Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#52830 - 07/24/02 11:06 PM Discovery by Miguel de Unamuno and origin of Isla de Perejil
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
It is often said that sometimes fact is stranger than fiction. No truer words can contain the finding at the Casa Museo de Miguel de Unamuno in Salamanca, Spain.

According to an article in ABC.es , Miguel de Unamuno,Basque philosopher, linguist,novelist, and then rector of the University of Salamanca wrote an article in June 27, 1902 regarding the origin of the Island of Perejil. Titled "España-Perejil y la Isla de Calypso" the essay is an etomological investigation into the origin of the island of Perejil. Unamuno found that Perejil was originally named Hispania. Unamuno concluded that in ancient times Spain owed its name to the insignificant speck of an island we now know as Perejil.

I think that were Unamuno alive today he would be cheering for Perejil's return to Spain for that very fact alone. For at one time Perejil stood as a symbol of Spain. Fascinating! smile

#52831 - 07/26/02 08:18 PM Re: Discovery by Miguel de Unamuno and origin of Isla de Perejil
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Very interesting, indeed, But really, an uninhabited island 600 feet from Africa, which can be WADED to from Africa at low tide, should be administered (and thats really what we're talking about, isn't it?) by the nearest African nation. That's Morrocco. Sorry.

OH NO!! Did I just open the Perejil Island Invasion thread again!!??

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

#52832 - 07/27/02 03:56 AM Re: Discovery by Miguel de Unamuno and origin of Isla de Perejil
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I think Perejil should join NAFTA! Ooops! Close me! Close me now! Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

#52833 - 07/27/02 11:55 AM Re: Discovery by Miguel de Unamuno and origin of Isla de Perejil
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
So which island is better, Perejil or Mallorca? I think Mallorca is more cosmopolitan, but Perejil is more traditional. I like that...plus Mallorca is lame and full of whiners.

#52834 - 07/27/02 03:47 PM Re: Discovery by Miguel de Unamuno and origin of Isla de Perejil
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
MadridMan, perhaps this may be a propitious time to end this parsley thread. Please let it die a dignified death! laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1825 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments