Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#52783 - 07/20/02 11:38 PM Spain should join NAFTA!
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
My friend just got back from a business trip to Argentina. He gave me some inside information about a timetable for Argentina and the rest of the Americas (minus Cuba for now) joining NAFTA. I really believe that Spain would benefit greatly by joining NAFTA and saying adios to the EU. As soon as the EU extends east anyways, a lot of the jobs will go there because of the lower wages. Also, Spain would probably lose a lot of the money they get from the EU for agriculture. With so many Spanish banks in Latin America, Spain would profit greatly from all of the opportunities especially as the world economy gets rolling again!

#52784 - 07/21/02 04:33 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Toddy writes:
Quote:
... some inside information about a timetable for Argentina and the rest of the Americas (minus Cuba for now) joining NAFTA. I really believe that Spain would benefit greatly by joining NAFTA and saying adios to the EU ...
The 'NA' in NAFTA is an abbreviation for 'North American.' Spain is in Europe, not North America!
Maybe your friend's Argentina contact visualizes some other free trade partnership with the U.S., but it probably won't be NAFTA.

Spain and its Latin/South American partners have always maintained cordial, free trade business relationships; and that includes Cuba.

The EU has already extended eastward. Many western European working class people don't like that cheap labor coming from the Czech Republic or other former eastern bloc nations. In Germany, some neo Nazi's are taking matters into their own hands. Maybe Spain's Falange will enjoy a rebirth.

#52785 - 07/21/02 05:37 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Uff... please bag this thread, for sheer idiocy. It did give me a laugh though.

#52786 - 07/21/02 05:55 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
My husband says " V A T P C ". He said that in Spanish, of course. And of course the Spaniards would know what that means. laugh

#52787 - 07/21/02 07:47 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Oh come on!! ( wink ) Let's give some serious consideration to toddy's idea. (maybe it was tongue-in-cheek ..... just as my reply is)

Afterall, Spain DID "OFFICIALLY FIND" the Americas back in 1492 (not that the "locals" ever considered themselves to be lost). So maybe as one of the "founding fathers" of said Americas, we could "Grandfather Clause" Spain INTO NAFTA! Yeah! Sure!

Hmmm.. Well.. Maybe this ISN'T such a good idea. If we did that we'd probably also have to let the British in too. AND WHO WANTS THAT!? wink

(Dislaimer: The above statement WAS tongue-in-cheek. My wonderful computer-geek-brother-in-law is 100% British and my nephew is 50% British and I have nothing against them OR their rubbish. wink )

But seriously folks, from what little I've seen in Latin America and read about it over recent years, Spain has been making a strong push for greater "rule" over the Latin American countries. Telefonica is BIG there as are, as toddy said, many of its banks. And while Spain's economy isn't much better than ours in the USA these days, things are STILL cheaper in Latin America so they're (Spain) smart to buy now while the price is low.

Who knows... in 100 years the USA might be as the states of Mexico are now and Mexico and Latin America could be THE place to be in the world. And I'm sure Spain wants to stake their claim NOW before it's too late... (or before the USA takes over. Hmph! rolleyes ) Next thing you know they'll put a McDonalds in Machu Picchu's Hut of the Caretaker of the Funerary Rock and change the name of the ruins to "Walt Disney's Machu Picchu" - you'll see Mickey and Minny dancing around the Principal Temple. rolleyes

Saldos, MadridMan smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#52788 - 07/21/02 10:40 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
toddy Offline

You are so right Madridman!
Spain has a REAL golden opportunity. NAFTA will become AFTA or whatever name, but remember NAFTA is not the same as the EU. Many people don't realize that Mexico yes poor Mexico receives more EXPORTED American goods than any other country in the world. With having a mastery of the language alone could propel Spain as a world leader instead of having to follow France and Germany and Italy and the UK all the time!

#52789 - 07/21/02 11:08 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
The original idea of the whole strategy was that the country will become (from business perspective) the link between LA and the EU and to benefit from that.
The idea of using that as a competitive advantage for the country was common talk in universities...some time ago. I heard myself it in a competive strategy class. The tricky point was that it was discussed when neither Spanish companies were in LA, nor Spain itself was in the EU.....(early 80's)...

It worked it seems, nevertheless Politicains a and managers are debating for the next step. Probably is a combination of NAFTA-EU agreeement plus some Spain-La country by country treaties, discussion is on the air now, because it's clear that the old model has survived its goals, already covered. This combinated with a new idea, is not said that good results cannot be achieved directing the efforts into Asia and Eastern Europe. This idea is starting to be entertained in certain circles, but it is a long topic.

#52790 - 07/21/02 07:47 PM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
As I have said time ago, I really don't see Spain leaving the EU.

Of course the USA is more than appealing in a economic point of view, but the EU is not only free commerce. When Spain joined the EU in 1986, we had a 60% of the average richness per capita of a european. Now we are at the 80%. How has these been accomplished? Of course we have had something to do there... but the most important thing is that the richest european countries (mainly Germany and France) have been giving Spain each year billions of dollars (I'm not exaggerating). With this, they gain acces to a better market in which their products can be achieved.

It would be unfair to leave EU now that we have been receiving money for 15 years...

Also, politicaly Europe gains weight by acting all together (althought it is sometimes pathetic...).

The european countries are our neighbours, no matter how well the relationship with the US is.

Perhaps a wider agreement NAFTA-EU could work...

Fernando

#52791 - 07/22/02 09:19 PM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
toddy Offline

Fernando, remember, when the EU goes east most analysts believe Germany and France will say bye bye to Spain. Not matter how you say it,BOTH France and Germany are ONLY concered about their own citizens and stockholders. East EU cheap labor is all they need to "try" to compete with NAFTA extension. As Madridman puts, please stake your claim now!

#52792 - 07/23/02 03:42 AM Re: Spain should join NAFTA!
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
This is not some group of illiterate peasants looking for handouts, this is a first world country and is quite capable of surviving in the EU just fine. Please go back to Mrs. William's 6th period social studies class and leave the politics to the grown ups. I stake my claim to whatever organization will shut you up!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1789 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments