Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52761 - 07/18/02 04:27 AM Mexicans in Spain?
Juan Manuel Offline

Loc: Ca
Hi, everyone I'm new to this forum and was just wondering if there was communities of Mexicans living in Spain?Im Mexican and have lived in California where there is plenty of Mexican Barrios like East LA ect.I have never been to Spain but plan to visit your beautiful country soon.Ive heard some rumors that Spanish people dont really like Mexicans and they are Prejudice because of our Indian heritage.I know It might be stereo-typing Spaniars by asking,so I apologize in advance.Is this rumors or is there some truth to that?.Also are there alot of South Americans living in Spain?

#52762 - 07/18/02 07:32 AM Re: Mexicans in Spain?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi Juan Manuel.

I think that the mexican community in Spain is minimal. The reason is that when mexicans decide to emigrate from their country they choose USA to do it, because it offers more oportunities and it is very near to Mexico.

The big south-american communities in Spain are colombians, equatorians and dominicans. Recently an amount of argentinians have come (due to the crisis in Argentina).

As for spaniards don't liking mexicans, wasn't it the contrary? wink We always listen here how bad spaniards are considered in South America, where some people still see us as colonizators and conquerors. I have never heard anyone here saying anything bad about mexicans. My father and my sister have been in Mexico and all they said was that it is great. Besides, I love mexican food smile

Fernando

#52763 - 07/18/02 11:46 AM Re: Mexicans in Spain?
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Not a lot of Mexicans. They head for EEUU. In Spain there are a lot of Ecuadoreans, Argentinians (recently), and some Colombians, although they emigrate to the States usually too.

South Americans usually don't receive any bad treatment, however like anywhere there are some right awful bastards who mistreat them. Not too common though.

And I, for one, must say that I favor the latinos as they STAY OFF OUR ISLANDS in the straits! laugh

#52764 - 07/18/02 04:17 PM Re: Mexicans in Spain?
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Juan Manuel: My friend I've traveled with to Spain is Mexican, from Guadalajara. I would say Spaniards, on the whole, are more open to Mexican culture than many US Americans. Our friend's wedding (Spanish bride, Mexican groom) up in the Basque Country was joined by a traveling Mariachi Band from Mexico City. A very ingenious Spanish mother located them in Madrid, and coaxed them up to play after the wedding. I was amazed, the whole town of Lekeitio came out to hear the melodious tunes of the Mariachi. From the church we moved down to the ocean and they gave the town a quick concert while we took wedding pictures. A great memory! I think you can find discrimination all over, but from my experiences I'd say you'll be warmly received in Spain.

#52765 - 07/18/02 04:25 PM Re: Mexicans in Spain?
Juan Manuel Offline

Loc: Ca
I thank all of you for your honest responses. It gives me even more reason to visit your country having such nice open minded people.BTW that would be quite a sight to see a Mariachi at a Spanish wedding lol.

#52766 - 07/27/02 03:59 AM Re: Mexicans in Spain?
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
De donde eres en México? He pasado tiempo allí en el norte del pais, en Chihuahua y Monterrey.

For non Spanish speakers, that means:

Juan: Start the invasion now, "Aztlan" will rise again, and the flag of México will fly over San Fransisco once more. Pepino base out.

#52767 - 07/28/02 05:42 PM Re: Mexicans in Spain?
El Cid d'España Offline

LOL

#52768 - 07/30/02 11:02 AM Re: Mexicans in Spain?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I was able to decipher Juan's first message. Don't be fooled. It was a clandestine effort to gauge resistance when the Mexican army attacks Madrid! Decoded, in part, it reads:

Beware españoles, the vengeance of Moctezuma is at the doors, the streets will flow with blood of the seed of Cortez!

Consider yourselves warned...today East L.A. and La Puente, tomorrow Getafe!

#52769 - 07/30/02 08:45 PM Re: Mexicans in Spain?
Habanera Offline

Loc: islamorada, Florida
Well, I lived in Madrid, worked there also, and had a large peña of friends, all Spaniards, and by my experience, I can assure you that they LOVE people from other places, they get truly friendly when you tell them you are from here or there or wheverer, specially if you are from America, El Caribe specially, Ecuador, Peru,etc., ...I was recently In Madrid, and, you know what? I hardly saw any SUECOS, they used to flood Spain at one time, specially the beaches in the Summers, but I rarely saw swedish people on this last trip...

#52770 - 07/31/02 09:26 AM Re: Mexicans in Spain?
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Well, I was in my favourite Mexican restaurant the other night (are we allowed give publicity?) and I picked up a copy of the Mexican community in Madrid's magazine. i saw that they have an association and even a web page. I've since lost the magazine, so now I'll just have to go back and get another one so I can give you the details. The wonderful Rita, who owns the place, is sure to force another few free Margaritas on me, so I hope you'll be grateful for my efforts:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments