Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#52793 - 07/23/02 04:22 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
laugh laugh laugh
ha! ha! haaaa!!!

#52794 - 07/23/02 10:43 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
go for it!!!!! rolleyes

#52795 - 07/23/02 11:17 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Trade agreements in and around the Americas are a dime a dozen. Here's just one source of some of them - http://www.sice.oas.org/tradee.asp It's amazing how many exist, and I think that the future will show that Spain's tremendous influence in South America, and Central America, will create an agreement that Spain will honor, and be part of, with the US, and Britain, in the future, since Britain's ties to Canada, and Carribean interests are what they are, and the US is cultivating the Americas for the future.

Of course the reason they'll seek out these avenues for import/export will partially be the fact that EU is going to look for cheap labor to the east, but it won't pull Spain or Britain away from EU. But that's just an opinion.

The difference between this "new type of alliance" goes beyond the scope of the WTO, and that's what makes it better for participants, because they can effectively shut Asia, and Southeast Asia out of the picture, creating different avenues for sales.

But all is subject to change. According to sources at the World Bank, at least one trade agreement between nations is modified every working day of the year, and at least one "new agreement," even though not officially beyond the draft stage, emerges nearly every week, creating changes that test the merits of other treaties, and makes their work extremely difficult, when it comes to weighing their efforts in many nations, and changes the balance of power that smaller nations wield, when it comes to the world economy.

Will Spain become part of NAFTA? Probably not, but it doesn't take much to change the name from NAFTA to something else to make it work. Especially since international business ends up dictating where the emerging markets are, and influence their governments to make agreements that will benefit them, even if they don't benefit the people of the nation itself. Finding cheaper labor markets outside a nation's boundaries certainly doesn't help the people. Just business. In the end, nations lose more of their industrial base, just like the US, which is no longer a "world supplier," but considered an "importer," by today's market standards. A trend most average Americans would like to see changed. We're becoming a "service nation," instead of an "industrial nation," and that bites! It only leads to less pay for Americans, as the job markets dry up.

On the other hand, it would sure be cool if the US and Spain had a great trade agreement, where we could get Spanish products without the heavy taxation, wouldn't it? laugh After all, we keep shipping them our "wonderful products - rolleyes " like McDonalds and Pizza Hut, don't we?

Wolf (Who thinks the people should decide on what trade agreements should be in place, not businesses that threaten politicians with support of another candidate, if they fail to deliver what they want.)

#52796 - 07/23/02 11:34 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Germany and France aren't going to "go" anywhere...they're more concerned about their own problems with the EU than where the labor will come from. Germany faces double-digit unemployment, and France is headed there in a TGV. What they've gotten in return for the "prestige" of the EU and the "stability" of the EMU's common currency is a boatload of foreign debt they get to subsidize.

Spain is no stranger to high unemployment, but the real issue for the stronger EU economies is how they will end up bailing out the weaker EMU countries that can't wait to sign up for the common currency. Why the heck do you think the UK is "taking so long" in adopting the euro? They have such a high GDP, and are more tied to the US economy than the EU economy, that by joining the EU and the EMU, they'll end up subsidizing the "Club Med" countries (Italy, Spain, Greece, etc.) who waved bye-bye to heavy industry long ago and decided to put most of their eggs in the "come visit and spend $$$" basket.

On second thought, let's do close this thread. It is silly.

CaliBasco [Who only likes it when the euro is low!]

#52797 - 07/23/02 12:51 PM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
CaliBasco's evaluation of the situation in both France & Germany is accurate. France never wanted imports, just exports, and Germany's unemployment rate is so high the government's asking business to support the German economy at this time, not look for cheaper labor markets. Of course, as time goes on, this may change. But, for now, it's going to remain as it is, and the battle has just started between the German workers & their employers, as to wage levels, and benefit package changes, that will make German products less costly, and more attractive on the world market.

I too appreciate a weak Euro. With the rate where it is now, a trip that would have cost $2,000 a year ago, would now cost nearly $3,500. I think I'll wait for it to go down, so I can get more bang for my buck the next time I hit Europe.

Wolf (Who agrees with Cali's "Club Med" reference - wink )

#52798 - 07/24/02 04:05 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Cali, congratulations on your 1000th post, of which I imagine 950 said something similar to "lordie lordie did you graduate high school?" or "not another ETA post... I'm going to throw myself off the pier..."

#52799 - 07/24/02 09:32 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
Sorry folks but Germany NEEDS workers. An educated East EU would suffice. Also those Spanish hand-outs would probably decrease, as many EU economists point out.

As Latin America emerges, investment will increase. The US is heavily involved already in Latin America, as is Spain. Far more than any other two countries. My sources tell me that Aznar/PP, Fox, and Bush ARE working on a way for Spain to enter NAFTA. Whether you like it or not, there will a new trade agreement between Latin America, Spain, the UK(wolf you're right)and the US. And NAFTA, AFTA, SAFTA, "a rose by any other name will smell as sweet."

#52800 - 07/24/02 11:12 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Asterault: I hadn't even noticed even though I knew I was close...your evaluation of my posts shows that you've read them all. Thanks for your support... laugh

CaliBasco [Who is always right, really smart, and incredibly humble] rolleyes

#52801 - 07/24/02 12:40 PM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Smells like a load of rosy BS to me.

My sources, however, have heard that the Klingons are very interested in a free trade agreement with Spain, however are still mired in internal debate that they looked different on the old TV show and the new one. Said Klingons, actually, have a long standing claim on Ceuta too, countering the claim the big ear guys have on Gibraltar.

#52802 - 07/24/02 01:40 PM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
laugh

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2027 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments