the villages, most of the people in surrounding towns sit on their asses until they reach the town, then they get off their asses long enough to celebrate and go home, with their asses on automatic pilot. Still, you must be careful, because it's possible that a tired ass will fall over the edge of a cliff and you won't have an ass to sit on.

Wolf (Who has been checking around Asturius to see if anyone has a picture of CaliBasco's ass. The one he rode to all the festivals - rolleyes )

#52868 - 08/16/02 06:35 AM Re: Asturias - Day of Americas Sept 18?
guada Offline

Loc: argentina
I have to say something about Asturias:

IT´S THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH!

If you have the opportunity you should go... you´ll love it!! Landscapes, people, parties... it has it all!

Guada cool

ps: I want to hear your opinion in case you go!!

#52869 - 08/16/02 12:09 PM Re: Asturias - Day of Americas Sept 18?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Wolf: I put the ASS in ASSturiASS...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments